• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• richardandtracy

• Helen350

• Ian the Jock

• lovemy51

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes, Helen I ended up using the complete Bock system because although the nibs do fit and perform well, the problem I had was that the pen did not always start after being clipped in my shirt pocket, I work in an ED and am regularly needing the pen to re start after a short hiatus. Never had a staring problem with the complete Bock Nib/Feed/Collar. Anyway, you have to buy the entire Bock system just to get the nib, so why not. The cost difference is negligible anyway. I love the 159 as a work pen and with the complete Bock system fitted the pens are a dream. Patients and staff alike always admire the bright red one :)

PS: I get Bock Nibs sent all the way from Beaufort Pens in Scotland. They only charge 3 Pounds Sterling P&P all the way to Australia. A top company! Obviously the usual disclaimer about just being a satisfied customer applies,

I will have to give that Bock system a try in the near future. I will try it with my purple 159. Cost with P&P to the States is 13.10 pounds sterling ($17.04 US). My first pen was given to me by the Chief, Division of Cardiology many yrs ago. He gave me a Waterman Phileas, which I still have in my collection.. Last year I exchanged the medium nib for a broad nib. As the Admin. for the Cardiac Cath Lab at that time, my Waterman received quite a work out! In that setting we do need our pens to start up without problems. Thanks for the tip.fpn_1474171225__watermanphileas.jpg

I love the Waterman Phileas. You know Force has a whole thread about these on the Waterman forum. Incidentally, Beaufort has 2 postage options and I always use the cheap one....never had a problem as they are a first class company.

Yes, Helen I ended up using the complete Bock system because although the nibs do fit and perform well, the problem I had was that the pen did not always start after being clipped in my shirt pocket, I work in an ED and am regularly needing the pen to re start after a short hiatus. Never had a staring problem with the complete Bock Nib/Feed/Collar. Anyway, you have to buy the entire Bock system just to get the nib, so why not. The cost difference is negligible anyway. I love the 159 as a work pen and with the complete Bock system fitted the pens are a dream. Patients and staff alike always admire the bright red one :)

PS: I get Bock Nibs sent all the way from Beaufort Pens in Scotland. They only charge 3 Pounds Sterling P&P all the way to Australia. A top company! Obviously the usual disclaimer about just being a satisfied customer applies,

Hi Ian, thanks for your contribution - I'm wondering, though, how you manage to fit the Bock collar into a Jinhao 159? I can easily remove the nib and feed (they're friction fit), but before I experiment and do something irreversible, I'm intrigued to know how you go about removing the Jinhao collar from inside the grip section...

[i have a couple of 060 nib assemblies on order with Beaufort, waiting for stock to arrive - and am now wondering whether I should add 1 #6 nib or two!]

Hi Ian, thanks for your contribution - I'm wondering, though, how you manage to fit the Bock collar into a Jinhao 159? I can easily remove the nib and feed (they're friction fit), but before I experiment and do something irreversible, I'm intrigued to know how you go about removing the Jinhao collar from inside the grip section...

[i have a couple of 060 nib assemblies on order with Beaufort, waiting for stock to arrive - and am now wondering whether I should add 1 #6 nib or two!]

Yes, it was an issue to start with and the answer is less than scientific I am sorry to admit to. Because the pen effectively was no use at work and only cost £3.00 ( 6 Dollars) I took a risk. After easily removing the feed and nib as you described, I took a steak knife and pushed it into the collar until it gripped. It then screwed out the original collar with minimal effort. The Bock collar was then a fraction smaller than the original. My solution was to very tightly wrap one revolution of insulation tape around the collar. I then used the tiniest slither of Fairy washing up liquid to lubricate the collar into the aperture. The Fairy liquid soon drys or disapears. The nib, feed and collar fit well. I have now done this to 3 pens and all perform brilliantly. I also use the Beaufort converter or a Waterman cartridge.

Not scientific my friend but very effective indeed

I really like this pen, and of course, your writing. I looked for this model but did not find it. Would you mind sharing where you purchased it? TIA!

I was doing a bit of writing about the ship Rms Queen Elizabeth, and just felt that this pen and ink combo somehow seemed appropriate, especially the pen.

fpn_1469111099__572_1.jpg

fpn_1469111138__572_2.jpg

Ian

Hero Broad nib set, 1.5 nib, inked with Sheaffer purple ink, which has some shading, something I did not expect.

For $5-6, this Hero pen set #5028 is fun to write with, and the nibs are surprisingly smooth. Of the 3-nibs, which one do you enjoy writing with?

I really like this pen, and of course, your writing. I looked for this model but did not find it. Would you mind sharing where you purchased it? TIA!

It was gifted to me by a fellow fpn member, and I believe it has only recently been discontinued.

They pop up on ebay from time to time, but your best bet would be to contact Jewellery mathematics through ebay and ask if he can get you one.

I know he goes to the Hero factory shop and they apparently have "Every" Hero.

It's worth a shot.

Ian

For $5-6, this Hero pen set #5028 is fun to write with, and the nibs are surprisingly smooth. Of the 3-nibs, which one do you enjoy writing with?

Probably this nib, it works well with college ruled paper for practice. The 1.1 writes a little less crisp, more of a stub writer IMHO. The 1.9 makes me write larger than my natural preference on pre-lined paper (wide rule, college rule or legal pads for practice). All of these nibs are less crisp that what I prefer but you can't beat the price. Great for practice or teaching others.

That being said, I do use the Parellel Pilot pens at times, which has probably spoiled me. I also have several vintage Osmiroid 75 pens with their interchangeable nibs, that pen is one of my favorite for every day calligraphy and practice, very smooth and I love the piston filler.

Those of you who have this pen, do you also have a little gap between the nib and the barrel? It almost looks like there should be an O ring there or a band. Mine is screwed together tightly and there is still a gap.

post-129843-0-03737600-1474250646_thumb.jpegpost-129843-0-11935200-1474250691_thumb.jpeg

Edited by SevenInkyFingers

Probably this nib, it works well with college ruled paper for practice. The 1.1 writes a little less crisp, more of a stub writer IMHO. The 1.9 makes me write larger than my natural preference on pre-lined paper (wide rule, college rule or legal pads for practice). All of these nibs are less crisp that what I prefer but you can't beat the price. Great for practice or teaching others.

That being said, I do use the Parellel Pilot pens at times, which has probably spoiled me. I also have several vintage Osmiroid 75 pens with their interchangeable nibs, that pen is one of my favorite for every day calligraphy and practice, very smooth and I love the piston filler.

Those of you who have this pen, do you also have a little gap between the nib and the barrel? It almost looks like there should be an O ring there or a band. Mine is screwed together tightly and there is still a gap.

attachicon.gifimage.jpegattachicon.gifimage.jpeg

There is a gap with the 1.5 & 1.9 nibs. If you look closely at the photo on Ebay, you will see the gap through the sealed pak. Interesting in that I prefer the nibs on the Hero vs. my Osmiroid 75 nibs. I do admit I am not a calligrapher, so my need for 'crisp lines' is not the same as yours. I tend to use my 1.5 for cards, letter writing & envelopes (for the most part). I do not use the 1.1 often because many of my other pens have 1.1 stubs nibs I prefer to write with. I use the 1.9 for special projects. I agree, you can't beat the price.

My first Chinese pen was a cheap copy of the Hero 329 followed almost immediately by a lot of 6 genuine Hero 616's purchased from mentag (aka yespen) on E-bay. I loved the 616 so much that I have sense purchased a really nice 1949 Parker 51 in dark forest green with a gold filled cap and several Parker 21 Supers. What is my daily carry pen? It is still this Hero 616. The nib and cap have been with me for 5 years now. I accidentally cracked the barrel of my first black and silver daily carry pen. I loved the smoothness of the nib so much that I just transferred the nib and the cap (with its gold-tone clip...a custom modification on my part) to the replacement barrel, sac, and feed. So, which pen gets the most compliments...one of my Parkers? On rare occasion, when I pull out my Parker 51 and hand it to someone to use, I will get a complement. When I pull out the Hero 616 to uncap it and jot something down I routinely hear, "that's a nice pen." I hate to tell the person making the complement that I have been hard pressed to spend $8.00 on the thing which is why it is generally my daily carry pen. It is expendable. By the way, my daily carry Hero 616 is inked with Parker Quink Permanent Black. I can always be assured that, regardless the cheapness of the paper I may encounter out in the field, the Hero 616 and Parker Quink will perform.

post-125189-0-68722500-1474317023_thumb.jpg

post-125189-0-65877600-1474318257_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bristol24

“The only thing most people do better than anyone else is read their own handwriting.”  John Adams

The Hero 616 is one of my favorites as well. I have some 616-2 pens on order (1 yellow, 1blue).

I have a 329 that I'm using today, green with Higgins Black ink.

I like the Eternal Black as it's really black, and easily available.

I had a Hero 100 section crack on me while I was looking at it. My three 616's have been to hell and back and they still work. I agree it's cheap and expendable. It's my most reliable chinese pen set (I have one in black, maroon and green). And there is no white plastic inner cap to repair!

I like the Eternal Black as it's really black, and easily available.

easily available, yes. But I must have a different lot that you, the one I have is definitely on the grey, watered-down side. Not really black at all.

Yes, it was an issue to start with and the answer is less than scientific I am sorry to admit to. Because the pen effectively was no use at work and only cost £3.00 ( 6 Dollars) I took a risk. After easily removing the feed and nib as you described, I took a steak knife and pushed it into the collar until it gripped. It then screwed out the original collar with minimal effort. The Bock collar was then a fraction smaller than the original. My solution was to very tightly wrap one revolution of insulation tape around the collar. I then used the tiniest slither of Fairy washing up liquid to lubricate the collar into the aperture. The Fairy liquid soon drys or disapears. The nib, feed and collar fit well. I have now done this to 3 pens and all perform brilliantly. I also use the Beaufort converter or a Waterman cartridge.

Not scientific my friend but very effective indeed

Thanks @ian1964, sounds like I might have to try this! I already have a few Bock nibs purchased with Kickstarter pens, so maybe I won't need to order another...

My first Chinese pen was a cheap copy of the Hero 329 followed almost immediately by a lot of 6 genuine Hero 616's purchased from mentag (aka yespen) on E-bay. I loved the 616 so much that I have sense purchased a really nice 1949 Parker 51 in dark forest green with a gold filled cap and several Parker 21 Supers. What is my daily carry pen? It is still this Hero 616. The nib and cap have been with me for 5 years now. I accidentally cracked the barrel of my first black and silver daily carry pen. I loved the smoothness of the nib so much that I just transferred the nib and the cap (with its gold-tone clip...a custom modification on my part) to the replacement barrel, sac, and feed. So, which pen gets the most compliments...one of my Parkers? On rare occasion, when I pull out my Parker 51 and hand it to someone to use, I will get a complement. When I pull out the Hero 616 to uncap it and jot something down I routinely hear, "that's a nice pen." I hate to tell the person making the complement that I have been hard pressed to spend $8.00 on the thing which is why it is generally my daily carry pen. It is expendable. By the way, my daily carry Hero 616 is inked with Parker Quink Permanent Black. I can always be assured that, regardless the cheapness of the paper I may encounter out in the field, the Hero 616 and Parker Quink will perform.

That is good to hear, I have almost all the nominal low end and mid range vintage Chinese hooded nib pens. The Hero lineage is kind of interesting. And yes I can testify to your finding. the 616 is indeed a better daily writter than a Parker 51 ( which I also own a couple ), The 100 Hero ( yes that's the name of the model ) was their first and was a re-engineered clone of the 51, then we have the Hero 100, which is somewhat reworked so it can be mass produced. The 616 is a greatly simplified but engineering vise a better pen. Firts it lose the cumbersome coupler ring / ink sac assembly and had it all now a single unit, and then the nib is now a tubular without index tab ( again easier to manufacture and easier for us user to tune and adjust ) but mostly the change is in allowing a much higher engineering tolerance to the assembly, that's why so many time even a misaligned 616 nib will just write. In fact Hero did even better with their later , even more down market 300 series. The nib unit inside the 300 series ( notably the 329/330 and their variants ) spot a longer feed contact area thus making ink flow even better , more consistent and smoother. One of my daily carry around pen is that of a Hero 330