Pay It Forward 2012

in the flow

I think this is all getting a bit ill tempered (in general, not pointing at you Bruce or Liz).

I've given things - pens, cartridges for rare pens etc and I've never requested anything (I don't need to) and I've sent to Australia etc from the UK, so I think I can speak without being biased.

IMO what people find difficult is feeling excluded from everything (not just PIF) when people say "ships to CONUS only". Very many websites won't ship outside CONUS either.

I don't think it's people wanting "something for nothing".

+1 I think this too. The words as I remember without looking back through all of the posts were 'it sometimes rankles a little'. It now seems to have been blown out of all proportion.

I have benefited from PIF and I love the idea.

I'm trying to think of some of my own items that I can give away and PIF too. No-one wanted any International sized black ink cartridges so I will have to have a root around for other things.

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• alc3261

• zoniguana

• Chrissy

• mhguda

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think this is all getting a bit ill tempered (in general, not pointing at you Bruce or Liz).

I've given things - pens, cartridges for rare pens etc and I've never requested anything (I don't need to) and I've sent to Australia etc from the UK, so I think I can speak without being biased.

IMO what people find difficult is feeling excluded from everything (not just PIF) when people say "ships to CONUS only". Very many websites won't ship outside CONUS either.

I don't think it's people wanting "something for nothing".

+1 I think this too. The words as I remember without looking back through all of the posts were 'it sometimes rankles a little'. It now seems to have been blown out of all proportion.

I have benefited from PIF and I love the idea.

I'm trying to think of some of my own items that I can give away and PIF too. No-one wanted any International sized black ink cartridges so I will have to have a root around for other things.

I have bought packs of Chinese pens and am giving them away to encourage non-fountain pen users(or recent converts!!) to try them.

It isn't expensive to do, actually the major expense is the postage!!

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pinks-bottle_200x159.jpg

My Pen Wraps are for sale in my Etsy shop

I greatly appreciate the PIF folks. I'm a non-working, stay at home mother of three, on a very limited budget - if not for the generosity of the PIF people and my birthday once a year, I'd pretty much be pen & inkless! I've passed on some of the PIF goodies I've received to others around here, so that while I can't afford to finance a new hobby for anyone, requesting PIF items on behalf of other interested parties is how I've managed.

Hopefully things will pick up for me here soon and I can send my own 'extras' onwards to someone further down the chain :)

And on the CONUS debate - I personally (had I the monies) wouldn't care *too* much about international shipping. But do remember that you've got all that customs paperwork to deal with, declarations of value, extra padding, blahdiblah. The shipping costs themselves wouldn't deter me nearly as much as the customs form! :wacko:

Beware of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup!

I greatly appreciate the PIF folks. I'm a non-working, stay at home mother of three, on a very limited budget - if not for the generosity of the PIF people and my birthday once a year, I'd pretty much be pen & inkless! I've passed on some of the PIF goodies I've received to others around here, so that while I can't afford to finance a new hobby for anyone, requesting PIF items on behalf of other interested parties is how I've managed.

Hopefully things will pick up for me here soon and I can send my own 'extras' onwards to someone further down the chain :)

And on the CONUS debate - I personally (had I the monies) wouldn't care *too* much about international shipping. But do remember that you've got all that customs paperwork to deal with, declarations of value, extra padding, blahdiblah. The shipping costs themselves wouldn't deter me nearly as much as the customs form! :wacko:

The small customs sticker is very simple; you just mark it as a Gift because that's what it is, and think of a fairly low value because many of them are.

I received some free cartridges (not by PIF) that cost less than $4 to post from the US to the UK

I am really sad to see this wonderful opportunity provided here in FPN to PIF, degenerating into the situation we now see it in.

Perhaps one of the things to remember here is not everyone is comfortable admitting that finances may be an issue for them and so

they offer a PIF only in their country or to a specific continent. It is not an easy thing to ask for help especially in that area of concern

and while some may feel that is nonsense because we're only talking a "few" dollars, I would say to you, please walk a mile in the shoes

of someone on a fixed income.

There is no shame in offering a PIF with some limitations - (ie: only to students, to first time fountain pen owners, only Con US

etc.) PIF isn't about satisfying what people think it should be it's about what people want and are willing to give away freely.

My last offering was run for 2 1/2 days, not because I thought I had some great bargain to give away or because I wanted to make

people wait in suspense. It was let go that long so that anyone and everyone who wanted to apply had the "time" to do so, given

the time differences around the globe. Nor did I make this offer Internationally available based on any rhetoric that was here. It was

done that way because I was able to afford to offer it this time.

Please everyone remember these are gifts - people don't have to offer them. I like to be included just like the rest of you but the fact

remains, these giveaways are gifts and it is important not to belittle the giver because they can't give in the manner we think they should.

"Minds are like parachutes. They only function when open." James Dewar

http://i49.tinypic.com/2j26aaa.png

Alright, alright.

So, I suppose I need to get into this whole Pay it Forward thingamajig.

I'm offering 3 sample inks from the Goulet Pen Company that I received from Ink Drop. All of them are nearly full except the Ultra Green. I'll be filling that one to the brim of the vial from my Diamine bottle just for good measure. I'm getting rid of them cause I see no need in having more blacks, I already have enough blues, and I already bought Ultra Green. I LOVE that green. Just saying. Also included is a Sailor 1911S 14k M/F nib and a Benchmade 51 Balisong. :yikes:

Well, now that that got your attention, the 1911 and Benchmade 51 isn't really included. I'm not THAT nice of a person ;)

So yeah, only thing is I'd really like for it to be in the Continental US since I don't want to ship overseas. PM me if you wish to enter. I'll do a random drawing sometime tomorrow.

Cheers,

Tyler

Edited by TylerK

I am really sad to see this wonderful opportunity provided here in FPN to PIF, degenerating into the situation we now see it in.

Perhaps one of the things to remember here is not everyone is comfortable admitting that finances may be an issue for them and so

they offer a PIF only in their country or to a specific continent. It is not an easy thing to ask for help especially in that area of concern

and while some may feel that is nonsense because we're only talking a "few" dollars, I would say to you, please walk a mile in the shoes

of someone on a fixed income.

There is no shame in offering a PIF with some limitations - (ie: only to students, to first time fountain pen owners, only Con US

etc.) PIF isn't about satisfying what people think it should be it's about what people want and are willing to give away freely.

My last offering was run for 2 1/2 days, not because I thought I had some great bargain to give away or because I wanted to make

people wait in suspense. It was let go that long so that anyone and everyone who wanted to apply had the "time" to do so, given

the time differences around the globe. Nor did I make this offer Internationally available based on any rhetoric that was here. It was

done that way because I was able to afford to offer it this time.

Please everyone remember these are gifts - people don't have to offer them. I like to be included just like the rest of you but the fact

remains, these giveaways are gifts and it is important not to belittle the giver because they can't give in the manner we think they should.

Hear, hear! You said it better than I could have.

There are somethings about PIF that folks do not understand. This includes the shipping, you can not give something away with a free heart that you are not blessed back 100 fold. (I am not just talking about the good feeling you get from giving a PIF.) That is the beauty of PIF. It is something that one must learn. The only way to learn it is to do it. Though I have not done any PIFs here on this forum, I have done many on others. I normally choose someone who has no chance of getting the type of item I am PIFing in their country. (Here in the States we are blessed with so much.) Do not hold back with your PIF, not only are you keeping someone else from being blessed with your gift, you are keeping yourself back from being blessed as well. When you give a PIF start looking around, these simple gifts you give is coming back you in many ways. I gave a PIF at another forum not long back. ( I get a kick out of old camps stoves) Yesterday my wife came home with the very vintage camp stove I had be searching for.(for Free) Boom out of the blue. Another way to do the PIF for those in the States is when you are going through the drive through (out of the blue) pay for the folks behind you. PIF works! but you can only know that by putting it in practice. I have sent things all over the world in PIFs. Even if you can not afford it send it with a open heart. It will return to you and bless you in ways that will blow your mind.

Edited by pienaar

Do not let old pens lay around in a drawer, get them working and give them to a new fountain pen user.

There are somethings about PIF that folks do not understand. This includes the shipping, you can not give something away with a free heart that you are not blessed back 100 fold. (I am not just talking about the good feeling you get from giving a PIF.) That is the beauty of PIF. It is something that one must learn. The only way to learn it is to do it. Though I have not done any PIFs here on this forum, I have done many on others. I normally choose someone who has no chance of getting the type of item I am PIFing in their country. (Here in the States we are blessed with so much.) Do not hold back with your PIF, not only are you keeping someone else from being blessed with your gift, you are keeping yourself back from being blessed as well. When you give a PIF start looking around, these simple gifts you give is coming back you in many ways. I gave a PIF at another forum not long back. ( I get a kick out of old camps stoves) Yesterday my wife came home with the very vintage camp stove I had be searching for.(for Free) Boom out of the blue. Another way to do the PIF for those in the States is when you are going through the drive through (out of the blue) pay for the folks behind you. PIF works! but you can only know that by putting it in practice. I have sent things all over the world in PIFs. Even if you can not afford it send it with a open heart. It will return to you and bless you in ways that will blow your mind.

What a lovely, generous heart you have! It comes back in ways one least expects. It's a spirit of giving that has few conditions. My late father used to say, the more anonymous or without fanfare your donation (of money or goods) the more it counts. He never wanted his name on a plaque, unlike some of his wealthy friends. In the spirit of PIF, what you describe is exactly what I know it to be and how it works. You may only be blessed with a rainbow or something simple but if that lifts your mood, then it's done its job.

_________

Susi

from Sydney, then Byron Bay, now Gold Coast, Qld, Australia

What a lovely, generous heart you have! It comes back in ways one least expects. It's a spirit of giving that has few conditions. My late father used to say, the more anonymous or without fanfare your donation (of money or goods) the more it counts. He never wanted his name on a plaque, unlike some of his wealthy friends. In the spirit of PIF, what you describe is exactly what I know it to be and how it works. You may only be blessed with a rainbow or something simple but if that lifts your mood, then it's done its job.

"You may only be blessed with a rainbow or something simple but if that lifts your mood, then it's done its job." I have found most of the time it is so much more tangible then then the rainbow. (not that a rainbow at the right time can't be just what you need) If you are out of a job, the fastest way to get one is to live PIF. If you are short on finances PIF. You will be surprised at what rolls in. The real fun part is PIF you can put PIF to the test. And see for yourself if it works.

Do not let old pens lay around in a drawer, get them working and give them to a new fountain pen user.

You must be a pleasure to know with a heart as genorous as yours

I did a local PIF on a shooting forum,it had to be local since posting 8lbs of brass and lead isn't the easiest to do

You must be a pleasure to know with a heart as genorous as yours

I did a local PIF on a shooting forum,it had to be local since posting 8lbs of brass and lead isn't the easiest to do

I too am a shooter and a collector. Yes once shot brass and lead can be hard to send outside of the US as many countries sure do not like that type of thing coming in the mail. 8LBS can seem extreme to ship, but I bet it is cheaper then you would think. The last shooting PIF I took was a bunch of 8mm Mauser brass, but is was just under 4LBS. A shooting forum I used to be on had it setup that if you took a PIF you had to find something to PIF. That is where I learned about PIF.

Ok I will get off my PIF soap box and let you all go back to normal programing. ;)

I would like to offer a Black Lanbitou Pocket Missile Pen BUT I would like it to go to a Fountain Pen Newbie if possible. My link

It is a very small pen which fills from bottled ink only. I will also supply a small sample of Iroshizuku, Diamine or J.Herbin ink to go with it.

PM to request this pen and make choice of ink colour.

PS I'm not going to give the pen to the first (or second, or third) person who asks - I'm looking for you to tell me why you'd like the pen. Priority to Bronze Members!!

Same offer again except this time it is http://www.fountainp..._untitled_2.jpg

a Matt Black Jinhao Pocket Missile. Terms & Conditions as before!!

PS Do please note that this is a very tiny pen and it only holds a small amount of ink, it would not be suitable for students needing to take copious notes, nor do I think it would (in general) be suitable for men as it would be too small to be comfortable.

I have now selected a recipient. Thanks to those who replied.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pinks-bottle_200x159.jpg

My Pen Wraps are for sale in my Etsy shop

I received a sad and battered jiffy bag through the letterbox today which contained a box of Diamine Ink Cartridges that I had sent out to a PIF recipient at what was probably a student address and they moved before it could be delivered. The catch was that I sent the package in JUNE LAST YEAR so it has taken THIRTEEN months to make its way back to me.

With huge apologies to Mr (or Ms) L Y Lim in Acton, Canberra, I will now re-list these very well shaken and one year old Diamine Ink cartridges for re-offer...

===

TAKEN : BOX OF DIAMINE INTL SHORT CARTRIDGES

SHIP TO : WORLDWIDE

I have ONE full box containing 18 International Short Cartridges which Diamine have included in my most recent order. The box contains...

1x Mediterranean Blue

2x Prussian Blue

2x Umber

2x Monaco Red

2x Teal

2x Woodland Green

2x Passion Red

2x Majestic Blue

2x orange

1x Jet Black

The cartridges are unlabelled so you will have to employ a bit of logic and possibly a Magic 8-Ball to work out which is which.

I will ship this worldwide so if those of you in far-flung places would like to try some good British ink, please PM me and I will notify the lucky owner in a few hours subject to interest.

TAKEN : Many thanks to the folks who replied about the cartridges. I will reply individually to everyone shortly.

Edited by DanielCoffey

I have a simple Chinese pen that I like. I thought that someone else might get a kick out of it too. This is a Jinrong 610 it is high impact black plastic, with a hooded nib that is close to a western fine. I have smoothed the nib out on a finger nail buffer. It always writes, no skipping. It is sort of a tradesman's type fountain pen as it is not ornate at all. Really most people that see it dont have a clue it is a fountain pen. I will ship world wide. I will let this stay open through the weekend my time. Shoot me a PM if you would like it.

Here is the pen with a writing sample from it and a couple other pens so you can get an idea how it writes.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7106/7624871938_98c78ea2b4.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7274/7624871574_6284b6b100.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8287/7624871308_c880ba99e1.jpg

I have three Sheaffers up for grabs. (I would prefer that they go to three separate people though).

1 Green No Nonsense with medium nib

2 Black School pens with fine nib

Open to everyone, will ship to anywhere.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8428/7656679854_6b1185e6fc_n.jpg

PIF_Sheaffers by knitsterchelle, on Flickr

Esterbrook J (3), Hero 395 (2), Hero 616, Clipper Piston Filler (4), Lamy Safari (10), Markant 130, Ahab, Parker Parkette (3), Parker Vacumatic, Pilot 78G (2), Pilot Plumix (2), Platinum Preppy, Salz Bros Black and White, Waterman Ideal, Waterman Laureat (5), Waterman Kultur

Never tried PIF before so if I don't follow the protocol, it's because I don't know it.

I have a boxed bottle of Diamine Presidential Blue ink I will send anywhere in the 48 US States.

Please send me a personal message to my inbox with your name and address if interested. I will draw a name on Saturday at 11PM Eastern. The bottle will ship to the winner this upcoming week.

I will notify the winner Sunday morning, but I may not notify all of the others if the requests are massive. If you don't hear from me by Sunday around noon, it only means another name was drawn.

Good luck and thanks.

Edited by balanno

I have a 5ml vial of Iron Gal ink up for grabs. This is homemade IG ink, and as such is not safe for FPs, only to be used with dip pens. I will ship worldwide. All you have to do to enter for the draw is to send me any creative work (drawing, poem, essay ... anything) created by yourself, with pens/inks/writing as the subject (PM me please. Don't flood the forum). I will select an entry on Tuesday 31 July at 7pm KSA.

Neels

Lamy Al-Star F nib (the same in my signature)

http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m495/Caesaris/photo5.jpg

http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m495/Caesaris/photo6.jpg

I'll give it to anyone, as long as they are in the 48 states. I'm not in the States all the time, so I will leave for China on August 10th and not be back until early September. During that time I cannot ship.