Pay It Forward 2012

in the flow

I've got a 1930s Sheaffer Balance to give away. The pen does need to be restored (the filling mechanism no longer works), but it's in good condition otherwise, though it's a very small pen (only 10cm/4 inches long when capped). I would like for the pen to go to someone who intends to restore it for personal use. The pen looks very similar to

http://i45.tinypic.com/2r7vipx.jpg

(taken from http://www.rickconner.net/penspotters/sheaffer.balance.html), though without the white dot on the cap.

I also have a small bottle of shellac to give away, as well as a ink sac of 7mm or 1/4 inch diameter.

I'm willing to post anywhere, though I may use surface mail, depending on the cost. I'll choose someone around 48 hours from now, so 19:10 GMT on 13 November, give or take. :)

I've chosen a recipient for all three items. Thanks for all the PMs, and I'm sorry that I only had the single pen to give away!

http://i45.tinypic.com/2888qx1.jpg

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• alc3261

• zoniguana

• Chrissy

• mhguda

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Awl, somebody else got a great pen today, too!

Please check out my blog, datbookreviews, for all Fiction and Fantasy book reviews!

Now with Increasing Fountain Pen Related Posts!

Pelikan M200, Hero 608, Parker IM, Serwex 162, Manuscript Calligraphy Pen, Lamy Vista, Guanleming 956, Mabie Todd 200/60, Noodler's Konrad. Grail Pen: Yard-O-Led Viceroy Victorian.

Perhaps appropriate for Halloween, I received exactly 13 entrants for the PIF of the gold-plated steel Pelikan OM italic and M italic nibs. I got 7 entrants from the US, 4 entrants from Canada, and 2 entrants from Asia. I used www.random.org to randomly pick the winner.

The winner is Cyber6, from Canada. :clap1:

I'll send the package once I get Cyber6's mailing address.

Thanks to everyone for playing.

Will J.

OK.. I am FLABBERGASTED !!!

Will you are AWESOME...... Everyone else, please see the pic below.. this what I got in a very well packaged box.

1. The 3 italic nibs + an extra M nib

2. Pelikan 120 in extremely good condition

3. A "Schedule" Notepad.. amazing quality pad.

4. Very cute pen case (well padded to protect pen and nibs)

5. Not one... but TWO bouncing glow-in-the-dark EYEballs (they look like the glow in the dark type)

6. Hand written explicit instructions on the use of oblique nibs vs regular nibs. (BTW..the instructions were written with 5 different kind of inks.. all for my viewing pleasure... ) :thumbup:

This was better than Christmas morning... (maybe because I am jewish.. :roflmho: ...) .. I am really on cloud nine.. :cloud9:

Will ... If you need anything from Canada... I am YOUR MAN!!! (I mean.. woman.. :embarrassed_smile:)

I am going to try my best to top this PIF.. !!!!

Claudia

post-90085-0-26340400-1353099340.jpg

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

oh girl! these eye...balls are awesome... i got 2 that look like monster-eyes! Gratz for winning the package! :-)

So how zigackly does this PIF thing work?

"One's greatness is defined not only by their deeds, but also by the pen they carry."

My YouTube Channel: InkyJoys

Inky Meanderings: my pen, paper and ink blog

Best Non-FP user line ever: "Is that a calligraphy pen?"

I have this set, with one difference - when playing with the set I accidentally rendered one section + feed unusable. The nib itself is fine and can easily be exchanged. Just pull it out by hand. When reinserting pay attention to the space reserved for pushing in the nib (I didn't the first time, that's what cost me the feed - it broke off). So the broadest nib is loose in the set, and I've used one cartridge.

Other than that, the set is complete. PM me with a message why I should send it to you, and I will make a choice among requesters. I will ship all over the world. This offer is open until 1 december next.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41JmR%2BRWWyL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I bought this set locally (although I pilfered the image from Amazon) and tried it out - and found it's not for me. I already have a 1.1 italic nib in one pen, and I realize that's all I'd ever use of a set like this. Hopefully someone else will make better use of this.

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

So how zigackly does this PIF thing work?

If you have something you no longer need and would like to donate it to another FPN member, you just post it here. If there is something on offer that you are interested in, you PM (personal message) the donor.

Hope this helps!

http://i1027.photobucket.com/albums/y331/fuchsiaprincess/Fuchsiaprincess_0001.jpg http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/036/2/2/Narnia_Flag_by_Narnia14.gif

Thanks to some generous donations I've received, I have a surplus of funds so that I can offer 20 handmade felt fountain pen cases free of charge: international as well as domestic USA

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/530930_561087483908632_1704782244_n.jpg

Please consult my Facebook page if interested. You don't need a facebook account to view the page, as it is public. If you don't have an account and are prompted to create one when you click on the link, simply click the "close" button in the prompt box. Then continue to the "about" link under the cover photo for directions. This free offer is for one "standard" 2-pen case with a stitching color of your choosing.

Please do not send a PM - it is easier for me to manage orders via the email address posted on the page. Along with the information requested on the page, please include in your email the code ROUND1 if you would like your case for free, or you can provide a PayPal donation to cover the costs of shipping and materials (usually less than $5, even internationally.) Only orders from persons who use the code will be counted among the 20 from this round. There will be at least one other round of this offer later, given my current surplus of donated funds so don't be discouraged if you're not among the first 20. I will fill orders in the order that I receive them.

Assume no affiliation to recommendations.

http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc453/NoodlersCreaper/sig0001.jpg

Alternative Noodler's Ahab Nibs

"Free" Custom Fountain Pen Cases

I have this set, with one difference - when playing with the set I accidentally rendered one section + feed unusable. The nib itself is fine and can easily be exchanged. Just pull it out by hand. When reinserting pay attention to the space reserved for pushing in the nib (I didn't the first time, that's what cost me the feed - it broke off). So the broadest nib is loose in the set, and I've used one cartridge.

Other than that, the set is complete. PM me with a message why I should send it to you, and I will make a choice among requesters. I will ship all over the world. This offer is open until 1 december next.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41JmR%2BRWWyL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I bought this set locally (although I pilfered the image from Amazon) and tried it out - and found it's not for me. I already have a 1.1 italic nib in one pen, and I realize that's all I'd ever use of a set like this. Hopefully someone else will make better use of this.

The recipient has been chosen. Thanks to all who participated! It was my first PIF, and it was a good experience. More will follow... So, if you did not win, maybe better luck next time.

Thanks, and thanks FPN for giving this opportunity to keep good pens in good homes...

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

I've got a pair of Hero 322's that I'll send to anyone that can use 'em. They're very slender (VERY). One is Green/pearl, One is Butterscoth/Pearl. The Green one could use a little nib-tuning, if you're handy. The B'scotch has the 2nd fill of ink in it, the green has never been inked. They're just TOO slim for me. If you like 'em, keep 'em... or make a gift to someone else. Chinese F nibs on both. Can't figure out how to insert an image on here ?

I'd like to keep 'em in the US, if possible. Postage, ya' know ?

Take care, and PM me, if you're interested.

J.R.

The Hero's are being packed, for a trip to the left coast, where they'll be used and appreciated.

Thank ya'll, and early Merry Christmas !

There are still six spots open for round 1 of my case offer (see above). Entrants who provide all of the information (coupon code, mailing address, and stitching color) in their first email will be preferred as it makes it easier for me to manage, so make sure you put all of that information in your first email to secure your spot.

Currently accepted entrants are:

1 Adriana V

2 Tom M

3 Rudra R

4 Ylva N

5 Kevin F

6 Maggie K

7 Nick N

8 Gary L

9 Phil D

10 Indigo S

11 Catherine B

12 Enrique de la Flor

13 Robert M

14 Chrontius

Assume no affiliation to recommendations.

http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc453/NoodlersCreaper/sig0001.jpg

Alternative Noodler's Ahab Nibs

"Free" Custom Fountain Pen Cases

My Parker Frontier led a productive, if mediocre life. Sadly it died. Fortunately, it was signed up for the organ donation program, so now I offer for FREE a stainless steel Parker Frontier barrel!

You can use it replace your current barrel. If you have the plastic Frontier, this could be an upgrade. USA preferred for shipping reasons.

See attachment.

post-24581-0-31572500-1354756655.jpg

I trade postcards.

My Parker Frontier led a productive, if mediocre life. Sadly it died. Fortunately, it was signed up for the organ donation program, so now I offer for FREE a stainless steel Parker Frontier barrel!

You can use it replace your current barrel. If you have the plastic Frontier, this could be an upgrade. USA preferred for shipping reasons.

See attachment.

That is a sad looking pen my friend! lol hope someone finds a use for the barrel.

Hi, I have a homeless Frontier nib, so I would very much like the spare parts.

Don't you wish we could use our pens to write on the Fountain Pen Network Fora?

THIS PEN HAS FOUND A NEW HOME.

THANK YOU!!

A PIF For the Would-Be Tinkerer and Repairer

Noodler's Konrad Clear Demonstrator

I was reading this thread about a similar problem I am having with my Konrad demonstrator.

In short, it's a firehose in need of some patient attention -- the exact thing I'm often short of. :D

The fixes are in the linked thread and seem to be working well for those who actually try them. I've tried changing the nib position and reseating the nib and feed, but that didn't change anything, and that thread explains the probable reason why.

It's a little late to be returning it because I've had it since the summer, but after reading this thread I realized that I just don't have the patience or wherewithal to deal with it anymore. That, and -- *gasp* -- I really don't like piston fillers. Many people love 'em, but my own preference is for converters -- easier to fill, easier to clean, and I get to swap inks a lot more often because they don't hold as much ink.

So if you're a lover of piston-fillers, want some practice tinkering, are looking for a good beginner flex pen, or frankly just want the body for some good ol' Frankenpenning -- "It's alive! It's ALIVE!!!" -- this is the pen for you. It'll give you good practice at pen repair, and if you do get the feed/nib business sorted it's a popular flex writer, and an excellent choice for those new to flex because of the hardy stainless steel nib. All around it's a great pen, made of quality materials, if you can get the flow the way you want. I actually like the pen a lot! I just have no intention of messing with it further to get it to flow as it should.

This is the pen I'm offering (link to GouletPens). I still have the original box and package insert as well, so it'll come to you very close to new.

Please know that while the piston assembly is still good and lubed from the factory, at some point you're probably going to want to have some silicone grease on hand for regular maintenance. It doesn't come with the pen, but it's cheap and freely available should you ever need it to keep this pen working smoothly.

I'll keep the offer open for the next six hours or so, until midnight Eastern Standard Time, and the winner will be selected by random.org according to the order in which your PM was submitted. And of course I'll post here when it's closed. I will ship anywhere as long as it doesn't exceed $10 for the cheapest rate.

Thanks!

------------------------------------

Outcome of drawing:

I assigned every PM respondent a number in the order they came in (i.e. the third PM was #3, and so forth) and then used random.org to pick a number from the total number of entrants. The winning number was TWO.

Congratulations, Tripcode! :clap1:

I only wish I had pens to give to everyone who PM'd me -- they were all so nice. This is why I let random.org pick -- no way I could choose a winner and say no to so many nice people!

Thanks again everyone for helping my gushy Konrad find a new home. :D

Edited by Daisy

Not really a scribe, more of a Pharisee...

"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

-- Fourth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution

There are still six spots open for round 1 of my case offer (see above). Entrants who provide all of the information (coupon code, mailing address, and stitching color) in their first email will be preferred as it makes it easier for me to manage, so make sure you put all of that information in your first email to secure your spot.

Currently accepted entrants are:

1 Adriana V

2 Tom M

3 Rudra R

4 Ylva N

5 Kevin F

6 Maggie K

7 Nick N

8 Gary L

9 Phil D

10 Indigo S

11 Catherine B

12 Enrique de la Flor

13 Robert M

14 Chrontius

Thanks again for doing the cases PAR. I just got the box from Levenger with my sons engraved Truwriter and the case will be excellent for him to store it safely in.

Rob Maguire (Plse call me "M or Mags" like my friends do...)I use a Tablet, Apple Pencil and a fountain pen. Targas, Sailor, MB, Visconti, Aurora, vintage Parkers, all wonderful.

I am completely new to FPs and the site. I was just browsing this forum and was hoping someone would be able to tell me if it would be ... appropriate... for me to add my name to a pen or two when they come around. I don't have anything to really offer (or anything at all to offer actually, I only have one Sheaffer Nononsense) and wouldn't want to impose on anyone or overstep my bounds, seeing as I'm sure many people who are much more knowledgeable and deserving probably would make better recipients.