What Chinese Pens Are You Using Today?

richardandtracy

It is a little different, but comparable in quality & general feel. In the un-modified state, it feels closer to the feel of the Duofold than the K316 simply due to the K316 having a brass barrel finial and the C806 having a resin one.

It has metal threads at the cap-barrel interface which is against it. The fact the finials are resin right from the start is in its favour. One thing I am concerned about are the differences between the nominally same item. I bought them from the same e-bay BIN, three weeks apart. The thread colours are different, there is different printing and the dark one has a brass liner in the barrel to give it more heft.

I am happy to select it alongside my K316's and Duofolds. I really can't see that it's any worse than the K316, and the only thing to decide between them is 'Is it cheaper today' or 'Do I prefer the colour today'. I think it really is down to how you feel on the day - they are that close quality & design wise.

Regards,

Richard

Edited to add:

I did a review here: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/312018-crocodile-806-a-good-quality-duofold-alternative/

Which, amongst other things includes side by side photos next to both sizes of Duofold and a K316. There is a long comparison with a Duofold, and a tiny little bit extra comparing with a K316 - only short as the K316 is so Duofold-like.

Thank you! Just seen your detailed review.

Personally, I'm quite happy with my K316 (no balance problems) and wouldn't have opted for the C806 - the nib is too small for such a large pen, and the clip is way too kitschy. But the grey-and-white pattern is really nice (actually, both patterns).

Happy writing!

Practice, patience, perseverance

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• richardandtracy

• Helen350

• Ian the Jock

• lovemy51

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Switched up pens from the Esterbrook Transitional J I used earlier today. 2nite I am using the Jinhao 650 Mother-of-Pearl/Abalone. Thought it was time to ink this pen. Beautiful iridescence in the mother-of-pearl/abalone.fpn_1471495546__jinhao650pen2.jpg

fpn_1471495582__jinhao650cap2.jpg

fpn_1471496080__jinhao6503.jpg

fpn_1471495671__jinhao650sample.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Today's lineup:

Baoer 517 w/J Herbin Vert Olive

Jinhao x750 w/ Knox 1.5 nib - Vert Olive

Jinhao 159 w/ Knox 1.1 nib - Ancient Copper

Baoer 517 w/Yu-Yake

Baoer 517 w/Ambre de Birmaine

29029468630_1bff3c50a1.jpgToday's line-up by Richila, on Flickr

My 159 is looking pitiful; it might be time for a new pen. ;)

Edited by richila

• 2 weeks later...

Currently using a Baoer 801 in the Aurora Borealis finish filled with Bernanke Black from Noodlers. Pen writes with no effort and the ink is behaving. Did a thorough cleaning before inking it up the first time. Also have a Jinhao X750 on standby. Prefer the Baoer for the outstanding finish, slim size and smoother writing experience.

post-130682-0-81624900-1473970047_thumb.jpg

Wing Sung 233 , its only today that I realize my Teal 233 is a perfect match for my travelling journal , this one had been modded with a hard needle point EF nib

I think this Mother of Pearl is one of the best looking Fountain pens that Jinhao have ever produced, I recommend

it to almost everyone who I come in contact with and most certainly to any other pen users that I give one of my

Jinhao's to and over the years that is a lot, for what it costs everyone should have one just to dress up one's

collection I have more than one of them, Trust me. oneill

Oniell

I'm sure it's just the bigger nibbed pens.

X450, 750, 159, 1200, etc, although I believe Goulet may have no5 nibs which fit the others, x250, 500 etc.

Helen would maybe be able to answer better, as I know she's transplanted into many a pen :)

Ian

I use Bock Size 6. 1.1 and 1.5 stubs in my Jinhao159s. They work but I had to use the entire Bock collar and feed. I also use a Beaufort converter.

Can you please tell me if the Goulet 1.1 STUB will fit all JINHAO's

The Goulet 1.1 #6 stub does fit and work well with my Jinhao X450, X750, 159 & 300. My Jinhao 1200 has a #6 broad Jinhao nib on it; so it will accommodate a #6 Goulet, Nemosine or Knox.. The Jinhao 189, 950 & Blue Century has a Nemosine #5 1.1 calligraphy nib. I purchase the Nemosine #5 1.1 calligraphy & Knox nibs from xfountainpens.com. I have also used Knox #6 calligraphy nibs. The Jinhao X250 requires a #5 nib. The Jinhao 650 Abalone/Mother of pearl pen has a #6 nib, so a Goulet 1.1 will work.

I have never purchased a Bock feed/collar, so I can't comment on that. There has been a time or two when I have carefully (very carefully) widened a channel on the Jinhao feed, to increase ink flow - remembering these are not ebonite feeds but plastic feeds. However, if you are extremeeeeely careful, not hasty, using a small-very sharp knife, it can be done. Hope this helps :)

Yes, Helen I ended up using the complete Bock system because although the nibs do fit and perform well, the problem I had was that the pen did not always start after being clipped in my shirt pocket, I work in an ED and am regularly needing the pen to re start after a short hiatus. Never had a staring problem with the complete Bock Nib/Feed/Collar. Anyway, you have to buy the entire Bock system just to get the nib, so why not. The cost difference is negligible anyway. I love the 159 as a work pen and with the complete Bock system fitted the pens are a dream. Patients and staff alike always admire the bright red one :)

PS: I get Bock Nibs sent all the way from Beaufort Pens in Scotland. They only charge 3 Pounds Sterling P&P all the way to Australia. A top company! Obviously the usual disclaimer about just being a satisfied customer applies,