Top Posters In This Topic

• richardandtracy

• Helen350

• Ian the Jock

• lovemy51

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

post-80102-0-99484100-1329602118.jpg

Showing up in the mail today was a Hero 736. First thing noticed after opening the envelope is that the pen is not bronze in color, it is a silver pen! The brushed portion is slightly darker than the polished ends, but not nearly as dark as pictured. Cap fits snug and it posts very well. Seems to be a well made writing instrument and incredibly inexpensive also. Filled it with PR DC Super Violet and will give it to my wife for carrying around.

On a 24" monitor displaying the following image should be about 1:1.

post-80102-0-69958400-1329602144.jpg

Besides this pen I am also using my Yiren today.

Haven't done much writing today as it's a Sunday but I have used one of my Hero 616 Jumbos briefly

Wh3r3sWald0, I've never seen that one before. Looks just like a Vector on the outside - opening it up to see the hooded nib would give someone a shock!

Today I have my Jinhao 5000 & Kaigelu 306 today.

Regards,

Richard.

Wh3r3sWald0, I've never seen that one before. Looks just like a Vector on the outside - opening it up to see the hooded nib would give someone a shock!

Today I have my Jinhao 5000 & Kaigelu 306 today.

Regards,

Richard.

Richard,

It is a very good writer too. My only issue is that with my big hands I tend to grip very thin pens too tightly causing fatigue in my fingers after a few paragraphs. For this reason I tend to stay away from overly thin pens. The dimensions (actual measurements) are 131mm capped, 110mm uncapped and 153mm posted. the maximum diameter is 9.5mm, and does not taper in any direction. The brushing looks even all around and the chromed trim looks to be smoothly applied and even. A current eBay search comes up with three listings all from the same seller (ruirui009) which also happens to be the seller that I bought this sample from. The USD price was $4.90 including shipping, which took eight days from China to the eastern US.

Bud

So a bunch of pens arrived in the mail today but the only ones I cleaned and inked were the Hero 3158 and a bonus Hero 007 included free with the order. First the 007:

Slim, light, plastic; all the things I dislike about a pen. According to some eBay sellers this pen is Vintage, I really wonder how they can consider this a vintage pen. It's only 12 grams, important to me if I was to carry this pen with me while riding my bicycle, but too light for my taste. The nib is listed as F but it writes more like an EF, that part is okay. It is smooth enough, meaning that there is no bite but there is a bit of feedback. I would never have bought this particular model Hero but for free, it was worth every penny and a couple more besides. The cap is a pure friction fit, it does not snap in place. I am also not fond of the filling system, rather have a cartridge or converter. 10mm diameter, 132mm capped, 120mm uncapped, 140mm posted.

post-80102-0-04222500-1329890926.jpg

The Hero 3158, is a different breed altogether. An all metal pen with a hooded F nib. There is some relief work on the barrel, I cleaned all three samples and filled them with different inks and gave one to my wife, another to my daughter and kept the other to write with today. Much smoother than the 007, and better than the other Hero I used a few days ago. While writing there is a bit of play in the feed, I can see that it is not flex but the nib moves a bit as soon as you put pen to paper. After being carried around and then sitting for several hours, it started right up. No skipping, no drag on the paper, no overly heavy ink flow. The nib has about the same feel as the Hero 736. I will use it for a day or two until the small converter is empty then likely put it away for a while. I am not sure this wouldn't make a very good planner pen to carry around and jot short notes. 9.6mm diameter, 123mm capped, 105mm uncapped, 110mm posted.

post-80102-0-21223200-1329890864.jpg

Today I've got my Lapis resin capped pens. The first being my faithful Kaigelu 319, and the second being a Kaigelu 323 which arrived yesterday. The 323 uses the same nib, feed and screw-in convertor as the Kaigelu 316. It appears to be a very nice pen, but will have to try it out for a few days to see.

Wh3r3sWald0 - I like the look of the Hero 007. Sounds nice & light for all day use. Shame the nib is so narrow. I like a UK medium or wider if I can get it.

Regards,

Richard.

OMGoodness, people!!!! today i got the Jinhao 155 and just inked it up with Pelikan BB. it is beautiful!!! and the feel is great! its built feels as good as the Cross Townsend or the Century II -IMO, even better. the cap snaps so nice, it feels like a hydraulic system or something...

it writes a nice medium wet line (i'm using pelikan, which is kinda dry!!) and very smooth -but not buttery smooth. one still feels the paper. and IMO, that's good!!. the thing is, it's not a boring medium. it has character!!! i show pix of the writing later.

here's a pic from the vendor:

http://i338.photobucket.com/albums/n419/peterpaul_rguez/KGrHqZnwE8TV978KBPK5qJftsQ60_3.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/140695580682?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

the cap makes it a bit top heavy when posted. but it fells right w/o it.

that's what i'll be using today!!

PS. this sounds more like a review... :mellow:

I've got a Kaigelu 316. When I first got it it was a very dry and skippy. I read here on FPN that someone used a small sheet of mylar to spread the tines so I figured what the heck, I'll give it a try. I made several passes down the slit with the maylar and the pen now writes like a dream. Smooth and wet. What a difference!!

I've got a Kaigelu 316. When I first got it it was a very dry and skippy. I read here on FPN that someone used a small sheet of mylar to spread the tines so I figured what the heck, I'll give it a try. I made several passes down the slit with the maylar and the pen now writes like a dream. Smooth and wet. What a difference!!

It has been my experience that just about every Chinese pen could use a good flush, floss and shim before being used, and I recommend the practice to everyone who has one. I use brass myself, because it has been easier to get than mylar. When the flow is right, you can give a gentle polish to the iridium to make it smooth. You can turn a nasty dry pen into a delight. I like Kaigelu a lot, and the 316 in particular. When you flossed it with the mylar the likelihood is that you did two things. The first is to spread the tines a tiny amount, and the other is to scrape out some of the manufacturing debris in the ink channel.

A dry scratchy nib can put a person off fps for life, and most new users do not have the knowledge to flush, floss and smooth. In recent times when I want to give a member of my family a pen, I have it sent to me and I do this preparatory work and write with it a bit, then send it on to them.

just to stir something here... we should have a chinese pen sub-forum!! :roflmho:

Agreed :thumbup:

This idea has been rejected numerous times.

just to stir something here... we should have a chinese pen sub-forum!! :roflmho:

And likely it will be rejected numerous more times. Same thing happens in the Bicycle forums I frequent. There is a disdain for Chinese made frames, even though the bulk of all bicycles made worldwide are from China. As a result, there are no Chinese specific forums there either, just huge threads.

Anyway, its not really a big deal to me one way or another, I will continue to use my Chinese made pens and enjoy them and post about it here.

Mine is the wettest writer I own, .7mm stroke, very smooth. Glad you got yours working.

I wonder why...seems like a gret idea.

the cap snaps so nice, it feels like a hydraulic system or something...

The pic shows what look like threads above the section......so they are not threads?

I have a Picasso that has threads there....with a click on cap!

the cap snaps so nice, it feels like a hydraulic system or something...

The pic shows what look like threads above the section......so they are not threads?

I have a Picasso that has threads there....with a click on cap!

dead on like the Picasso -i have that one too. same click feel!!!