Should People With Lousy Handwriting Buy The Expensive Sailor Speciality Nibs ?

Patrick L

I understand that Sailor manufactures awesome special nibs like the Naginata Concord , Naginata Concord Emperor ,Nagahara King Eagle ,

but it seems that it's not easy to actually enjoy the full capacities of these nibs unless the writer has beautiful handwriting as well as dexterity.

So , my question is, will someone with ordinary or lousy handwriting (like myself for example) , not be wasting his money and time if he or she buys these expensive Sailor nibs ?

All the best

Patrick

http://www.nibs.com/www/WEBSITE%20PICS/Sailor%20Pens/Sailor%20Nibs/Nagahara%20King%20Eagle%20Emperor.jpg

http://www.nibs.com/www/WEBSITE%20PICS/Sailor%20Pens/Sailor%20Nibs/Nagahara%20King%20Cobra%20Emperor.jpg

Edited by Patrick L

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Zaphodbeeblebrox

• tinta

• TDL

• mhosea

Well, so long as you've got the money, there's nothing stopping you... ;)

But seriously, I'd go for it. Considering that you know the capabilities of the pen, it might convince you to improve your handwriting. Even if not, you'll still be writing with a great pen!

Buy whatever you like, for the reasons above. And how about this - set yourself a handwriting improvement goal (be easy on yourself) and reward yourself with the pen when you've achieved it. That way, you get both of the things you desire, and with strong motivation to improve.

Sincerely, beak.

God does not work in mysterious ways – he works in ways that are indistinguishable from his non-existence.

Perhaps the investment in a specialty nib would encourage you to improve your handwriting (if you want to, that is :)). Perhaps just having a beautiful nib is in itself a worthwhile improvement to your writing experience.

No reason why not. After all, lousy drivers buy Aston Martins.:D.

Your handwring can only improve.

Yesterday is history.

Tomorrow is a mystery.

Today is a gift.

That's why it's called the present

You obviously care about your handwriting. While an expensive nib is not going to change your handwriting, it may move you to slow down and become self correcting. When you become more and more deliberate, you may start writing more evenly. The key to good handwriting is, practice, practice, practice and adjusting your character form. Slow down and stop doing what you know is incorrect. I practice all the time, focusing on consistent letter height and letter spacing.

I say use whatever makes you happy…my handwriting's pretty terrible but I'm still fussy over my choice of nib/pen. In a way, using better equipment might encourage you to do better, knowing that it has more potential.

Your choice of nib will probably change the way you write, because of the way you handle the pen. Those changes might make you write in a way you like better.

I feel that having a fancy/expensive/fountain pen warrants an improvement in your handwriting. It doesn't have to be Spencerian or something like that, but just that such an instrument should be used for something greater than just chicken scratch. It's like building a $5000 ultra high-end gaming computer to do nothing but surf the internet and word. There's just so much more that you can do with something like that.

Edit: I have relearned cursive, just for writing letters with a FP, makes things more special.

Edited by professionaldilettante

The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of.

Blaise Pascal

fpn_1336709688__pen_01.jpg

Tell me about any of your new pens and help with fountain pen quality control research!

There's always something you'll enjoy in such exquisite nibs, even if your handwriting doesn't improve immediately.

Why should handwriting make a difference in whether you want to have a nice pen or not?

If that was the most important criteria, most users here on FPN would be writing with something cheap! (I would, at least... but I'm making a huge ASS out of myself by ASSuming that many individuals here consider their handwriting adequate, but not exceptional) :vbg:

After all, lousy drivers buy Aston Martins. :thumbup:

Y'know, you may find that if you're not happy writing with it, you may enjoy drawing.

Even if your handwriting doesn't improve with one of these nibs, maybe they will make bad handwriting more fun?

Don't you wish we could use our pens to write on the Fountain Pen Network Fora?

After all, lousy drivers buy Aston Martins. :thumbup:

Y'know, you may find that if you're not happy writing with it, you may enjoy drawing.

Even if your handwriting doesn't improve with one of these nibs, maybe they will make bad handwriting more fun?

And it's far less dangerous than driving the Aston Martin. Less dear, too...

Post Script

My hand writting is very bad and I like nice stub and italic nibs. They inspire me to work at improving my hand.

I recently wrote a thank you note to add to one of the Christmas cards we were sending out and my wife actually complimented me on how much my hand had improved.

Edited by KrazyIvan

While I fully support buying cool nibs if you have the money, aren't the sailor nibs in question somewhat specialized? For the OP, where do you want your handwriting to go? Are you enamored of Italic, Palmer, Spencerian, or another pretty style? I would answer that question first, and then choose a nib. Of course, I'll buy a Naginata Togi at some point, just because.

you know what? i am an owner of Sailor Susutake bamboo fountain pen that comes with Naginata Togi nib. i purchased the pen for esthetic reason alone but figured that with all of the positive feedbacks on the brand Sailor, the nib would be wonderful as well. yes, this is my very first Sailor but turned out to be one of my biggest disappointments in my many fountain pen purchases. i found the nib (MF) to be far from buttery smooth as it often skips and very dry. had it sent back to the seller for proper cleaning (the seller couldn't find any fault), but alas after it came back to me, the nib performed not much different. i am an owner of many fountain pens but by no means do i have a beautiful penmanship. i am not sure whether or not the poor performance of the nib resulted from the bad strokes of my hand. it may very well be. though i had great results with Nakaya and Pilot nibs. this experience puts me off from buying expensive pens online without first testing it. i wouldn't recommend anyone purchasing "specialized" nib online without experiencing the feel of it first hand.

-rudy-

Perhaps the investment in a specialty nib would encourage you to improve your handwriting (if you want to, that is :)). Perhaps just having a beautiful nib is in itself a worthwhile improvement to your writing experience.

^^^^ This. :thumbup:

• 3 weeks later...

My handwriting is nothing special, but the two cursive-italic nibs that John Mottishaw fashioned for two Nakaya's has made me much more aware of how big an impact the nib can have. 'may now find it impossible to buy a "standard" nib again. If you are tempted by the speciality nibs succumbs temptation.

The Answer to Life, The Universe and Everything? 42 or Good fountain pens and Ink?

I don't know about specialty nibs, but bladed-nibs (stub & C.I.) have given me a wider writing pad (a set of "training wheels", if you will). These nibs have somewhat improved my hand, to date.

As others have said, progress can be slow,....but just keep going,.....it'll get better.

I wouldn't consider my nibs "specialty" as such.

Just regular wide-grade Sailor MS nibs, reworked by nib technicians.

ed: for punctuation

Edited by tinta

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)

I got to try all the Sailors at the LA pen show last year. A fantastic experience. To me the joy of FPs is in the hand. My hand loved it!

I am not sure if a Cross Emperor Sailor would be good for my writing. Stubs and Italics are, definitely.

Hope to be at the show again this year to work on this issue some more.

Cheers,

“It’s better to light a candle than curse the darkness