Diamine Ancient Copper Compared

jandrese

Since these pages got all hot and bothered over the new Diamine ink color Ancient Copper I was jonesing for my own bottle. It arrived soon after the new year opened and I thought I could clear up something that bothered me about the previous reviews of this ink. Several reviews said Ancient Copper was similar to Sailor's Red-Brown (may it RIP), but at least on my monitors the photos did not look much like Sailor's Red-Brown to me. Indeed, I have comments on at least one thread saying Ancient Copper looked more like Mont Blanc Carlo Collodi to me. Despite the written claims that Ancient Copper looks like Sailor's Red-Brown nobody had actually shown them side by side, until now that is.

I present below three scans and three photos of the following inks on the following papers.

Inks:

Mont Blanc Carlo Collodi Brown

De Atramentis Copper Brown

Diamine Ancient Copper

Sailor's Red-Brown

De Atramentis Indigo Blue

Mont Blanc Ink of Joy

Papers:

Staples bagasse

AMPAP Gold Fiber (yellow)

HP Premium Choice Laser 24 lb

First, there is a smear of ink from a knife, then moving to the right is a swab from a Q-tip, and finally a writing sample from an actual nib.

Second, this was more difficult than I though to color correct. While I was most interested in comparing the red/brown/copper inks I thought additional colors might help the scanner and camera, hence the inclusion of Indigo Blue and Ink of Joy.

Third, I was surprised to observe a distinct red sheen from the De Atramentis Indigo Blue; there is obviously a separable red dye in this ink.

Fourth, orange inks do not get along with digital.

Fifth, the writing in black is Noodler's Dark Matter. I thought the scanner and camera would appreciate an absolute black reference as well. Pen for that was a Delta Titanio with fine (titanium) nib.

Anyway here are the pics with the scans first followed by the camera photos.

Scans

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG.jpg

Photos

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG.jpg

Close ups of the red sheen in the De Atramentis Indigo Blue, which incidentally does not show well from a fine nib in normal writing. The last three images were taken with a flash, which really accentuates the sheen effect.

_0017.JPG

DSC_9008.JPG

DSC_9009.JPG

DSC_9007.JPG

So.....what to conclude? First, I agree that Ancient Copper does resemble Sailors' Red-Brown, much more so than MB Carlo Collodi. Second, MB Carlo Collodi is the most unique color, and has the best writing qualities of the bunch. Third, De Atramentis Copper Brown has a surprisingly substantial pinkish tint. Fourth, De Atramentis Indigo Blue looks great as a swab but dries from a fine nib kind of flat and boring. Fifth, I still don't much care for MB Ink of Joy, Gandhi Saffron is much nicer. Sixth, paper makes a big difference. Staples bagasse can't be beat, I love it!

Hope you find this somewhat useful.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jandrese

• Bo Bo Olson

• owenj

• shaylenwilliams

Thank you for the excellent work. I'm anxiously awaiting a shipment of ink which includes Ancient Copper, and your scans/photos really do it justice. I use white paper primarily, and on that paper it appears on my screen that the Ancient Copper more closely resembles the Carlo Collodi. In any case, they're all quite nice, like Pelikan Brown with much more punch.

I have a bottle of Collodi. I've not done a test, just ran a couple of nibs through it...could by me be called Collodi red just as easy as Collodi brown.

I have not tested that ink yet.

I am learning exactly how much a paper can influence an individual ink and or some inks and not show that same kind of striking ink color change on others.

Using 120 and 170 gram Avery Zweckform, DA Copper Brown was completely different....not copper or red much at all.

It was in the 120 a dull flat brown in a Degussa easy full flex OM nib and the regular flex F also didn't show the coppery red color I am use too. The 170 was a paler shade of the same with both flexes showing tone differences of course.

Those two papers did major color changes with both other browns I had inked too. I just realized...did this new paper test today...that all my browns were made to be different than expected. DA Copper Brown, Lie de The` and Cafe` des Ilse.

Blues, blue-greens, gray and orange were not affected.

The DA Copper Brown is @ correct shade on other papers I have...but like I said I only did a bit of the Collodi and it was redder than what you show.

Nib width and flex make a difference as does the paper in ink tone and shade.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Very nice. This is actually the first review that makes me want to try the ink. I think it's the nicest looking ink, and the most interesting one, compared here.

I think it helps me to see it compared to an orange ink, because it doesn't look as orange as I had feared.

Many thanks for this - it's confirmed my suspicion that I really do have to get a bottle of the Ancient Copper .....

I chose my user name years ago - I have no links to BBS pens (other than owning one!)

Many thanks for this - it's confirmed my suspicion that I really do have to get a bottle of the Ancient Copper .....

The more I use Diamine inks, the more I am convinced that I could use only Diamine inks. I don't need to, of course, but for those members who have difficulty buying Noodler's because of their location, Diamine has some wonderful inks. A short list of my favorites are:

• Oxblood
  • Syrah
  • Chocolate Brown
  • Umber
  • Pumpkin
  • Ancient Copper

There are browns and violets that I really need from Noodlers et al. But if I were on a desert island, I could live with the list above.

Jeffery

In the Irish Channel of

New Orleans, LA

Very nice. This is actually the first review that makes me want to try the ink. I think it's the nicest looking ink, and the most interesting one, compared here.

I think it helps me to see it compared to an orange ink, because it doesn't look as orange as I had feared.

Yes, Ancient Copper is not orange at all really, it fits well into my extensive red ink lineup.

The more I use Diamine inks, the more I am convinced that I could use only Diamine inks. I don't need to, of course, but for those members who have difficulty buying Noodler's because of their location, Diamine has some wonderful inks. A short list of my favorites are:

• Oxblood
  • Syrah
  • Chocolate Brown
  • Umber
  • Pumpkin
  • Ancient Copper

There are browns and violets that I really need from Noodlers et al. But if I were on a desert island, I could live with the list above.

All good choices, and basically the same as I would choose. The only one I don't (yet) have is Pumpkin. I agree that Diamine are such good writing inks that one could easily live with them alone.

A short update. I am warming up to Ancient Copper, mostly because it shades so nicely. While still being lubricated and rich and all things that makes us love current Diamine inks, this ink is less saturated than say Oxblood. Hence the shading I guess. In case anyone cares Ancient Copper is in no way water proof, and is scantly water resistant.

I also have to recant about De Atramentis Indigo Blue. The red component in the ink is visible in even a fine line, but it does not so much form a sheen like in the ink smear/swab. That, I think is a nice and subtle touch, which improves my opinion of this ink. While it does not dry to as rich a color as I would prefer, it is far from washed out, or unpleasant. I'll be keeping this ink. It is not at all waterproof/resistant either.

I use white paper primarily, and on that paper it appears on my screen that the Ancient Copper more closely resembles the Carlo Collodi.

Agreed, on my screen I thought the Collodi & the Ancient Copper looked more alike. Love my Ancient Copper sample so much that a bottle may be coming in my next Goulet order.

~Jaime

(she/her)

I use white paper primarily, and on that paper it appears on my screen that the Ancient Copper more closely resembles the Carlo Collodi.

Agreed, on my screen I thought the Collodi & the Ancient Copper looked more alike. Love my Ancient Copper sample so much that a bottle may be coming in my next Goulet order.

It is possible, different screens etc. You may be surprised in person though. Do you have some Collodi or Red-Brown? I'm willing to share a sample.

Great job! Thank you!

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is possible, different screens etc. You may be surprised in person though. Do you have some Collodi or Red-Brown? I'm willing to share a sample.

Wow, thanks for the offer! However, I'm trying to get through all of my current ink samples (an unknown, large number, I went a little nuts) before getting any new ink :roflmho:

~Jaime

(she/her)

jandrese- Nice comparisons! Feel free to add those sheen shots to this thread: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/198510-inks-with-a-sheen/

"Be who you are and say what you feel; because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

The Poor Connoisseurs

That was really a wonderful and complete comparison. Lot's of work you put in....and it is appreciated to see those comparisons. :thumbup:

With the new FPN rules, now I REALLY don't know what to put in my signature.

• 2 years later...

Thank you very much for the compare shots, truly great to make a choice.

Ancient copper is on my list

Thanks for the review and the inks chosen. That is all very interesting . But -- and no harm meant -- IMO it is not wise to compare 6 different inks each with only a different pen. Use one pen/nib for each ink and you'll get completely different results (or maybe not). Repeating same on different papers -- like you did -- is always good!

Mike :)

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

• 4 weeks later...

When I go ape, I test @8 pens of various widths and flexes....on 4-5 papers, per new ink.

Lately I've only been doing 3 nibs, 3 papers.

But you had do many inks....you have enough nibs.

3 nibs per ink, say a F, M and or your italic would give you a bit more scope to the inks possibilities and limitations.

I find regular flex F and M often give good shading. Semi-flex can drown an shading ink....or make it wet.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.