The Elusive J. Herbin 1670 Gold

mhphoto

J. Herbin's Rouge Hematite 1670 ink is, by popular opinion, a gorgeous ink. That's why I ordered a sample from the wonderful Goulets.

The first time I tried it I have to say I was disappointed. I dove right in with my J. Herbin glass dip pen and went to writing. But the ink dried unevenly and left patches of what looked like a sickly green. So I set it aside and didn't touch it again until today. But in between I read that there were allegedly tiny gold flakes in it. So I got out the paper on which I had tested it when I first got it and took a closer look. Sure enough, what I saw still looked green, but when I put it under a magnifying glass I could see little specks of gold (for whatever reason I see it as green when I'm not up close to it). So I got the bottle back out this morning and shook it well. The color was still drying with a bit of green, but the problem was not nearly as bad as the first time. So I wrote out a nice poem and then promptly got distracted by one of our cats making heinous noises in the hallway and put everything down. So after I cleaned that up I went to clean up the dip pen, and when I picked it up I was pleasantly surprised with what was in the groves of the nib amongst the dried ink.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b375/randy25rhoads/a78d7e02.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b375/randy25rhoads/fb8ed7c8.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b375/randy25rhoads/ec4de6a0.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b375/randy25rhoads/a8f39863.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b375/randy25rhoads/e6cf365e.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b375/randy25rhoads/c14c68ce.jpg

Sorry if the pictures look a bit fuzzy or if the colors/white balance looks wonky. My macro setup is pretty slapdash and I had to use my 4Sevens spotlight for lighting.

fpn_1451747045__img_1999-2.jpg

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scriptorium Pens

• mhphoto

• SamCapote

• Laura N

It took me a few pics before I realized I was staring at the nib of a glass pen. :headsmack:

But wow, gorgeous gold glitter! I wish they had it in other colors, too--like PdL, for instance. 1670 is too red for my tastes. =D Did your poem turn out glittery?

Sheen junkie, flex nib enthusiast, and all-around lover of fountain pens...

I've noticed that too, especially when using the J Herbin glass pens. I can't seem to find a way to get it to look as good on the paper, though...

I'm still of two minds about this ink. I've only used a sample of it, and I really want to like it, but I find myself preferring other reds for the most part (although I do like the gold highlights, when they work, for the most part it only looks greenish on the paper I tried). I can't decide whether I want a bottle or not.

Wow, fantastic pictures! Reminds me very much of Christmas tree ornaments.

"Be who you are and say what you feel; because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

The Poor Connoisseurs

Nice macro photos with great lighting. I will have to try your 4Sevens trick the next time I take macro shots. I hadn't thought to use my flashlight as a side light.

Very cool photos!

With the new FPN rules, now I REALLY don't know what to put in my signature.

Beautiful pictures. This ink is great in a fountain pen with a broad or stub nib. Such a nib really lays down the color and gold. Great ink. Just be sure to keep your nibs clean when using it!

Royce O'Rourke - Realtor! is now available in

PRINT

I notice this on the writing, very subtle on the downstrokes.

nice pic btw

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing

Interesting. I have a sample of this ink that I haven't tried yet. I think I will keep it well away from my fountain pens, and only try it in a dip pen.

Thanks for the kind words on the pictures everyone.

Very Cool!

I wish they would do similar but with Blue ink and a silver suspension.

That would be a definite buy for me! And since silver has strong antimicrobial and anti-fungal properties it might cut down on the possibility of mold growing in the bottle.

Those are amazing pics of a beautiful pen and ink combo!

And to think we owe it all to cat puke.

Haha, yup. You can thank this little bugger.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b375/randy25rhoads/cb979b69.jpg

So is this ink naturally very shady? Truth be told I've only tried it with the dip pen and a Noodler's Flex pen, and in both the ink shades like crazy, and where the ink pools and dries very dark (which is also where gold pools, turning those parts of the letters looking a bit green).

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b375/randy25rhoads/a5da8cef.jpg

You can't really see it, but in person the thicker the ink is the more green comes out.