Wax Seals And Sealing Wax - Redux

kiavonne

A few years back, I attempted to put all the thread links for wax seals and sealing wax topics into one because of a surge in the topics and the "use the search function" responses I'd seen. Well, time goes on, and lately there has been a new surge on the subject. So, I found my old thread, pulled over the links from that one and added as many as I could find from since that time. I'm sure I've missed many, and some photos may be missing and whatnot, but there is still some good info out there. I also didn't feel like moving about a lot today, so this was a time task I felt some interest in doing. wink.gif

By the way, some of these threads are really old and their authors may be inactive, so be sure to consider this if you are wanting more info and wanting to resurrect up old threads. A new topic may or may not be warranted. I also think it would be cool to post photos in the Pictures & Pen Photography forum for those of us willing to post up their pictures (many again for the somethingumpteenth time biggrin.gif ) for nice photo references of seals and waxes.

If you find a thread I missed, feel free to add it. (Likewise, please forgive me of any repeats.)

From the old consolidation thread:

Wax Seals! (and sealing wax) - Jen

Wax seal help - anyone in the uk? - peachez

Envelopless Letters, Folding 101 - garythepenman

Seals and wax shop needed! (Looking for reputable online stores) - ScottT

Sealing wax that can withstand the mail? (Is there such a thing?) - chud

Before there were envelopes... (Antiquated correspondence) - Ogrebait

Review: Atelier Gargoyle Sealing Wax (Flexible and post-office-safe) - chud

Wax: traditional vs flexible - Spongebob

Atelier Gargoyle (Are they still in business in San Fran?) - Spongebob

Where To Get Supplies (Ink, Paper & Sealing Wax) - Hylian

Sending wax-sealed envelopes thru the mail (a field test) - Spongebob

wax seal company (man, what a pain) - Tony the Tiger

How DO you use a wax seal? - Garageboy

Envelopes yourself? - handlebar

Carl W Lemke desk seals? (Any feedback?) - nate1865

Sealing Wax - wvbeetlebug

Best Place for Custom Seals? - Djehuty

custom seal in NZ? (one of the more inconveniences of living on an isolated island) - FieryPhoenix

Sealing wax, Seals and things (Do they still make and or sell?) - Maria

J herbin Cire Souple Sealing Wax - JakobS

Pictures of J. Herbin sealing wax in action - tisfortorrey

WAX Melting Apparatus - (no longer a member)

What is your favorite sealing wax? - (no longer a member)

I have a few questions about sealing-wax (For those who use it) - Shangas

Things to use for wax seal imprints on envelopes? (and other sealing questions....) - Gran

Line of vintage but not rare wax seals (any history?) - chud

How-to Video for using sealing wax: link (very short, instructive demo) - Gran

Sealing wax: step-by-step photo tutorial - GreenVelvet

Dexter Wax Seals, Need Some Advice - wrath186

J. Herbin Supple Sealing Wax, Seals, Handle ...plus custom Goulet stamp handles! - GouletPens (note! custom handles are no longer made!)

More recent topics:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/289204-using-wax-seals-for-letters-or-cards/?view=getnewpost - fountainpenlady

Online Stores For Wax Seals - dizzymizzy

Sealing Wax Seals (post pictures please) - jbb

Letter Seals In Middle Ages Arabia (Information required) - pathobby

Russian Sterling Enamel Desk Sets...authentic? - Pepin

Sealing Wax And Gift Cards - frotz

Paper Suggestions For Letters? Clairefontaine Questions Too - gks

Wax Seals Through International Mail - Nimmireth

Affordable Sealing Wax - Keye Skware

Custom Wax Seal - meghan

Seal Waxing Your Envelop - crls145

Is This A Wax Jack ? - jbb

Diy Lino Chop - drumley

Cinnabar Seal Paste Sources? (Not sure where to go or what to spend) - ninly

Am I Asking Too Much? (Stationary) - dlynnt

The Messy Wax Seal Award - Judybug

Help Finding A Particular Wax Seal (Maybe you've seen it) - jjlax10

Dexter Desk Seal #2 (image heavy) - kiavonne

This Is Getting To Be A Habit (Dexter Seal annual craving fullfillment) - kiavonne

Sealing Wax Seals From Leather Stamps (nice, big & inexpensive) - jbb

How Do You Store Your Wax Seals? (Photos please) - fuchsiaprincess

Wax Seal Ring? (Interested in finding a wax seal ring...letter G) - dayonfire

My New Wax Seal - Judybug

New Wax Seal Signet Ring In Rose Gold (From the Artists at Dexter) - yachtsilverswan

Wax Seal - Voomie

Show us your wax seals - Rena

On The Subject Of Wax Seals... (Help required!) - Moagy

Sealing Wax? (Ok, educate me...) - waterman1924

Wax Seal Shaping Form (Pouring wax into metal ring guide) - yachtsilverswan

Melting Sealing Wax (What do you use?) - jbb

Nabbed This Today - jjlax10

Multi-Headed Sealing Wax Seal - jbb

Stewart Houghton Sealing Wax (My humble review) - Basilios

J. Herbin Brass Seal And Supple Wax - sygyzy

Thorough Review of J. Herbin Sealing Wax (Five different sticks, four different colors!) - tisfortorrey

My Wax Seals - Update New Techniques & My Cadillac Seal - S. P. Colfer

My Very First Attempt At A Wax Seal - S. P. Colfer

Hot Dog! Just Got The Neatest Wax Seal (Cadillac Emblem) - S. P. Colfer

Any Problems With Wax Seals Falling Off? - S. P. Colfer

And Christmas Cards Begin... - jlepens

Manly Letter Writing Advice (From my favorite men's site) - CraigR

Looking For A Custom Desk Seal Maker In The Us - frotz

My Seal Pouch (everything but the seal wax skillet for seal making!) - jlepens

Hot Wax Seals (Recommendations?) - withoutink

Personalised Wax Seals - vintagepilot

Curious About Wax Seals... (and where to get them) - khymeera

Signet rings? (Why, from where and how?) - Stuggi

Recommendations for Seals - jeremy15

Antique Seal Or Fob? What Is This Called? - jbb

Chinese Chops (Seals) Buy online - inkypete

Eight Face Wax Seal (Eight ways to seal the deal) - hardyb

Smoked Wax Seal Impression (Has anyone tried it?)

Wax Seal Components

Can Anyone Translate? - Octo

A Wax Seal Overview And Comparison (with a toss to Red Comma for the unexpected result) - kiavonne

wax seal fobs

detailed "off the shelf" stamps

detailed custom and off the shelf seals

Edited by fountainpenlady

Ea Alis Volat Propiis, per/Repletus Fontis Calamus!
She Flies by Her Own Wings, with filled Fountain Pen

Delta DolceVita, F-C Intrinsic 02, Pelikan M800 red/black striation, Bexley ATB Strawberry Swirl, Red Jinhao 159, Platinum 3776 Bourgogne. :wub:

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kiavonne

• fountainpenlady

• ScottT

• sharonspens

I think I need a seal. My kids keep admiring Tringle's letters.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

@Amber - I like to use my seal, just a fun addition to writing letters to friends and family. :)

@Amber - I like to use my seal, just a fun addition to writing letters to friends and family. :)

Same here, I have been contemplating designing my own wax seal. Right now, I have a quill/ink bottle seal and two others which are not worth mentioning. I have developed a new interest in the wax sticks themselves. They come in so many different colors and makes even putting them on envelopes unique to each recipient.

Delta DolceVita, F-C Intrinsic 02, Pelikan M800 red/black striation, Bexley ATB Strawberry Swirl, Red Jinhao 159, Platinum 3776 Bourgogne. :wub:

By the way, after a few attempts I did manage to get a decent seal with my Chinese stone stamp. Although I think it would look a lot better if I inked the stamp first. I need to try that process next. :)

- Jon Zenor

Christian, Author, Starship Captain, and all around fun guy.

Follow me on Twitter: @JLZenor

• 1 year later...

Although the last comment was compiled well over a year ago, I have to say that I'm very much looking forward to receiving my wax and seal through the post anyday now!

flying-letter-postcard-exc.png

Although the last comment was compiled well over a year ago, I have to say that I'm very much looking forward to receiving my wax and seal through the post anyday now!

Too wonderful! It continues to be fun to add that special touch by wax sealing. Also, stamps in USA have gone down so it is even more fun to not have to until they go up again use only one stamp to mail a letter and it suffices instead of having to purchase two because of the wax sealing.

Too wonderful! It continues to be fun to add that special touch by wax sealing. Also, stamps in USA have gone down so it is even more fun to not have to until they go up again use only one stamp to mail a letter and it suffices instead of having to purchase two because of the wax sealing.

Hmm, I didn't think of the extra costs. I shall see what the price of the stamp will be, but hopefully it won't be like in the U.S where you're paying for 2 stamps! That just sounds ridiculous really.

flying-letter-postcard-exc.png

• 7 months later...

How did your seal arrive? Is it a letter or symbol?

This is a great thread. Wax seals makes for an extra treat in the letterbox. I have 7 off-the-shelf seals, another one I designed and had made professionally via laser, and 6 more I made myself. I think a lot of people dabble with wax seals and appreciate them.

• 1 year later...

These seals are pretty cool, but what exactly are they used for? Just curious - you certainly can't use them to seal letters any more since they would just get smashed in the automatic cancelling machines, at least here in the USA. So, what do folks use them for? huh.gif

I use them on gifts.

I use them on gifts.

I wax to seal the back of envelopes mostly all the time except bills. I don't wax seal any bills or the envelope used to pay rent. Otherwise, I wax seal cards, letters. At times, it has cost me 21 cents more, other times for whatever reason I do not have to pay any extra fee for whatever piece of mail is wax sealed. I have seldom had a problem with the seal being mangled or broken. It is why I don't mind paying extra if need be to have them hand stamped. At some point, I am going to think up a design which is unique to me and use it nearly exclusively perhaps.I think wax sealing is akin to using a fountain pen and bottled ink. They almost go hand in hand with the fact people are no more routinely using fountain pens or filling their pens with ink, no more then people are using wax seals to add a personal and individual touch to their correspondence.

• 3 weeks later...

I wax to seal the back of envelopes mostly all the time except bills. I don't wax seal any bills or the envelope used to pay rent. Otherwise, I wax seal cards, letters. At times, it has cost me 21 cents more, other times for whatever reason I do not have to pay any extra fee for whatever piece of mail is wax sealed. I have seldom had a problem with the seal being mangled or broken. It is why I don't mind paying extra if need be to have them hand stamped. At some point, I am going to think up a design which is unique to me and use it nearly exclusively perhaps.I think wax sealing is akin to using a fountain pen and bottled ink. They almost go hand in hand with the fact people are no more routinely using fountain pens or filling their pens with ink, no more then people are using wax seals to add a personal and individual touch to their correspondence.

Ditto this. I seal almost all letters, holiday cards, and the like - all social correspondence except postcards. I presume the seals arrive intact, but I haven't asked anyone. If I point out the seal to the postal clerk, or he/she catches it, I will get charged extra. otherwise, they slide through on regular stamps.

Sharon in Indiana

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Earnest Hemingway

Ditto this. I seal almost all letters, holiday cards, and the like - all social correspondence except postcards. I presume the seals arrive intact, but I haven't asked anyone. If I point out the seal to the postal clerk, or he/she catches it, I will get charged extra. otherwise, they slide through on regular stamps.

Sharon in Indiana

Believe in the entire time I have been wax sealing, only one did not make it in tact and I paid extra money on an extra stamp to mail that one as I recall. I kind of don't mind, the postal clerks where I live are really nice and they seem to get a kick out of seeing what wax seal is on the rear of whatever I am mailing.

I have a embosser made from my name in Japanese from a Hanko stamp. Just scanned the stamp, cleaned it up in Photoshop the file was used to make the embosser. I and now have a custom embosser that I use for letters, backs of envelopes and other uses. A wax seal is my next step with my design. What's nice is that they will all have the same exact design.

Edited by Tasmith

• 3 months later...

And? did you get it? Does it increase postage costs?

Regarding increased postage costs for letters with wax seals, here in the US my experience has been a solid: it depends. When I asked a postal clerk, she responded in what I could only describe as high dudgeon and informed me I SIMPLY MUST purchase additional postage, period. I did so, only to be questioned by my maillady (she was awesome), "Why are you paying extra?"

Ever since, I just drop them in a mailbox, with one stamp. They have all been delivered (aside from that lost one in 2014), and none has ever been returned for extra postage.

Regarding increased postage costs for letters with wax seals, here in the US my experience has been a solid: it depends. When I asked a postal clerk, she responded in what I could only describe as high dudgeon and informed me I SIMPLY MUST purchase additional postage, period. I did so, only to be questioned by my maillady (she was awesome), "Why are you paying extra?"

Ever since, I just drop them in a mailbox, with one stamp. They have all been delivered (aside from that lost one in 2014), and none has ever been returned for extra postage.

Totally agree and totally confused. Same here for I do not know long, purchased 21 cent stamps along with the regular ones. Since wax sealing, I would also stand in line instead of a drop in the mailbox. The mail clerks enjoy finding out what seal I am using the color of wax. I have stood in long lines too. Then once magically I did not have to pay the extra 21 cents. Thank goodness I purchased only two or three at a time. So, it depends as you say whether you have to pay extra or not when wax sealing envelopes. I think how I found out was actually mailing a card bigger than a letter and inquired as to why I only had to pay 49 cents to mail and no more and that is how I discovered I no longer needed to pay the extra money. I have been told by a couple people at different times that although paying extra, what I mail still goes through the same machine and not hand stamped which is supposedly what the extra money to pay for a stamp is suppose to cover. I have no clue but sincerely hope not for all the extra money and trouble spent. :)

Totally agree and totally confused. Same here for I do not know long, purchased 21 cent stamps along with the regular ones. Since wax sealing, I would also stand in line instead of a drop in the mailbox. The mail clerks enjoy finding out what seal I am using the color of wax. I have stood in long lines too. Then once magically I did not have to pay the extra 21 cents. Thank goodness I purchased only two or three at a time. So, it depends as you say whether you have to pay extra or not when wax sealing envelopes. I think how I found out was actually mailing a card bigger than a letter and inquired as to why I only had to pay 49 cents to mail and no more and that is how I discovered I no longer needed to pay the extra money. I have been told by a couple people at different times that although paying extra, what I mail still goes through the same machine and not hand stamped which is supposedly what the extra money to pay for a stamp is suppose to cover. I have no clue but sincerely hope not for all the extra money and trouble spent. :)

You may add me to the list of people who have been told that. I pay extra for special handling and it goes through the machines anyway? I asked this specifically when the recipient showed the seal being 'eaten' partially, but cleanly, on arrival. If not at the entry point to the whole process, somewhere it was run through a machine, so why go through the extra bother?

On an unrelated note, has anyone tried sending a traditional wax seal inside the envelope, but sealing the letter itself? If so, how did it fare?

• 3 months later...
On an unrelated note, has anyone tried sending a traditional wax seal inside the envelope, but sealing the letter itself? If so, how did it fare?

A pen pal recently sent me a letter where the letter itself was sealed with traditional wax before the letter went into the envelope, and the seal was largely obliterated during its trip to New Jersey from the UK. On the plus side, enough survived that I had to break it to open the letter.

You may add me to the list of people who have been told that. I pay extra for special handling and it goes through the machines anyway? I asked this specifically when the recipient showed the seal being 'eaten' partially, but cleanly, on arrival. If not at the entry point to the whole process, somewhere it was run through a machine, so why go through the extra bother?

Yes, it goes through the same machines. Of course it goes through the same machines--they aren't going to build separate mail processing facilities for this. Maybe somebody behind the counter will do more with it by hand, but the actual sorting centers are automated. If they weren't then stamps would cost much more than they do now.

Funky sized envelopes are charged more because on average they tend to cause more problems. For example, they'll jam the sorting machines, which stops the entire line, and holds everything up (and thus increases costs). Normal envelopes can jam things up, too. But odd sizes cause problems more frequently, so they charge more for that.

Is it fair? Well that depends on what you're mailing. If I'm just mailing standard #10 envelopes then maybe I don't want the basic postal rate to go up in order to subsidize the funky shaped envelopes.

Edited by XYZZY