Ahab With Knox K35 & Bulow Nibs

SamCapote

Okay, it's nice to have options, but why trade a flex nib for a good nail? Unless you like nails... To each his own.

There you have it. I think the pens are neat and something I am not afraid to tinker with. However, I have absolutely no need for a pen with flex. I also have no need of a nib that I have to press down on to get the line thickness I want. I started using FP because of tendonitis issues and a FP that can glide was less wear and tear on that arm. So I have no desire to be constantly pressing a stiff flex nib. True, I don't need to change the nib in order to have a fine tip, but there is a bit of variation that is not intended and in my experience these alternate nibs write more smoothly and consistently than the non-flexed flex nib. So yeah, I do prefer nails to this style of flex. But I still want to tinker with my pens.

My thoughts are as scattered as the frozen winds of November swept across the harvested fields of my mind. ~ Justin - damaging things since 1973

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• P.A.R.

• SamCapote

• hedera

• AndyLa

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

P.A.R. & others, if you find that your Knox replacement nibs are too loose to securely stay inside the Ahab, I can now confirm that by partially flattening the very back of these nibs with a pliers, and reinserting into the recessed cut-out groove in the section for alignment, it works perfectly without affecting performance in any way.

I would estimate that I only reduced the normal curve about 10-20%, and only the very back 3-4mm edge. The rest of the nib's curve farther up was unaffected.

With the new FPN rules, now I REALLY don't know what to put in my signature.

I tried the Knox nibs and have to say thanks for the tip. It has been an excellent writer and has taken me through a first filling of Diamine ink-- simply fantastic. I ended up fiddling with the placement of the nib and feed some before everything was right but finally got it working. All in all, very positive and I have to say the price makes it okay to mess with and do some learning about fountain pen maintenance instead of practicing on more expensive pens.

:thumbup:

I too love the breakdown feature of the Ahab - very simple but good for learning how it works. I have three Ahabs now, and can now use the entire EF-M set I bought. Still waiting for when I can get the B-OBB. I have at least three vent fins opened in each Ahab, so there is a good amount and consistent flow even with the nib and feed all the way back. This means that cleaning and reassembly only takes about a minute, no adjusting the spacing of the nib and feed. :bunny01:

Out of the colors I own, I think the Pumpkin Ahab is best suited to the Knox nibs...

http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc453/NoodlersCreaper/0301122116.jpg

I'm actually looking to trade the barrel, cap, and section of my Ruby (clear red) Ahab for those of another color. I have a classified linked in my signature, or anyone who is interested can PM me.

Dear PAR.

I try to contact via e-mail with Xfountainpens for KNOX K26 Nibs.But nobody responded to me. I need to change my Wality 69TLs nibs. And for K35 for AHAB also. As I understand you are very experienced with xfountainpens.com.

Can I trust to place an order over 170 $.

I bought the Knox K35 3 pack of the EF,F,M nibs. They fit loosely in the Ahab but a little scotch tape on the back of the nib fixed it.

I had to put 2 layers of tape to get it to stay. I found using a scalpel to trim the excess tape worked well.

The good news is my Ahab works now. The nib is excellent, very smooth writing. I'm happy I was able to rescue the pen.

I do have to say though, the Knox nibs write like a dream. So smooth. It just glides on the paper.

Well worth the price. I think I'll get a couple of the K26 for Noodler's Piston fill pens.

Edited by arcaneradio

"The Fountain Pen is an elegant weapon of a more civilized age"

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

PM me if you would like to exchange postcards.

I bought the Knox K35 3 pack of the EF,F,M nibs. They fit loosely in the Ahab but a little scotch tape on the back of the nib fixed it.

I had to put 2 layers of tape to get it to stay. I found using a scalpel to trim the excess tape worked well.

The good news is my Ahab works now. The nib is excellent, very smooth writing. I'm happy I was able to rescue the pen.

I do have to say though, the Knox nibs write like a dream. So smooth. It just glides on the paper.

Well worth the price. I think I'll get a couple of the K26 for Noodler's Piston fill pens.

Check my last post for a nice option I tried and tested. Works perfectly without using tape.

I'm very glad they worked out for you and that you are enjoying them!

Dear PAR.

I try to contact via e-mail with Xfountainpens for KNOX K26 Nibs.But nobody responded to me. I need to change my Wality 69TLs nibs. And for K35 for AHAB also. As I understand you are very experienced with xfountainpens.com.

Yes, you can trust me. Forgive my hesitance, and near suspicion, to manage a transaction with a stranger, but why exactly do you need me to make the order for you? There isn't much need to contact them since we've already confirmed that the Knox nibs work with the Noodler's pens. Xfountainpens doesn't always respond quickly to customer service inquiries, but they do fill out and send orders reliably and quickly. I recommend that you just place an order.

SamCapote: Interesting find! I've not had any problems with the Knox nibs being loose to the point of being a nuisance, but that should help if I need to do it.

Assume no affiliation to recommendations.

http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc453/NoodlersCreaper/sig0001.jpg

Alternative Noodler's Ahab Nibs

"Free" Custom Fountain Pen Cases

Dear PAR.

Yes, you can trust me. Forgive my hesitance, and near suspicion, to manage a transaction with a stranger, but why exactly do you need me to make the order for you? There isn't much need to contact them since we've already confirmed that the Knox nibs work with the Noodler's pens. Xfountainpens doesn't always respond quickly to customer service inquiries, but they do fill out and send orders reliably and quickly. I recommend that you just place an order.

Dear P.A.R

Thanks for your kind help about KNOX nibs.

This should make it a lot easier to see what a MB M, B, OB, BB, OBB looks like compared to the supposed Knox K35 O2B on macro

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/pike444/Inks/Noodlers/Xfountain9s.jpg

nice pics, can you also post the underside of the MB nibs especially those B,BB,OB,OBB?

Thanks!

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing

Thanks for the great post. My King Philip Ahab nib got bent somehow and I hadn't thought of replacement nibs being a possibility. I bought the 3 assorted pack B, OB, OB2XB for only $17.99 with free shipping.

It finally happened my Ahab with a Knox nib was in my pocket the other day while I was doing some day to day errands. I went to open it up to write something and it didn't just burp it violently spewed in from the cap onto my hands. I'm guessing the nib isn't that tight onto the feed even though it writes fine and is seated all the way into the throat. Never had the problem with the original flex nib. Guess I'll have to retire the pen to the desk or maybe in the bookbag where it won't be so josseled around.

I just got the three pack knox, I have the EF in the pen right now. It is working well, and I have found it has a little flex to it. I am surprised at how well it writes, and how flexible it is. But my noodlers nib is smoother. So I think I will keep the knox nibs as backups.

Edited by pienaar

Do not let old pens lay around in a drawer, get them working and give them to a new fountain pen user.

I just got the three pack knox, I have the EF in the pen right now. It is working well, and I have found it has a little flex to it. I am surprised at how well it writes, and how flexible it is. But my noodlers nib is smoother. So I think I will keep the knox nibs as backups.

You might want to check if the tines are misaligned if it's not as smooth- these nibs aren't meant to be flexed. I agree that the springiness is pleasant, but only one of the three Ahab nibs I've used has been *as* smooth as the any of the three Knox nibs. Just my experience, but it might be worth looking into.

Hi P.A.R.

They arrived and thus far I'm using the Oblique 2X and it's very nice, amazing. I already went through an ink blob and emptying of the converter but I think the nib and feed were in too far. I have a question for you though........the oblique broad seems to have a very slight hook to the left when looking at it, is that normal? Thanks again.

mgepark: I hope you enjoy them! I still have to get the bolder set - I have the finer three pack.

I believe that is the definition of an oblique nib - I'm not entirely certain, but I believe the angled grind is intended to allow people who rotate the pen in their grip slightly from the normal so that they can find and maintain the nib's sweet spot more easily. There are left and right oblique nibs: one is meant for lefties and one for righties, in general.

Hi P.A.R.

They arrived and thus far I'm using the Oblique 2X and it's very nice, amazing. I already went through an ink blob and emptying of the converter but I think the nib and feed were in too far. I have a question for you though........the oblique broad seems to have a very slight hook to the left when looking at it, is that normal? Thanks again.

Thanks for the info. My Ahabs have some new breathe blown into them with these nibs. I'm going to try the Bulow nibs also from reading this great thread.

I believe that is the definition of an oblique nib - I'm not entirely certain, but I believe the angled grind is intended to allow people who rotate the pen in their grip slightly from the normal so that they can find and maintain the nib's sweet spot more easily. There are left and right oblique nibs: one is meant for lefties and one for righties, in general.

Hi P.A.R.

My Knox nibs arrived late this week and I installed a broad in my Ahab. It's a wonderful, smooth nib although probably a bit thin for a real broad, but still wider than my other pens.

This is a great combination and will turn my Ahabs into EDC pens. It's also a reason to purchase more Ahabs. I love the big, fat form-factor of the Ahabs.

Thanks for doing this and the images help immensely.

-=d

Edit: Cleaned up typographical errors.

Edited by Ruminator

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Folks !

Today I received my big quantity Knox K26 Nibs from XFountainPen. Thanks for the service.

Here is the some writing samples and line widths with Knox K26 Nibs. All line thickness are checked with Mitutoyo Absolute Digital Caliper

and verified with microscope.

post-45577-0-45101500-1338894698.jpg

Thanks for that precision measurement information.

• 5 weeks later...

I have simply and blindly followed your advice and ordered some of these nibs.

Since the price is very good, I am not very concerned. The Ahab with its native nib, is not for me, so I hope they'll work :)

Thanks for the idea, it was great. I was about to lose a pen, but now there's a chance I revive it :)

Edited by markos741

- Markos