What Chinese Pens Are You Using Today?

richardandtracy

Today’s quote is inspired by one of the most influential Martial Artist ever, the legend,BRUCE LEE.

The pen in rotation is Jinhao 165 which is self grounded to Medium Stub and it is inked with Pelikan Edelstein Amethyst.

img_20160726_1253571.jpg?w=1000

img_20160726_1256231.jpg?w=1000

img_20160726_1253341.jpg?w=1000

Stunning ink, Vaibhav, but you tease us with this one as it's now hard to obtain ;-)

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• richardandtracy

• Helen350

• Ian the Jock

• lovemy51

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was doing a bit of writing about the ship Rms Queen Elizabeth, and just felt that this pen and ink combo somehow seemed appropriate, especially the pen.

fpn_1469111099__572_1.jpg

fpn_1469111138__572_2.jpg

Ian

Stunning combination Ian.

That's a nice pen, Helen - Puts me in mind of the tiger's eye gemstone. Always enjoy your posts. Kind regards, Spring.

Thank you so much for your kind remarks. This Kaigelu is a Tiger's Eye, so you are right on point!!!

Stunning ink, Vaibhav, but you tease us with this one as it's now hard to obtain ;-)

Is it really hard to obtain...??

vaibhav mehandiratta

architect & fountain pen connoisseur

blog | instagram | twitter

Kaigelu 316 - M. Nib. Chesterfield Antique Oxford

fpn_1469729658__kaigelu316.jpg

fpn_1469729752__kaigelu316nib.jpg

fpn_1469729809__kaigelu316sample3.jpg

This is nice pen.. Is it heavy..??

vaibhav mehandiratta

architect & fountain pen connoisseur

blog | instagram | twitter

Is it really hard to obtain...??

Looking at EBay (UK) I see Pelikan Edelstein Amethyst available in cartridges only... and it's expensive.

This was ink of the year for 2015, but if my understanding is correct, Pelkian only really intended this limited edition for sale in that year.

Amazon (UK) also has none of this ink available in bottled form.

Edited by spring3r

This is nice pen.. Is it heavy..??

Capped: 46g. Upcapped 30g. I write with this pen uncapped. I tried to take snaps of two angles on the pen. With my camera it is really hard for me to capture the look of this pen. There are about 4 colors involved in the pattern-Tiger Eye.

fpn_1469863137__kaigelu316c.jpg

fpn_1469863327__kaigelu316b.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Jinhao 601 - f-nib (swapped the nib from Jinhao 599 safari with the Jinhao 601 nib :P)

Jinhao X450

Both inked with Parker Quink Permanent Blue.

Hero 356, one of the pens that uses their proprietary cartridges shared with Flair pens of India. It is filled with ink from another Chinese company called Lotus. The feed is unusual in that there is a sliver of felt between the nib tip and the underside of the feed. It aligns with the slit and seems to extend all the way back to the cartridge. it is like the feed on a felt tip pen or highlighter more than a traditional cartridge nipple.

Hero 356, one of the pens that uses their proprietary cartridges shared with Flair pens of India. It is filled with ink from another Chinese company called Lotus. The feed is unusual in that there is a sliver of felt between the nib tip and the underside of the feed. It aligns with the slit and seems to extend all the way back to the cartridge. it is like the feed on a felt tip pen or highlighter more than a traditional cartridge nipple.

The Zebra V-301 also has felt in it. Nice pens once you get them going.

Is the Hero 356 hard to get started?

No, it is almost immediate. I have noticed that the ink is extremely wet and does not erase easily with an ink eradicator. I think the felt and the ink combine to create something that starts easily.

Crocodile 806

Surprisingly enough both the pens below were bought from the same e-bay sale as 'Grey'.

http://i771.photobucket.com/albums/xx356/richardandtracy/Reviews/Crocodile%20806%20Review%20Photo%202_zpsqycbxn3a.jpg

I'm using the lower one, but prefer the upper one (which is going to a daughter for her birthday).

Regards,

Richard.

Crocodile 806

Surprisingly enough both the pens below were bought from the same e-bay sale as 'Grey'.

http://i771.photobucket.com/albums/xx356/richardandtracy/Reviews/Crocodile%20806%20Review%20Photo%202_zpsqycbxn3a.jpg

I'm using the lower one, but prefer the upper one (which is going to a daughter for her birthday).

Regards,

Richard.

Lovely pattern. The model was advertised as "Fierce Alligator" ;) How is it compared to the mighty Kaigelu 316?

Practice, patience, perseverance

Lovely pattern. The model was advertised as "Fierce Alligator" ;) How is it compared to the mighty Kaigelu 316?

It is a little different, but comparable in quality & general feel. In the un-modified state, it feels closer to the feel of the Duofold than the K316 simply due to the K316 having a brass barrel finial and the C806 having a resin one.

It has metal threads at the cap-barrel interface which is against it. The fact the finials are resin right from the start is in its favour. One thing I am concerned about are the differences between the nominally same item. I bought them from the same e-bay BIN, three weeks apart. The thread colours are different, there is different printing and the dark one has a brass liner in the barrel to give it more heft.

I am happy to select it alongside my K316's and Duofolds. I really can't see that it's any worse than the K316, and the only thing to decide between them is 'Is it cheaper today' or 'Do I prefer the colour today'. I think it really is down to how you feel on the day - they are that close quality & design wise.

Regards,

Richard

Edited to add:

I did a review here: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/312018-crocodile-806-a-good-quality-duofold-alternative/

Which, amongst other things includes side by side photos next to both sizes of Duofold and a K316. There is a long comparison with a Duofold, and a tiny little bit extra comparing with a K316 - only short as the K316 is so Duofold-like.