• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• richardandtracy

• Helen350

• Ian the Jock

• lovemy51

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Today I've got my Amber & Grey Kaigelu 316 with me, and have just paid for a Kaigelu 323, which will be with me in a week or two.

That Yiren 823 looks rather BRIGHT, I'd be tempted to blink before using it...

Regards,

Richard.

That's the lighting, in normal light it is not nearly so bright.

Returning to fountain pens after a long 15 year hiatus.

What I didn't know is how addicting Chinese made pens could become. As inexpensive as they are it is fun to 'take a gamble' on which one will turn out to be a gem in disguise. So far I purchased one for my wife and daughter. My wife got a Jinhao Morbidezza, which will likely get replaced by something a bit daintier. My daughter has an even less expensive Hero Accountant Pen, and wants another more ornate pen.

I am now waiting on several more Chinese pens,

I had planned to lurk awhile before posting, but this post must be from a long lost twin I never knew I had! Back in High School I used a "dipper" desk set from my father's law office, mid-1960s. Then I used some no-names while studying Persian and Urdu as a graduate student. I recently came across another no-name and was saddened not to be able to buy ink in the town I now live in (only 2600 pop, 50 miles from a big city) Went on line for ink and Baoer Horse pen arrived a few days ago and am waiting for 2 other Chinese pens and a Noodler Nib Creap.

I have a friend who used to acquire large pieces of brewery equipment, as in 1500 gallon copper kettles. He once said to me, "I know its a sickness, but it is MY sickness!"

Question: All I could find around the house for ink was some stuff used to refill ink jet cartridges. Will that harm anything?

ps: I am hatching a plan to offer my restaurant customers fountain pens to sign their credit card receipts (thermal paper). Give the joint a bit of class, and with the Asian pens loosing one won't be a big deal...

Today was a Yiren 823. Inked with PR Black Magic Blue.

IMAGE SNIPPED

Wow! That one is really eye-catching. How does it write?

ron

post-80102-0-84231100-1329099645.jpg

As you can see I have had to re-ink and this time I put in PR DC Super Violet!

Thanks! That not only answers the question but illustrates the answer. Nice handwriting, by the way.

ron

I wouldn't use the inkjet stuff. Only inks made specifically for fountain pens.

Welcome aboard!

Thanks for the input. I bow to your superior knowledge and experience.... but it is so tempting with close to a liter sitting nearby.

BrewerJeff, :W2FPN: .

I agree with SailorKenshin, no Inkjet ink. It's actually too thick & sludgy to use in a fountain pen, and it dries pretty quickly which can clog the pen up too.

Today I'm using my Parker Sonnet replacement, the Kaigelu 319 with Visconti Red in it.

The other pen I have is a Parker 61 (giving my Jinhao 321 a break..).

Regards,

Richard.

Today is another Jinhao, this time a X250 in a gold tone with PR Tanzanite. When I bought it I was specifically looking for a B nib, this pen turned out to be most definitely a medium, and a medium that is on the fine side.

post-80102-0-51893400-1329232721.jpg

This sample was written on really cheap copy paper.

post-80102-0-37671500-1329233257.jpg

My 10 pack of Hero 616s turned out to be the fake/lower quality ones but they're useful for ink commparisons. I have about 5 of them inked with various Diamine blue inks in my search for my ideal blue.

Toodle pip<BR><BR><BR>

Sorry to hear that, Zanshin!

I bought a lot of nine 616 jumbo doctor's fountain pens from yespen.com (that has an eabay store) for the ridiculous sum of GBP 15, P&P included, and gave away 6 of them at work, filled with diamine poppy red ink. They must have been the real deal as yespen has a section in their store where the differences are pointed out. They're amazing value for money and very useful, but nothing like the 51 they're aping.

The was done in an attempt to convert the younglings at work to good and proper penmanship. We'll see how that turns out :thumbup:

Best

Wetx3

NEWELLRUBBERMAID

Today's Chinese pen is a Jinhao 5000 filigree overlay I received last night. I'll do a review of it soon, as the pen looks gorgeous and feels pretty good too.

Regards,

Richard.

Edited by richardandtracy

A TWSBI. That counts. Taiwan...that's China, right? *

*Any disagreement with that should be addressed to The Chinese Embassy in your country. Please be sure to spell all of your words correctly, use good penmanship and a respectable color of ink. They might send you back a Jinhao and a nice note on impeccable paper.

It's for Yew!bastardchildlil.jpg

I have two Regals inked this morning. Does those count as "Chinese Pens"? If so then I am in the Chinese club today. I have a Regal Oxford filled with Akkerman turquoise and a Regal Elizabeth filled with Diamine Poppy. I was lucky to get the sample of Poppy, it is a super nice colour.

Both these pens are very large and heavy. The caps screw on to post, leaving an unbalanced truncheon of a pen. These are not good for long term writing, but make a great flourish for signing contracts. Obviously not something I am doing with turquoise and poppy. They just happened to come up in my rotation, so I will be doodling quite a bit, as I pass the statutory converter load through them, before lovingly cleaning and drying, then once again laying them in their satin cushioned places in the cabinet.

This Jinhao 5000 is pretty good:

http://i771.photobucket.com/albums/xx356/richardandtracy/Jinhao%20Pens/Jinhao5000Photo1.jpg

http://i771.photobucket.com/albums/xx356/richardandtracy/Jinhao%20Pens/Jinhao5000Photo2.jpg

http://i771.photobucket.com/albums/xx356/richardandtracy/Jinhao%20Pens/Jinhao5000Photo3.jpg

Regards,

Richard.

Today was a Jinhao 159, Baoer Skywalker, usual Hero 616 Jumbo and a Duke 116.....today was a good day