Wax Seals And Sealing Wax - Redux

kiavonne

A few years back, I attempted to put all the thread links for wax seals and sealing wax topics into one because of a surge in the topics and the "use the search function" responses I'd seen. Well, time goes on, and lately there has been a new surge on the subject. So, I found my old thread, pulled over the links from that one and added as many as I could find from since that time. I'm sure I've missed many, and some photos may be missing and whatnot, but there is still some good info out there. I also didn't feel like moving about a lot today, so this was a time task I felt some interest in doing. ;)

By the way, some of these threads are really old and their authors may be inactive, so be sure to consider this if you are wanting more info and wanting to resurrect up old threads. A new topic may or may not be warranted. I also think it would be cool to post photos in the Pictures & Pen Photography forum for those of us willing to post up their pictures (many again for the somethingumpteenth time :D ) for nice photo references of seals and waxes.

If you find a thread I missed, feel free to add it. (Likewise, please forgive me of any repeats.)

From the old consolidation thread:

Wax Seals! (and sealing wax) - Jen

Wax seal help - anyone in the uk? - peachez

Envelopless Letters, Folding 101 - garythepenman

Seals and wax shop needed! (Looking for reputable online stores) - ScottT

Sealing wax that can withstand the mail? (Is there such a thing?) - chud

Before there were envelopes... (Antiquated correspondence) - Ogrebait

Review: Atelier Gargoyle Sealing Wax (Flexible and post-office-safe) - chud

Wax: traditional vs flexible - Spongebob

Atelier Gargoyle (Are they still in business in San Fran?) - Spongebob

Where To Get Supplies (Ink, Paper & Sealing Wax) - Hylian

Sending wax-sealed envelopes thru the mail (a field test) - Spongebob

wax seal company (man, what a pain) - Tony the Tiger

How DO you use a wax seal? - Garageboy

Envelopes yourself? - handlebar

Carl W Lemke desk seals? (Any feedback?) - nate1865

Sealing Wax - wvbeetlebug

Best Place for Custom Seals? - Djehuty

custom seal in NZ? (one of the more inconveniences of living on an isolated island) - FieryPhoenix

Sealing wax, Seals and things (Do they still make and or sell?) - Maria

J herbin Cire Souple Sealing Wax - JakobS

Pictures of J. Herbin sealing wax in action - tisfortorrey

WAX Melting Apparatus - (no longer a member)

What is your favorite sealing wax? - (no longer a member)

I have a few questions about sealing-wax (For those who use it) - Shangas

Things to use for wax seal imprints on envelopes? (and other sealing questions....) - Gran

Line of vintage but not rare wax seals (any history?) - chud

How-to Video for using sealing wax: link (very short, instructive demo) - Gran

Sealing wax: step-by-step photo tutorial - GreenVelvet

Dexter Wax Seals, Need Some Advice - wrath186

J. Herbin Supple Sealing Wax, Seals, Handle ...plus custom Goulet stamp handles! - GouletPens (note! custom handles are no longer made!)

More recent topics:

Online Stores For Wax Seals - dizzymizzy

Sealing Wax Seals (post pictures please) - jbb

Letter Seals In Middle Ages Arabia (Information required) - pathobby

Russian Sterling Enamel Desk Sets...authentic? - Pepin

Sealing Wax And Gift Cards - frotz

Paper Suggestions For Letters? Clairefontaine Questions Too - gks

Wax Seals Through International Mail - Nimmireth

Affordable Sealing Wax - Keye Skware

Custom Wax Seal - meghan

Seal Waxing Your Envelop - crls145

Is This A Wax Jack ? - jbb

Diy Lino Chop - drumley

Cinnabar Seal Paste Sources? (Not sure where to go or what to spend) - ninly

Am I Asking Too Much? (Stationary) - dlynnt

The Messy Wax Seal Award - Judybug

Help Finding A Particular Wax Seal (Maybe you've seen it) - jjlax10

Dexter Desk Seal #2 (image heavy) - kiavonne

This Is Getting To Be A Habit (Dexter Seal annual craving fullfillment) - kiavonne

Sealing Wax Seals From Leather Stamps (nice, big & inexpensive) - jbb

How Do You Store Your Wax Seals? (Photos please) - fuchsiaprincess

Wax Seal Ring? (Interested in finding a wax seal ring...letter G) - dayonfire

My New Wax Seal - Judybug

New Wax Seal Signet Ring In Rose Gold (From the Artists at Dexter) - yachtsilverswan

Wax Seal - Voomie

Show us your wax seals - Rena

On The Subject Of Wax Seals... (Help required!) - Moagy

Sealing Wax? (Ok, educate me...) - waterman1924

Wax Seal Shaping Form (Pouring wax into metal ring guide) - yachtsilverswan

Melting Sealing Wax (What do you use?) - jbb

Nabbed This Today - jjlax10

Multi-Headed Sealing Wax Seal - jbb

Stewart Houghton Sealing Wax (My humble review) - Basilios

J. Herbin Brass Seal And Supple Wax - sygyzy

Thorough Review of J. Herbin Sealing Wax (Five different sticks, four different colors!) - tisfortorrey

My Wax Seals - Update New Techniques & My Cadillac Seal - S. P. Colfer

My Very First Attempt At A Wax Seal - S. P. Colfer

Hot Dog! Just Got The Neatest Wax Seal (Cadillac Emblem) - S. P. Colfer

Any Problems With Wax Seals Falling Off? - S. P. Colfer

And Christmas Cards Begin... - jlepens

Manly Letter Writing Advice (From my favorite men's site) - CraigR

Looking For A Custom Desk Seal Maker In The Us - frotz

My Seal Pouch (everything but the seal wax skillet for seal making!) - jlepens

Hot Wax Seals (Recommendations?) - withoutink

Personalised Wax Seals - vintagepilot

Curious About Wax Seals... (and where to get them) - khymeera

Signet rings? (Why, from where and how?) - Stuggi

Recommendations for Seals - jeremy15

Antique Seal Or Fob? What Is This Called? - jbb

Chinese Chops (Seals) Buy online - inkypete

Eight Face Wax Seal (Eight ways to seal the deal) - hardyb

Smoked Wax Seal Impression (Has anyone tried it?)

Wax Seal Components

Can Anyone Translate? - Octo

A Wax Seal Overview And Comparison (with a toss to Red Comma for the unexpected result) - kiavonne

wax seal fobs

detailed "off the shelf" stamps

detailed custom and off the shelf seals

Edited by saskia_madding

Scribere est agere.

To write is to act.

Danitrio Fellowship

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kiavonne

• fountainpenlady

• ScottT

• sharonspens

These seals are pretty cool, but what exactly are they used for? Just curious - you certainly can't use them to seal letters any more since they would just get smashed in the automatic cancelling machines, at least here in the USA. So, what do folks use them for? :huh:

(I mean no disrespect, I really want to know....) and do I need to get one? :unsure:

Holly

These seals are pretty cool, but what exactly are they used for? Just curious - you certainly can't use them to seal letters any more since they would just get smashed in the automatic cancelling machines, at least here in the USA. So, what do folks use them for? :huh:

(I mean no disrespect, I really want to know....) and do I need to get one? :unsure:

Holly

Hi, Holly.

Glad to see you at FPN.

No disrespect taken at all. We really do still use them on letters, and other things, still as a sign of recognition as well as just the plain fun, or maybe obsession, of it all. I use my seals on all my written correspondence.

Traditional sealing wax, as that used in days gone by, was used to prevent tampering. Seals began as a way of recognition, both in trade and status, and go back much further than sealing wax.

Traditional wax is still made today, and J.Herbin traditional wax is made with the same recipes used in the 17th century. Traditional wax would more be for show these days, on certificates and such, as you are correct in that it will not survive the modern mailing system. However, we now have supple waxes, most notable from J.Herbin and Atelier Gargoyle, which come in many colors and are able to survive mailing very well. There are also glue gun waxes which are used for those things that need a lot of seals fast, like for use on wedding invitations. Signet seal rings and desk seals are still popular, and still showing who we are. I'm into just about anything involving the handwritten word, and the romance of days and centuries gone by, so fountain pens, seals, and sealing wax are elements that seem to have been meant to be a part of my passions.

Oh, and, you only need to get one if owning one feels right and appropriate for who you are. We'll love ya regardless.

Edited by kiavonne

Scribere est agere.

To write is to act.

Danitrio Fellowship

• 3 months later...

Greetings, FPNers! I spoke with HDoug and he gave me the go ahead to do some moderation on this topic. I've cleaned it up - deleting all the merely congratulatory posts and kiavonne's updating - and added the updates into the original thread. I've also pinned the topic.

I'll check back in periodically and repeat the process - clean up posts that aren't part of the index or don't post new information, and update the original post. And I'll probably delete this post of mine too, after a while.

Thanks, guys!

Wonderful to see this cleaned up and pinned. :notworthy1: :notworthy1:

Edited by SamCapote

With the new FPN rules, now I REALLY don't know what to put in my signature.

Wow, saskia_madding, thank you very much! This is way cool. :thumbup:

I think Sam was telling me about a few more posts, so I'll have to go looking I guess.

Cleaning A Wax Seal (Help, Please!) - Cerbeos

Two Tone Wax Seal - spcitrin

Lion Wax Seal (Sources?) - Federer

Sooting A Wax Seal Impression From A Signet Ring - yachtsilverswan

The Eagle Has Landed - Wax Seal Arrived ! - SamCapote

Signet Rings In Sterling Silver? - theswordguy

Freezing Supple Wax For Easy Breaking - theswordguy

Atelier Gargoyle Wax Stamps - NeelsK

New Dexter Seal (Haab from the Mayan Calendar) - NeelsK

Wax Seals And Sealing Wax Fun (Please post all your photos for reference!)

My Most Recent Seal (from Dexter, of course)

Edited by kiavonne

Scribere est agere.

To write is to act.

Danitrio Fellowship

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

• 4 months later...

If anyone needs to find any REALLY good wax, go to Atelier Gargoyle. If you get this wax, you will need to get a jet lighter/lighter used for cigars, due to it not having a wick.

"If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader."

-John Quincy Adams

"Being honest may not get you a lot of friends, but it will get you the right ones."

-John Lennon

Hi!

I was wondering, with so many experienced ladies and gentlemen here so knowledgeable on wax seals, if I could trouble you for your opinion.

1. In choosing a seal- after reading many posts on this forum, I am leaning towards a square seal with either my first, last, or a monogram containing all three initials. Do you have any opinion regarding this or insight as to whether or not there is proper etiquette regarding choice and order of initials?

2. I was wondering if the initial should be more simple and clean or ornate, like Romane French initials?

3. Do you have any recommendations as to where I should order from? I've come across names such as Red Comma and LetterSeals.com.

4. Finally,does anyone know of someone whom I could commission for a design?

Thank you!

~O.F.

Edited by Old Fashioned

O.F., I responded to your PM. :)

Scribere est agere.

To write is to act.

Danitrio Fellowship

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

Hi all, I am from Hong Kong and I am a seal lovers too.

I love to collect wax seals and rubber stamps since I was small, there are already 40-50 wax seals at my home now.

And I guess the reason behind was because My family is doing the wax seal business.

This is a truly traditional business and truly amazing when I see the customers is using the wax seals on the invitation card, using a traditional way to present the invitation.

I am happy to found this forum as there is not much discussing about the seals in chinese market ^^

I will definitely go through the thread you listed one by one, thank you so much and hope to share more with you~

Jason @ BM

Black Market Wax Seal and Leather Stamp

Black Market Wax Seal and Leather Stamp is a professional stamp maker locating in Hong Kong.

We provide a full personalized service on making stamp; custom wax seal, electricity branding iron,

leather stamp, soap stamp and rubber stamp.

• 2 months later...

post-8917-0-72041500-1392783819.jpg

I added a photo of this seal in the pen photography forum, too. One of my graduate students gave this to me today. She picked it up for me in Venice. I haven't had a chance to try it just yet, but I look forward to playing with it.

Sharon in Indiana

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Earnest Hemingway

• 3 months later...

I am highly excited - I have finally figured out how to use the seal! It seems that I was gifted with the wrong kind of wax (i.e., the breakable kind), and I need flexible wax. After watching several how-to videos, including Goulet's (thank you, Brian), i ordered appropriate wax and practiced for an hour today.

hurrah!!!!!

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Earnest Hemingway

• 3 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Actually, I do use mine to seal envelopes to go through the U.S. mail, using flexible mailing wax. I presume the vast majority of them get through just fine, judging by the number of similarly wax sealed envelopes I receive from my pen pals. I intend to seal my Christmas cards this year, and just bought two seals for that very purpose. Note - I mailed two international letters with wax seals recently. The postal clerk charged me extra because of the seals; first time I've had THAT happen.

Sharon in Indiana

I use them to seal letters too, and in fact I have some envelopes that are not gummed, and I send those through the mail fine using the wax seal as the *only* seal on the envelope. It seems to work fine, as far as I know.

A handwritten blog (mostly)

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

• 1 month later...

Great to see so many enjoying using wax seals! I stumbled upon them once just browsing around Goulet Pens' website and have been hooked ever since. I use the J.Herbin supple wax and as others have noted, haven't had any trouble sending them through the US post office. I've also taken to putting a seal on the bottom of a letter next to my signature. It adds a little class to the letter and I like that it'll stay there as long as the letter itself exists (I imagine most people, myself included just throw away the envelopes and the broken seals go with them).