What Chinese Pens Are You Using Today?

richardandtracy

I just got a Jinhao 165, basically an homage to the Parker Sonnet (not an outright copy). Very smooth writer, vastly better than any Sonnet I've ever used.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• richardandtracy

• Helen350

• Ian the Jock

• lovemy51

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Over the past few days, my pockets have accumulated three mechanical pencils and five fountain pens, two of which are Kaigelu 316s (black and amber) ... well, it's been windy, so I've put off going out and digging up the last spuds. Before I go out, I'll divest myself of all but my gardening pencil.

Hi there --

I am wondering if I can borrow your clothing right before my visit to Fort Knox, cause I certainly could use

those pockets to pick up some samples from there. :roflmho:

Also I have never grown taters, but why do you need a pencil to receive your bounty from the underground? inquiring minds wanna know. :eureka:

Regards to all -- Manny D.

today: jinhao with abalone shell band... lets see if i can find a photo over the net.....

here goes:

http://www.xfountainpens.com/v/vspfiles/photos/BU1001-3.jpg

That Jinhao looks gorgeous.

I've had my eye on one of these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FOUNTAIN-PEN-KAIGELU-SHELL-LUXURIOUS-BLACK-GOLDED-K2H-/200598255844?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eb49678e4 but can't get one at the moment having spent all my budget this month on creating a web site .:crybaby:

I have a Duofold standing in for my K316, but also have my Jinhao 5000 with me today.

Regards,

Richard.

today: jinhao with abalone shell band... lets see if i can find a photo over the net.....

here goes:

http://www.xfountainpens.com/v/vspfiles/photos/BU1001-3.jpg

Hey! I think I have that one!

Of the eleven fps I have inked at the moment, uhm, four Preppys, not Chinese, but Japanese.

One Sailor, Japanese.

Parker Frontier, nope.

Z-pen, nope.

Lamy Safari, nope.

Hero 329, Noodler's Bad Green Gator, yup.

Hero 616, Chesterfield Brown, yup.

Hero 616, JH Larme de Cassis, yup.

The Parker, Z-pen, and one 616 are all running low on ink. Maybe when they're done, I can load the Jinhao.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

Over the past few days, my pockets have accumulated three mechanical pencils and five fountain pens, two of which are Kaigelu 316s (black and amber) ... well, it's been windy, so I've put off going out and digging up the last spuds. Before I go out, I'll divest myself of all but my gardening pencil.

Hi there --

I am wondering if I can borrow your clothing right before my visit to Fort Knox, cause I certainly could use

those pockets to pick up some samples from there. :roflmho:

Also I have never grown taters, but why do you need a pencil to receive your bounty from the underground? inquiring minds wanna know. :eureka:

Regards to all -- Manny D.

I suspect these tatty togs aren't worth the cost of the postage. Large zipped pockets are great fun; something unexpected always turns up in there.

My gardening pencil is a short fat clutch pencil which lives on my keychain. Very handy for labelling plantings (graphite resists the weather better than anything else I know); also used for general workshop duties (no more pencils rolling just out of reach). Not essential to the act of digging spuds, certainly, but if I took it off the chain every time I didn't need it, sod's law dictates I'd have to hunt high and low for the little blighter next time I did need it.

I have only one Wing Sung, it's an 812 and is a 90% scale copy of a P61 Insignia, even down to having an arrow in the hood. I wanted to like it, but it had a leak between the hood & the connector which I couldn't repair because they seem to have glued the connector in, & when it wasn't sealed there was nothing I could do. Also the nib was a rather horrible XXF. OK, I think anything smaller than a UK M is pretty horrible & loathing increases as the size decreases.

Maybe I should look out for another.

Today I'm back to my K319 & will use it as much today as my other pen (an FPN Etruria).

Regards,

Richard.

I just received my first Chinese pen, a Jinhao X450; I am disappointed with it. Although the nib is smooth, I don't really like the pen. It won't post, which is annoying to me (for some reason, I like to post all of my pens,) even though if it did post it might be too heavy to be a comfortable user, so I would have something else to complain about. :P Obviously, I should have paid more attention to the reviews, since at least one of them here on FPN, in which the reviewer really liked the pen, did mention that the cap can not be posted. The pen is heavy, as I knew it would be, but I think the nib section is just a bit too thick for me - holding the pen to write feels awkward. :( At least now I know that I am not likely to want any of the "over-sized" pens that are available, so I am glad to find this out without having had to spend a lot of money.

Also, the converter seems cheap (I know, what can I expect?) and has a pretty low ink capacity, too. Is there another converter that fits Jinhao pens? Such a beefy pen with a wimpy converter seems wrong, somehow. :rolleyes:

I think I have been spoiled by my Parkers, but I will continue to write with the X450 to see if the experience gets better.

Next time I have money for an inexpensive pen, I might try another Chinese pen that gets relatively good reviews; a lot of people who have responded to this thread seem pretty pleased with their choices. Or I may just go for a Lamy Al-Star, which had been my first choice for an inexpensive pen until I saw the Jinhao. On the other hand, maybe I should save up my money and by another vintage pen, or.... It is nice to have lots of choices, isn't it?

Holly

Also, the converter seems cheap (I know, what can I expect?) and has a pretty low ink capacity, too. Is there another converter that fits Jinhao pens? Such a beefy pen with a wimpy converter seems wrong, somehow. :rolleyes:

Either the Schmidt K5 or Schmidt K6 converter shown on this page (no personal affiliation) should work with the Jinhao pens, depending on whether your pen uses a "screw-in" or "push-to-install" type converter.

Edited by rivercrab

Either the Schmidt K5 or Schmidt K6 converter shown on this page (no personal affiliation) should work with the Jinhao pens, depending on whether your pen uses a "screw-in" or "push-to-install" type converter.

Thank you very much for that information, rivercrab. If I decide the pen is a keeper, I will definitely look into getting one of the Schmidt converters; at least from the picture, it appears to be quite a bit better than the one in my Jinhao.

Holly

I just received my first Chinese pen, a Jinhao X450; I am disappointed with it. Although the nib is smooth, I don't really like the pen. It won't post, which is annoying to me (for some reason, I like to post all of my pens,) even though if it did post it might be too heavy to be a comfortable user, so I would have something else to complain about. :P Obviously, I should have paid more attention to the reviews, since at least one of them here on FPN, in which the reviewer really liked the pen, did mention that the cap can not be posted. The pen is heavy, as I knew it would be, but I think the nib section is just a bit too thick for me - holding the pen to write feels awkward. :( At least now I know that I am not likely to want any of the "over-sized" pens that are available, so I am glad to find this out without having had to spend a lot of money.

I think I have been spoiled by my Parkers, but I will continue to write with the X450 to see if the experience gets better.

Next time I have money for an inexpensive pen, I might try another Chinese pen that gets relatively good reviews; a lot of people who have responded to this thread seem pretty pleased with their choices. Or I may just go for a Lamy Al-Star, which had been my first choice for an inexpensive pen until I saw the Jinhao. On the other hand, maybe I should save up my money and by another vintage pen, or.... It is nice to have lots of choices, isn't it?

Holly

The X450 was one of the first Chinese fountain pens that I encountered, and I have owned several. With all of them I could post the cap, if not always easily. But I quite understand your other disappointments. All of the ones that I have owned have been slow starters, drying up after being left unused for even one day, and, even though I like heavier pens, there is something peculiarly unwieldy about this model. The nibs are very stiff and somehow one always feels as though they are too long, no matter how low on the grip one holds the pen. So, as nice-looking as the pen is, given the wealth of finishes in which it is offered, I would not recommend it.

Instead, I would recommend the Duke carbon-fiber fountain pen. I can't specify a designation for it, as I have seen it advertised on eBay as the D2, the AND32, the N29, and other combinations of letters and numerals. But here is a photo of one:

fpn_1331821552__duke_carbon.jpg

You should be able to get one for $20 or less from a vendor in Hong Kong through eBay. It weighs 36 grams, as compared to the 47 of the X450. Not only does the cap post, but it snaps into place on the tail. The nib is on the stiff side, but not nearly as much so as that of the X450, and the pen is moderately good about starting: it will get dry after a few days of disuse, but at least you can leave it for one day without any difficulty.

I am also a great admirer of the Huashilai 3000, of which I have owned several and of which I have posted a comprehensive review here; but, as I note there, quality is very inconsistent among specimens of this model.

Edited by Miles R.

Holly,

It seems to me that you like a good balance on a slender pen.

The Jinhao Century pens are slender , but don't post ( https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/200150-jinhao-century-pen-in-blue-celluloid/ ) and the balance isn't great.

The Jinhao 5000 overlay ( https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/214811-jinhao-5000-filigree-overlay-pen-review/ ) is really quite something. It posts perfectly and retains its balance. The nib is no firmer than a Parker IM/Urban/Rialto/Jotter/Vector and has a fairly similar feel. Admittedly the Jinhao c/c's are all the same volume wise - and no different in capacity as far as I can see from the Parker slide convertor.

Avoid the Jinhao 1200 ( https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=65339 ) it's fatter than the X450.

If you like (or are interested in) hooded nib pens, consider the Jinhao 321 ( https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/141747-jinhao-321-review ) and the Kaigelu 306 ( https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/211561-kaigelu-306-review/ ). Both are excellent pens, light, slender and very capable. I love Parker 61's, and if either of those pens came with a medium nib I'd rank them alongside a P61.

Regards,

Richard.

Is the Schmidt K5/K6 converter better? In what way? Construction? Ink capacity?

I don't have a Schmidt converter myself. But based on the pictures I have seen, the Schmidt converter looks sturdier than the one in my Jinhao pen. According to this webpage (no personal affiliation), the Schmidt converters are made in Germany. Maybe someone with a Schmidt converter in one of their pens can chime in.

Edited by rivercrab

Based on the review here, I ordered a Jinhao 159 for US$11 and free shipping from China to California. I just received it and it's so smooth. However, even thought the nib is supposed to be 'M', but it wrote like a 'BROAD', so I installed the Knox K35 'M' nib on it. I love it.

http://www.pbase.com/motorcyclist/image/142095838.jpg

It made my Jinhao X750 look so small :rolleyes:

http://www.pbase.com/motorcyclist/image/142095842.jpg

Based on the review here, I ordered a Jinhao 159 for US$11 and free shipping from China to California.

How is it about starting after being left unused for a day or more? That's the point on which I have found all the Jinhao pens that I have used to be troublesome.

According to this review, the 159 weighs 49 grams. That is only 2 grams more than the X450, but still quite a lot.

Based on the review here, I ordered a Jinhao 159 for US$11 and free shipping from China to California.

How is it about starting after being left unused for a day or more? That's the point on which I have found all the Jinhao pens that I have used to be troublesome.

According to this review, the 159 weighs 49 grams. That is only 2 grams more than the X450, but still quite a lot.

As in 1 of my earlier post, I moved the tip of the nib closest to the feed and I could leave the X750 unused, nib up in a cup, for days and it would just start right up. As to the 159, I just got it yesterday and so far it started right up too.

It made my Jinhao X750 look so small :rolleyes:

http://www.pbase.com/motorcyclist/image/142095842.jpg

Good grief, I'd read it was big but I've not seen a side-by-side with another pen. That's just ridiculous. I must get one.

My Chinese pens in use today are the X750, a Cross Townsend and a Baoer 388, in fact two 388s. A five pack of Baoers were one of the first Chinese pens I tried and they're just handy to have around. Cheap enough not to worry about but write well enough to enjoy using.

The X750 is a love-hate pen for me. I love the way it writes and feels but hate the way if it's not used for a couple of days it has to be completely flushed out. My version is the one without a breather tube. I may try moving the nib further down the feed as Testrider has suggested.

Toodle pip<BR><BR><BR>