Ahab With Knox K35 & Bulow Nibs

SamCapote

Hmm. Got my set on Friday and so far have only tried the OBB, OB, M Knox nibs. I absolutely adore the OBB, it is very smooth. I can tell it's oblique by the angle on my OBB, but my OB has no angle and it does not write broad. Not sure if it was mislabeled, nonetheless, a bit disappointing. The medium writes more on the fine side as well.

Two slight issues for me:

-no nib size written (like the OP)

-sometimes the nib slips out for me. Isn't as tight a fit as the flex nib, but a quick push in solves that.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• P.A.R.

• SamCapote

• hedera

• AndyLa

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was excited to see this thread, and thanks to Sam and P.A.R. for bringing us this great nib intel. I ordered the Knox F and M and Bulow silver-tone nibs yesterday, and I'm looking forward to trying them out. I love the Ahab design and ergonomics, but for now I'd prefer a fixed nib. This could end up being a jackpot combo.

I have compared the two colored TWSBI nibs Med & Broad which are supposed to be Bock nibs to the Knox used on Ahab pens with several inks. I cannot find any significant difference in writing smoothness or nib feel on various papers between them. I like the two tone aesthetic beauty of the Knox. Interestingly, the TWSBI with Bock Broad lays down a line width similar to the Knox Medium; & TWSBI Bock Medium is in between a Knox Fine and Knox Medium.

I didn't compare any of these to the old Schmidt nibs on 530/540 clear TWSBI's I have.

Bottom line, the Knox nibs that I have used are very nice quality with the Ahab, comparable to the colored TWSBI Med & Broad Bock performance, but the Knox are nicer looking. I also love using the Knox O2B, but I have to make sure I put each back in it's plastic envelope to keep them straight. You can tell which is which if you get out a loupe, but it is a shame they didn't etch the size for easier reference.

With the new FPN rules, now I REALLY don't know what to put in my signature.

Thanks for that comparison - I may eventually get a TWSBI color based on this, but only if I like the TWSBI ergonomics more than the Ahab (which is notably $30 less expensive.) One of my friends has a clear TWSBI I could try. I noted from the TWSBI Color thread that there was a change in nib size. Were there any other changes in the sizing or ergonomics?

Assume no affiliation to recommendations.

http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc453/NoodlersCreaper/sig0001.jpg

Alternative Noodler's Ahab Nibs

"Free" Custom Fountain Pen Cases

Thanks for that comparison - I may eventually get a TWSBI color based on this, but only if I like the TWSBI ergonomics more than the Ahab (which is notably $30 less expensive.) One of my friends has a clear TWSBI I could try. I noted from the TWSBI Color thread that there was a change in nib size. Were there any other changes in the sizing or ergonomics?

No other changes to the TWSBI basic length and width shape with 530/540/colored 540 (piston retracts to give slightly larger volume in 540 vs. 530). I continue to be irritated by the TWSBI design which assumes that people don't want to post the caps. If you post the TWSBI, it is very imbalanced (heavy towards the cap), not a secure feeling attachment, and the cap attaches to the piston filling knob (so make sure you don't twirl your posted cap). Last time I brought up needing to post it, I was accused of having monster sized hands--like it was a problem with my anatomy, rather than their understanding that there are those who always want to use a pen posted. In contrast, the Ahab is a joy to use posted. I find the Ahab shape and its celluloid type material is much more pleasing to hold.

My Noodler's original flex pen and also a regular Noodler's piston filler are very grateful to have a new life with Knox K26 nibs. Not only do they write, they write well.

I had yanked their original nibs and pitched 'em in the trash quite some time ago, hoping some appropriate nibs would come along someday.

Thank you, P.A.R. and SamCapote, for this great information.

Edited by Essensia

Good to hear that you're enjoying them :thumbup:

I'd like to take the other Noodler's pens I have out of their case, but the nibs pale in comparison to the Bulow one I have now. I was interested in the option advertised by Nathan to put different nibs in the piston pen, but with the pricetags, uncertainty, and difficulty in finding vintage nibs these seem to be a great option. Hopefully Derek followed through on my request to package a K26 nib along with my K35 set that I ordered as the gift he offered for some reason or other- I guess I'll find out when the package gets here (hopefully tomorrow.)

Thanks so much for all the info and pics and everything...

SamCapote, did you do any writing comparisons with the original Ahab nib?

--

Glenn (love those pen posses)

My EF-M K35 set and K26 B came in today. They took a little while to get used to (I had to turn them in my hand a bit to find the sweet spot.) The K26 (which fits the Ebonite, Piston, and Piston Flex) is a bit finicky though - I'm not sure if I flossed that one yet. All are quite smooth.

There were some skipping issues. One of the K35's had some of the steel (or something) still connecting the back of the two tines at the very back of the slit :mellow: , which I had to cut with a hobbby knife before the flow was consistent. Very fun though. It's going to take a very long time to empty my Ahab now that it has an EF nib :unsure:. Fortunately it's an ink I like, Noodler's Bad Blue Heron. 6ml is going to feel like an eternity all the same.

EDIT

Apparently two of the K35's have that metal blockage...

http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc453/NoodlersCreaper/DSC_9898.jpg

That's the M. I just cut it out and flossed it again, but it's still a little iffy. The EF was perfectly fine, and the F was the other one with the metal stuck in between the times (it's now working just fine.)

Edited by P.A.R.

My EF-M K35 set and K26 B came in today. They took a little while to get used to (I had to turn them in my hand a bit to find the sweet spot.) The K26 (which fits the Ebonite, Piston, and Piston Flex) is a bit finicky though - I'm not sure if I flossed that one yet. All are quite smooth.

There were some skipping issues. One of the K35's had some of the steel (or something) still connecting the back of the two tines at the very back of the slit :mellow: , which I had to cut with a hobbby knife before the flow was consistent. Very fun though. It's going to take a very long time to empty my Ahab now that it has an EF nib :unsure:. Fortunately it's an ink I like, Noodler's Bad Blue Heron. 6ml is going to feel like an eternity all the same.

EDIT

Apparently two of the K35's have that metal blockage...

That's the M. I just cut it out and flossed it again, but it's still a little iffy. The EF was perfectly fine, and the F was the other one with the metal stuck in between the times (it's now working just fine.)

Interesting. I didn't have that slit debris with any of mine, but for this price, I don't mind some minor issues. It's nice to have free shipping, and just ordered another set of the Knox.

Has anyone else had any issue with the nibs slipping out? It seems like I am the only one. I've tried then with two different ahabs and different nib sizes (OBB and medium). Also seems like this is causing ink to drip into the cap. Any input would be great.

Has anyone else had any issue with the nibs slipping out? It seems like I am the only one. I've tried then with two different ahabs and different nib sizes (OBB and medium). Also seems like this is causing ink to drip into the cap. Any input would be great.

I had a bit of trouble with the feed sliding sideways under the nib, but this was because I didn't put in the feed completely straight - it's fine now. I had similar dripping problems while in eyedropper mode, but have not had any dripping since I put in the piston and filled the barrel with water as temperature insulation (which also looks cool :thumbup: .) I am still sort of using it as an eyedropper, because the piston seal is too stiff to use. Instead I take out the feed and use a syringe to insert ink through the mouth of the section.

Edited by P.A.R.

Indeed, the Knox is looser than the stock Ahab nib. I have not had any dripping ink using it, nor has it fallen out. If you have an Ahab variation where the Knox nib/feed is too loose, what I would try is a VERY thin sliver (like only 2-3mm wide) of either an inert metal foil like brass (don't use aluminum foil--too reactive), or cut a 2-3mm x 8-10mm piece from a plastic zip-lock bag. Fold it in half, and put around the bottom edge of Knox nib, holding in place as the nib is lined up on the feed. Then carefully insert nib with plastic strip & feed--lined up with cut out recessed section slot, and that should give you enough friction to hold it in place without interfering with ink flow.

I would rather try this option first than bending the back end of the nib with pliers, as it seems like that may easily affect the slit separation...but bending the back end of the Knox nib would be my plan "B." I would probably try to flatten out the curve as plan B-1, and if that didn't work right, plan B-2 would be to try and increase the curve. If I did this, I would use two needle nose pliers, holding the nib's back end in the middle, with nose of first set of pliers pointing out towards the nib's tip. Then I would grip the side(s) with second set of pliers and try to make a slight bend outwards, hopefully keeping it isolated to just that back end so as to preserve the slit & tine alignment. You won't need much flaring to get a good friction grip into the section.

Awesome. Thanks for the advice guys. Sam I'll start off trying the plastic bag thing first since it's the easiest. I really like my OBB nib :). Now I need to find where I misplaced the other five nibs :headsmack:

I got my K35 OBB nib to slip out, but I did have to drop the pen on the floor from about four feet (not on purpose) the nib went flying, I found it, stuck it in since the feed was still there and just kept on writing.

Ahab - The G-Shock of Pens.

You need to evoke more terror in your co-workers. No one would grab Darth Vader's fountain pen. Hmm, I wonder what kind of pen that would be.

-Scribblesoften

The blue translucent Ahab I fitted with the OBB nib is an amazing pen. Unlike my other three Ahabs, it is displaying characteristics of a pen that may never dry out. I left it sitting for a week accidentally, and it starts right up. It's an outstanding combination to the point that I'm agonizing over whether to put another Knox nib in the black Ahab I'll have as soon as I can get my paws on one. It's a close call.

<a href="Http://inkynibbles.com">Inky NIBbles, the ravings of a pen and ink addict.</a>

The blue translucent Ahab I fitted with the OBB nib is an amazing pen. Unlike my other three Ahabs, it is displaying characteristics of a pen that may never dry out. I left it sitting for a week accidentally, and it starts right up. It's an outstanding combination to the point that I'm agonizing over whether to put another Knox nib in the black Ahab I'll have as soon as I can get my paws on one. It's a close call.

Yeah, I agree. That is an amazing nib with these feeds. I was expecting having to carve out some grooves and/or feed slits, but didn't have to. I keep these nibs in their envelopes when not in use, or make a written note which is in which Ahab to not get them mixed up. I switched from OBB to Medium, keeping the same Ellis Island ink in same pen, and it doesn't flow quite as well. I'll try to open the air feed channel and/or a couple of slits and see what that does. I like the Med Knox size for signing checks.

My Ahabs are here and I love them - but I would really like some finer nibs on them!

Xfountainpens have still not come through, but fortunately I was able to swap for a set of nibs with a friend.

However, the Knox nibs do not seem to fit the Ahab at all!

I've tried two different nibs in two different Ahabs, but they are way, waaaay too loose; they basically move whenever I try to write with the pen, and keep sliding every which way.

Meanwhile, ink kept dripping out throught the feed.

I've tried putting a sliver of plastic bag underneath, which worked well in the sense that it secured the nib, but it has completely stopped any kind of ink flow - nothing comes out anymore (and I've tried several sized and thicknesses of plastic, in several different places).

Any thoughts?

The Ahab's original nib is ok, but the line is far too wide for me, even if I don't put any pressure on it at all.

To say that the Knox nibs 'fit' the Ahab is a bit of an optimistic statement, I think....