What Chinese Pens Are You Using Today?

richardandtracy

Good to hear from you again Oniell.

After you had sang the praises of the 8802 I went and got myself one, and fine it is too.

Helen has both the 8802 and the bigger one, the number of which I can't remember, and I fully intend to get one of those bigger ones too.

87 eh!

That's nae excuse, for hiding yer pens away man. :D

Ian

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• richardandtracy

• Helen350

• Ian the Jock

• lovemy51

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Appropriately inked with Ostrich 531 document ink ( Carbon ) is my Yong Jiu Type 26 ( this one dated to 91 )

37238704151_6b1ae0cfc3_o.jpgYong-Jiu Type 26 by Mech for i, on Flickr

How is this pen performing since you showed us? I must be rather odd in being a fan of Shaoyang Pens (formerly Peace Pens) but still do not have an example of their Type 26 or 28 yet. I wonder: does yours come with a blue breather tube?

No, I am not going to list my pens here.

well this one got clear breather tube though I had earlier samples with the blue breather tube and even a couple with a light green breather tube. Actually it take me a while and lots of flushing before realizing that the green is the color of the material not tint left by ink .. lol ... as far as writing goes this nib behave almost like the old Gold Star 26 nib, the one with only the Chinese text that is. Firm fine, positive feedback, not exactly smooth but not scratchy either, would be termed toothy by most who write in Latin based language but not a issue with Chinese writing. That stated, I had several of these type 26 and there is quite a considerable sample variation there. Considering that this model had production run that start early 60's and go all the way to early 90's its kind of expected. The earlier nibs usually in the gold color ( might be brass ) tend to be scratchy and of thin gauges, the 80's nib is steel alright but not well plated, had that dull finishing but actually write kind of smooth. I believe the earliest of these type 26 spot a different barrel with end jewel and a sac protector. These latter ones had this simplified single piece barrel and a long section extension with small ( breather tube equipped ) bulb filler

After you had sang the praises of the 8802 I went and got myself one, and fine it is too.

Helen has both the 8802 and the bigger one, the number of which I can't remember, and I fully intend to get one of those bigger ones too.

87 eh!

Ian

87 eh!

Ian

Hi Again Ian,I just realised that I never told you about the Japanese site,it has 2 contacts 1 engeika finest shop. and engeika.com product. both of these sites sell top quality pen stuff some of the Nibs were designed by nibmeisters who are famous,have a look see what you think.oneill

Lorelei Green - Sheaffer Skrip Green

Lorelei Amber Yellow - Iroshizuku Kon-Peki

Lorelei Pink - Noodler's Ottoman Rose

Wing Sung 3008 piston filler. Fair-enough nib, good ink capacity, good sealing of ink, reasonably wet nib and supportive that makes my writing experience verging on fun.

Today I have been using my amazing Picasso 915 ruby, in fact, I've been using it for the last few days, inked with Diamine Sapphire blue and it is a wonderous thing.

Ian

And here is the very chap.

One of the favourite pens, in my entire pile. :)

fpn_1507814606__dsc_0160.jpg

Ian

well this one got clear breather tube though I had earlier samples with the blue breather tube and even a couple with a light green breather tube. Actually it take me a while and lots of flushing before realizing that the green is the color of the material not tint left by ink .. lol ... as far as writing goes this nib behave almost like the old Gold Star 26 nib, the one with only the Chinese text that is. Firm fine, positive feedback, not exactly smooth but not scratchy either, would be termed toothy by most who write in Latin based language but not a issue with Chinese writing. That stated, I had several of these type 26 and there is quite a considerable sample variation there. Considering that this model had production run that start early 60's and go all the way to early 90's its kind of expected. The earlier nibs usually in the gold color ( might be brass ) tend to be scratchy and of thin gauges, the 80's nib is steel alright but not well plated, had that dull finishing but actually write kind of smooth. I believe the earliest of these type 26 spot a different barrel with end jewel and a sac protector. These latter ones had this simplified single piece barrel and a long section extension with small ( breather tube equipped ) bulb filler

Interesting information; thank you!

I've had some issues with Type 28 (and others) from different makers especially with blue breather tubes; they're very brittle and prone to breaking, especially when stuck inside the back of the feed and that would make the remnants pretty much impossible to remove; the best idea is to get rid of it and replace with a better clear one. And yet, a few of the feeds turn out to be badly vented, such as the feed is not vented through the ink channel at the top, but through a too-deep cut in the bottom fin; that would mess up ink supply a lot to the point that ink supply is stopped after the ink between the feed and nib has exhausted. My method is to put in a tested Ahab feed with a new clear tube cut to about 5mm short of the end of the ink sac and that improves things to no end.

Another thing I found is that the nib quality also vary. The Golden Star 28 and its reincarnated Hero version have nibs made out of pretty thick sheet stock and they work admirably. Brands like Xinnongcun, Heilongjiang, and the Wing Sung 590 have nibs out of very thin steel stock and they can be a headache to work on; in fact a 590 I built for a friend has Ahab feed, long tube, and GS28 nib and during my tests it worked better than it has a right to do! Depending on the brand, thicker nibs may or may not be substituted.

The nib of your Yongjiu 26 looks quite a lot like the final release nib on the GS26 in shape; I also bought some early GS26 nibs with Chinese branding which are a bit demanding, for want of a better word. The final release version, however, is sublime, that's why I wonder about yours!

No, I am not going to list my pens here.

I've had similar experience too Seele, and my solution is simple, just swap out those nibs with better mid 90's or later production nib like those from GS or Hero or whoever. This one do not write as good as the final GS26 type but its close enough. A bit more toothy but then I usually do not write fast nor do I do calligraphy so that's not an issue for me. And well those breather tube, yes sometime I got those as you've mentioned, soon as I find it so, then its about time to get the parts bin and start hacking

Edited by Mech-for-i

Are you asking about Ian the Jock's pen at entry 3590? If so the answer is at 3589

To hold a pen is to be at war. - Voltaire

Yip Teds right

It's the incredible Picasso 915 inked with Diamine Sapphire blue.

It's a pen that butters many parsnips, and not just those of the lovers of Chinese pens either.

A genuine "must have" :)

Ian

Rainbow 202

Rainbow 202 - It is a Fountain Pen with a hooded nib .

Length 14,5 cm ,

Filling System - It is aerometric ,

Color - Plastic barrel in burgundy red and metal cap , with a burgundy red plastic section, with a ink widow .

Nib - A fine hooded nib .

Ink - Pelikan 4001, Royal Blue .

post-134601-0-08861900-1507976771_thumb.jpg

I love Fountain Pens, with hooded nib in the classic style, Parker 51/61 type .

Ionut - Marius