What Chinese Pens Are You Using Today?

richardandtracy

Been using my Dolce Vita Naranja nearly all day, I am going to try moving the nib as it will dry up , as others have seen on their pens, if I let it sit for a day.

Edited by Wh3r3sWald0

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• richardandtracy

• Helen350

• Ian the Jock

• lovemy51

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The X750 is a love-hate pen for me. I love the way it writes and feels but hate the way if it's not used for a couple of days it has to be completely flushed out. My version is the one without a breather tube. I may try moving the nib further down the feed as Testrider has suggested.

You should give it a try. I can let my Jinhao X750 sit nib up in a cup for a couple of weeks and it will start immediately without skipping a beat. But I have only tried with Noodler's BLACK and Bad Belted Kingfisher. I don't know if other inks will behave the same...

-mike-

Edited by testrider

If you decide not to keep it, I might be interested.

I will definitely let you know! O.K. to PM you?

The X450 was one of the first Chinese fountain pens that I encountered, and I have owned several. With all of them I could post the cap, if not always easily. But I quite understand your other disappointments. All of the ones that I have owned have been slow starters, drying up after being left unused for even one day, and, even though I like heavier pens, there is something peculiarly unwieldy about this model. The nibs are very stiff and somehow one always feels as though they are too long, no matter how low on the grip one holds the pen. So, as nice-looking as the pen is, given the wealth of finishes in which it is offered, I would not recommend it.

Instead, I would recommend the Duke carbon-fiber fountain pen. I can't specify a designation for it, as I have seen it advertised on eBay as the D2, the AND32, the N29, and other combinations of letters and numerals. But here is a photo of one:

fpn_1331821552__duke_carbon.jpg

You should be able to get one for $20 or less from a vendor in Hong Kong through eBay. It weighs 36 grams, as compared to the 47 of the X450. Not only does the cap post, but it snaps into place on the tail. The nib is on the stiff side, but not nearly as much so as that of the X450, and the pen is moderately good about starting: it will get dry after a few days of disuse, but at least you can leave it for one day without any difficulty.

I am also a great admirer of the Huashilai 3000, of which I have owned several and of which I have posted a comprehensive review here; but, as I note there, quality is very inconsistent among specimens of this model.

Holly,

It seems to me that you like a good balance on a slender pen.

The Jinhao Century pens are slender , but don't post ( https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/200150-jinhao-century-pen-in-blue-celluloid/ ) and the balance isn't great.

The Jinhao 5000 overlay ( https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/214811-jinhao-5000-filigree-overlay-pen-review/ ) is really quite something. It posts perfectly and retains its balance. The nib is no firmer than a Parker IM/Urban/Rialto/Jotter/Vector and has a fairly similar feel. Admittedly the Jinhao c/c's are all the same volume wise - and no different in capacity as far as I can see from the Parker slide convertor.

Avoid the Jinhao 1200 ( https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=65339 ) it's fatter than the X450.

If you like (or are interested in) hooded nib pens, consider the Jinhao 321 ( https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/141747-jinhao-321-review ) and the Kaigelu 306 ( https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/211561-kaigelu-306-review/ ). Both are excellent pens, light, slender and very capable. I love Parker 61's, and if either of those pens came with a medium nib I'd rank them alongside a P61.

Regards,

Richard.

I will look into the pens suggested; thanks Miles and Richard. :thumbup: And yes, I do indeed like hooded pens (or maybe I just like Parkers :P) - I have the Parker 21, 45 and 51 Special. I am still trying to make a decision as to whether I should "toss the dice" and take a chance on another inexpensive Chinese pen or if, really, I should just save up some more money for a pen that is a known factor - consistent reliability, great writer, excellent build quality, nice looking, etc. So far, in my limited experience, a pen with these characteristics = vintage.

Holly

If you decide not to keep it, I might be interested.

I will definitely let you know! O.K. to PM you?

Holly

Sure is! Thanks.

Today...???

Mmmmm, probably the black Hero 616 with its dregs of Chesterfield Mahogany. I have one or two 'dregs' pens still going, so I wonder which new one will get filled. And with what?

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

I do not know if it is my luck, but I am not happy with my Hero 007. After writing for some time, it dries out, and I have to squeeze the sac to make it write for some more time.

Is there a way around this behavior?

I am using some of my other pens for the moment, but I was wondering if someone else has encountered the same problem.

Thanks

Nick Apostolakis

Msc in IT, University of Glasgow

GPG ID: 0xBDF1848D

e-mail: nickapos@oncrete.gr

Web Site: http://nick.oncrete.gr

my jinhao x750 had one of the worst nib/feed combos i've seen. it just wouldn't write. yesterday i started working on grinding the nib to an itallic and changed the feed and now it seems to be working a bit better. the only thing is, once i wipe the nib clean, it is hard to get the ink flowing thru the feed channels again. once primed, it's good.

anyways, i've been using that pen today -the stainless steel one.

http://i338.photobucket.com/albums/n419/peterpaul_rguez/P3160001.jpg

Edited by lovemy51

After a week or so of not using any Chinese pens, today I have been using my Jinhao 159 again. I looked at the price of a Mont Blanc 149 and decided I couldn't afford to spend £535 right now and so the Jinhao will have to do until I win the lottery :yikes:

today: wing sung 233, red barrel.

also, hero 110, 12k gold hooded nib, burgundy barrel, gold clip. this one sports such a smooth nib. writes just as well as any of my p51's!!!

today i have been trying out my hero 266. It has a wet nib that is supposed to be fine but imho is medium (that is all right I prefer medium nibs) and is a bit scratchy.

I have tried writing a bunch of 8's on a cardboard and things improved. Now the nib is smoother.

It does not seem to suffer from the same inconsistency as my hero 007 so I may be lucky this time.

Edited by nickapos

Nick Apostolakis

Msc in IT, University of Glasgow

GPG ID: 0xBDF1848D

e-mail: nickapos@oncrete.gr

Web Site: http://nick.oncrete.gr

Today: a return to my burgundy Hero 616 loaded with JH Larme de Cassis (easier on the eyes for editing manuscripts than the 'fireball' ink I was using in a Preppy).

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

I have made a Jinhao x750 part of my desk. After thorough

cleaning of a new pen, it writes quite well. I start each

day with a twist of the converter to prime the nib. I keep

the pen, nib down, loose inside the cap, in a pen/pencil mug.

Works great, and I am not afraid of what happens to it.

Pelikan Royal Blue.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

My new Jinhao 159. Amazing pen for the price! Inked with Lamy Black for maximum darkness...

<i>"Most people go through life using up half their energy trying to protect a dignity they never had."</i><br>-Marlowe, in <i>The Long Goodbye</i>

Jinhao 5000. After reading the glowing reviews I took the plunge. OK--first of all, as the reviewers said, this pen is neither tacky nor over-flashy. It is very impressive looking, but backs the bright colors and shiny gold up with depth of finish and excellent workmanship. Second, it has the best converter I've ever seen in a Chinese pen. Not at all what I was expecting. Third, it writes like a Jinhao, which is to say with a buttery glide and no discernible flex. It's a slightly wet western medium. Finally, to my complete surprise given previous experience with Jinhao nibs and snap-on caps, the pen sat in my desk unused for nearly a week and started on the first stroke. I'm impressed.

ron

Picasso Red Lacquer from isellpens. Great pen. The only problem I have with it was that I was so anxious to ink it up and use it that I put in Alt Goldgruen and a bright red pen with green ink seems a little bit odd to me. So when I finish this I'm going with a red ink

To hold a pen is to be at war. - Voltaire

Jinhao 159 that arrived in the mail today. Fortunately I did some research and already havesome K35 nibs on order (xfountainpens are terrific people) to replace the so-calledmedium nib. It writes very smooth, but toobroad for me. I am using Aurora black whichI am sure exacerbates the boldness of the lines.

I thought that I would never find a pen that I thought wasbig enough, but this one hits the spot!

today i got my Naranja (Dolce Vita look-alike). it's such a nice pen!! it comes with a resin cap, which makes it very well balanced when posted on the back of the barrel -with a nice snap too!!

the nib needed a bit of smoothing, but after that... hmmm, hmmmm, hmmmm... LOVE YOU, NARANJA! :bunny01: