• Bo Bo Olson

• Rick Propas

• Kalessin

• N1003U

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Beautifully pens. M900/10 is on my wish list.

PELIKAN: 100N,100N,100N,101N,M250,400,400NN,500N,500NN,500NN,M1000

AURORA: Optima Demonstrator

PILOT: Elabo Falcon

TWSBI: 530,540,Vac700,Mini

• 4 weeks later...

A question regarding the engravers for the pens, are there some considered 'better' than others, or are they all good as they are working on the Toledo and have to keep to the confines of the design ? Have there only been a select number of people working on the pens ?

( I ask in the same way that some prefer Van Gogh to Renoir and this is pure art on a pen )

Also in terms of mechanisms / pens themselves, is there any fundamental difference between the current gold/silver logo'd pen lid versions and a Toledo from 10 years ago ? The main difference I see is they use to have PF on the nib, which some state as flexible.

Lastly, what exactly does the "Vermeil" mean when used in conjunction with the Toledo ?

Thanks in advance for the input, I see a Toledo in my future, I just want to get some research done first.

A question regarding the engravers for the pens, are there some considered 'better' than others, or are they all good as they are working on the Toledo and have to keep to the confines of the design ? Have there only been a select number of people working on the pens ?

First, so far there have only been three known engravers of the modern ones (anything that's not 111T) and afaik they are all family: The father that's now retired and two sons; and IMHO to pit one another is kinda missing the point of the series; the human touch and rather tasteless at best. Secondly, from pure collecting point of view, if you want just one pen it's probably better to go for vintage (it will hurt $$$$), but if you wanna get a complete series it's probably better to have the works of a same engraver. Which I prefer, but impossible with vintage as CT has retired before M710/M910 release. and EH's work is very detailed, and deep anyway. I am a fan but he has to buy the beer, because of him I am broke. :)

Also in terms of mechanisms / pens themselves, is there any fundamental difference between the current gold/silver logo'd pen lid versions and a Toledo from 10 years ago ? The main difference I see is they use to have PF on the nib, which some state as flexible.

Apart from the subjective aesthetics, no... Just more modern production technique and resin, the same as Souveraen progression. While it's true that the 700 Toledo nib has more give (IMO) it's pointless; still too stiff for flourish, and too springy to keep a thin monoline thin. And I can't speak of the big ones, but I suspect the same as M800 nib, except you can find that elusive 14C, no different. Horses for courses of course.

Lastly, what exactly does the "Vermeil" mean when used in conjunction with the Toledo ? Thanks in advance for the input, I see a Toledo in my future, I just want to get some research done first.

The same as everywhere: Gold or Rhodium over sterling silver. The early M710 is just sterling, mind you. No worries and good luck mate.

Tony

Pie pellicane Iesu Domine, me immundum munda tuo Sanguine – St Thomas Aquinas

"ON THE PLEASURE OF TAKING UP ONE'S PEN", Hilaire Belloc

Tony, thanks very much for the insight. If its all the same family, picking a favorite child is not something to be done! Sounds like there is more variation in the vintage pens too - I had seen different names on the warranty cards. And yes I have seen the prices of the vintage ones :-(

• 2 months later...

1937 was before the war...before Hitler stole the gold from pens and more than likely the silver too in the summer of '38.

The war started when the Polish calvary attacked the Octoberfest in Munich on 1 Sept of 1939. Just like the Poles, don't get nothing right O-Fest starts about 15 Sept.

Rick I'm glad your this part of your collection is complete.

I don't think modern folks would have bought the old fashioned cap tops...with out the a big sales pitch....retro...is more in now than a couple of decades ago.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

• 5 weeks later...

.... (excluding the silver models and all the cute colored barrels)...

If I may humbly add Rick, those cute colours are the exact tricolours of the German flag. Jet black, traffic red, and cadmium yellow. Which I accidentally found when putting them side by side with corresponding aquarelle pencils.

Here's the red with a factory Rhodinized 18C M600 Medium CI, reset deeper to fit. I reckon this looks better instead of the bitone stock nib with the silver trims.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3806/11473688175_8fd6dfd046_b.jpg

Pie pellicane Iesu Domine, me immundum munda tuo Sanguine – St Thomas Aquinas

"ON THE PLEASURE OF TAKING UP ONE'S PEN", Hilaire Belloc

• 4 weeks later...

Beautiful collection! Thank you for sharing the photo.

I'm quite fond of those early ones in your photo....must be hard to find those I would imagine.

~ Justifying pen purchases since 2013 ~

• 2 months later...

Just as a bit of a follow-up, I thought it might be fun to post an image of three vintage Toledos, which comprise all of the currently known variants. From bottom to top, a 1932 (second year) 111T, an extremely uncommon short captop 111T from ca 1935 (currently there are just two known, although undoubtedly there are others out there) and a 1938 111NT in near mint condition. There may also exist a short captop 111NT but as yet none are known.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b77/rickp/ThreeToledos2_zpsc9ff8e82.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b77/rickp/threeToledos1_zps399e6502.jpg

• 2 months later...

hummm, thats great collection. i dont have a pelikan till today. but i want to have a plikan ductus. love all the cool collection of toledos.

thanks for the posting.

:thumbup: :thumbup:

• 11 months later...

Where can I buy a M910 in red with the single tone rhodium plated nib?

It looks great. I want it.

• 3 weeks later...

Just as a bit of a follow-up, I thought it might be fun to post an image of three vintage Toledos, which comprise all of the currently known variants. From bottom to top, a 1932 (second year) 111T, an extremely uncommon short captop 111T from ca 1935 (currently there are just two known, although undoubtedly there are others out there) and a 1938 111NT in near mint condition. There may also exist a short captop 111NT but as yet none are known.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b77/rickp/ThreeToledos2_zpsc9ff8e82.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b77/rickp/threeToledos1_zps399e6502.jpg

where did you found them? :yikes:

• 6 months later...

Hi, I am a new member, though I have had my M700 since August 2004. The engraved number is 3/A30 C and rotated T.

I have posted all the other information on the Toledo topic forum.

When I bought the M700, the seller said it was from circa 1985. I was wondering if the number would say when it was actually made.

The previous owner said that he had never used it and neither have I. It's a shame really, but I use my set of blue striated 400 series. I have pen, pencil, ballpoint and rollerball.

I need as much information about the Toledo pen as possible as I will be selling it soon along with my other Pelikan pens and I would like to have all the relevant details to help in the sale.

Unfortunately, none of the children or grandchildren are remotely interested in any of my pens. Hence I will be selling them all. They are listed on my other post.

Any help would be great appreciated, particularly is there are any members in South Wales.

Many thanks

George

If anyone wants to get rid of the toledo let me know I would give it a good home - I would consider it a great gift.... :)

Nature is the one song of praise that never stops singing. - Richard Rohr

Poets don't draw. They unravel their handwriting and then tie it up again, but differently. - Jean Cocteau

Ο Θεός μ 'αγαπάς

Been looking on a famous auction site today. The Toledos now seem to be silly money, even the newer ones with the two-tone nibs and printed logo on the top cap. Mine is the early(ish) one with the plain gold nib and the engraved logo (with two chicks) on the top of the cap. Mine also has the W.GERMANY on the filler knob. The original owner had never used it and neither have I. Shame really to have a pen that I didn't even try out. It came with the wooden box and shiny black cardboard outer box. Unfortunately, I did not get the paperwork with it which apparently de-values it in the eyes of the perfectionists. Shame. As I bought it in 2004 on a famous auction site, I emailed the original owner to see if he had the paperwork. He remembers the pen but does not remember having any paperwork with it. The original owner dates it at circa 1985. He said that if the paperwork turns up he will let me know. I guess that with my luck, it will be lost forever.

Anyway, when I eventually get rid of my long-standing "man-flu" (a bad cold) I will get round to taking the pictures and will put it up for sale on the aforementioned auction site. I will also be selling my totally unused black M450, M650 and K650. I will also eventually be selling my 400 series ones. All blue striated. The pen, the rollerball, the ballpoint and the pencil. These are used regularly but still in beautiful condition.

It is a great shame that I need to sell these pens, but I just don't want them to end up in a car boot sale or thrown out by the children. The Children (oldest is 50) and Grandchildren are simply not interested in actually using old fashioned writing instruments when they can Email or text easier. They don't use "snail-mail" as it costs at least 50 pence to send a letter by second class. It's probably even more now.

Well, gotta go and take my alcohol-based Cold medicine now. I had some nice whisky (as opposed to whiskey) off Father Christmas. He must have known that I was suffering badly from the dread disease.

• 1 year later...

After patiently waiting for several years, I was able to get a M900 Pelikan Toledo (Old Style). One from 1991 first release and another unexpectedly landed my way - still old style but with ‘Germany’ instead of ‘W. Germany’. A couple questions:

1) How durable the binde is against tarnishing?

2) Would it be easy to get replacement ‘gold disc’ spare part and to replace it?

3) The second Toledo, has misalignment between the nib and the centre of the binde’s frame. Is this normal? I see that the nib can only be turned to one position, Any idea how to align the nib with the binde?

Glad to write with the pens. They are my daily writing companion.

After patiently waiting for several years, I was able to get a M900 Pelikan Toledo (Old Style). One from 1991 first release and another unexpectedly landed my way - still old style but with ‘Germany’ instead of ‘W. Germany’. A couple questions:

1) How durable the binde is against tarnishing?

2) Would it be easy to get replacement ‘gold disc’ spare part and to replace it?

3) The second Toledo, has misalignment between the nib and the centre of the binde’s frame. Is this normal? I see that the nib can only be turned to one position, Any idea how to align the nib with the binde?

Glad to write with the pens. They are my daily writing companion.

Congrats on the Toledos!

1) Pretty durable. I haven't had any issues personally. These do tarnish from time to time though from what I've seen. Makes you wonder if there is a coating to prevent tarnishing. A polishing cloth can be a bit aggressive and should be used sparingly. I would have no reservations about daily usage.

2) Not easy. The only way you could spares would be to cannabilize from another pen.

3) Not sure what you're getting at here. How is the nib supposed to align with the binde? My toledos all have different "alignments" with various sections the binde. No right or wrong. The nib really only screws in one way.

Hope that helps.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan