What Chinese Pens Are You Using Today?

richardandtracy

A Hero 266 in gunmetal gray using black Parker Quink.

Foo! So many pens and inks, so little money....

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png fpn_1323303417__postcrossing_button.gif

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• richardandtracy

• Helen350

• Ian the Jock

• lovemy51

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How did I manage to dupe my post?

Edited by McFortner

Foo! So many pens and inks, so little money....

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png fpn_1323303417__postcrossing_button.gif

Inked up my recently purchased Hero 395 with my newly gifted ink, Parker Penman Sapphire, and I am stunned how well this pen writes.

Could you advise where to buy Jinhao and Hero? I saw X-Fountain mentioned above, I bought some nibs for the Ahab there but didn't see those name pens there. Also, is Twsbi considered Chinese, perhaps it's Taiwanese. Thanks all and happy new year.

Could you advise where to buy Jinhao and Hero? I saw X-Fountain mentioned above, I bought some nibs for the Ahab there but didn't see those name pens there. Also, is Twsbi considered Chinese, perhaps it's Taiwanese. Thanks all and happy new year.

xfountainpens sells Jinhaos under a different name: Bulow, but they are the same pens. Ebay is a great place to buy both Jinhao and Hero. TWSBI is Taiwanese.

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

~ George Orwell

Thanks for the info, appreciate it.

xfountainpens sells Jinhaos under a different name: Bulow, but they are the same pens. Ebay is a great place to buy both Jinhao and Hero. TWSBI is Taiwanese.

You are welcome. I should have written that ebay is another great place as I do recommend xfountainpens. And I know some will also recommend Isellpens.com.

~ George Orwell

I own a "small" vintage Hero 616 with a golden nib. I find myself reaching for this pen more and more even though it is a scratched up little thing. If the pen was not so cheap, I'd think about buffing the body a bit, but that is not the issue today. After I did a little work with micro mesh on the nib and cleaned it well, it became a fabulous starter and an extremely smooth writer. The extra fine line it gives is wonderful both in my notebooks and for sketching.

I'm considering buying a 3 pack of Hero 616 pens so that I can have them in several colors inked up as I sketch. However, I noticed that there are other sizes to choose from. Is there anyone who owns both the smaller Hero 616 and a Hero "doctor" Jumbo 616? I'm trying to decide between them for my 3 pack. I do find the one I have now to be a little small in my hand, but in general I don't like the thicker fountain pens for writing. I own a Jinhao X750 and it is a bit too large for me, although I still use it occasionally in my rotation. Is the Hero 616 Jumbo similar in size to these larger sized fountain pens?

There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are. - W. Somerset Maugham

http://wendyvancamp.com

A Baoer 517 with De Atramentis Sherlock Holmes Night Blue!

I've been agreeably surprised about this Baoer 517 (7,98 $) :)

I own a "small" vintage Hero 616 with a golden nib. I find myself reaching for this pen more and more even though it is a scratched up little thing. If the pen was not so cheap, I'd think about buffing the body a bit, but that is not the issue today. After I did a little work with micro mesh on the nib and cleaned it well, it became a fabulous starter and an extremely smooth writer. The extra fine line it gives is wonderful both in my notebooks and for sketching.

I'm considering buying a 3 pack of Hero 616 pens so that I can have them in several colors inked up as I sketch. However, I noticed that there are other sizes to choose from. Is there anyone who owns both the smaller Hero 616 and a Hero "doctor" Jumbo 616? I'm trying to decide between them for my 3 pack. I do find the one I have now to be a little small in my hand, but in general I don't like the thicker fountain pens for writing. I own a Jinhao X750 and it is a bit too large for me, although I still use it occasionally in my rotation. Is the Hero 616 Jumbo similar in size to these larger sized fountain pens?

The Hero 'Jumbo' is just a little larger than the normal model. Go to isellpens...I think Todd also shows size comparisons.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

The Hero 'Jumbo' is just a little larger than the normal model. Go to isellpens...I think Todd also shows size comparisons.

I find the following hard to believe (I know I should try harder), but yespen have 616's in what appear to be three sizes: small 13.2cm capped and 13g, standard at 14cm capped and 16g, and jumbo at 14.2cm capped and 16g.

GS

Edited by GeneralSynopsis

--“Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
Giordano Bruno

Useful video

I don't know if this is always the case :unsure: ....I'm sure I have read here that the Bulow version of the Jinhao 159 doesn't post...I have no experience of the Bulow....but I can confirm the Jinhao definitely does post. Not a huge difference I agree, but enough maybe to indicate they are not 'the same pen' :unsure:

I find the following hard to believe (I know I should try harder), but yespen have 616's in what appear to be three sizes: small 13.2cm capped and 13g, standard at 14cm capped and 16g, and jumbo at 14.2cm capped and 16g.

GS

This is what was confusing me when people spoke about using the Hero 616. There are three different sizes all with the same model number. After looking at the weight listings, I've decided to get a three pack of the "doctor" jumbos. It was the light weight of the small Hero 616 that was bothering me in this otherwise excellent extra fine fountain pen. A few extra grams of weight might be just "what the doctor ordered". (Sorry, I could not resist.)

Thanks for the help, everyone. :)

There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are. - W. Somerset Maugham

I don't know if this is always the case :unsure: ....I'm sure I have read here that the Bulow version of the Jinhao 159 doesn't post...I have no experience of the Bulow....but I can confirm the Jinhao definitely does post. Not a huge difference I agree, but enough maybe to indicate they are not 'the same pen' :unsure:

Good point. I have a Bulow X530 Tageslicht and it doesn't post. Since the Tageslicht is a different material than the J159, they aren't the same pen. But they are still similar. I have both a Bulow and Jinhao x750 in the same color on the way; I'll let you know if I see any difference between the two.

~ George Orwell

If you want a true Hero, I would recommend yespens on eBay. I've purchased several pens from him. The service is good and he has real Hero pens and not knockoffs. I've purchased a Jinhao X750 from eBay as well, but from a different vendor. Since there are not knock-offs of these pens circulating, I feel you should just shop for the best price. Perhaps consider one of the webstores that will look over your nib and work on it before shipment. It is a little more money, but if you are not comfortable smoothing your nib or making adjustments, it could save you some grief. I find that most of the Chinese fountain pens that I've purchased needed a little tweaking before use.