Pay It Forward 2012

in the flow

Thanks for sharing that, wasn't aware. The nice thing is one of them was worldwide so we "foreigners" can also participate. The exclusion of people outside of the US and/or Canada is comprehensible from a cost to the giver point of view, but sometimes it rankles. It's not nice to be excluded based on where you live. I would even suggest to people to ask for some contribution towards the mailing cost, instead of excluding FPNers from other countries than your own.

I agree that it does. In actual fact 1st class international shipping isn't particularly expensive. It's definitely less expensive than any UK shipping to the US

Though I don't recall anyone in the CONUS complaining when a 'UK-only' PIF appears.

Let people who are giving pens away decide where they wish to ship and leave it at that.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• alc3261

• zoniguana

• Chrissy

• mhguda

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for sharing that, wasn't aware. The nice thing is one of them was worldwide so we "foreigners" can also participate. The exclusion of people outside of the US and/or Canada is comprehensible from a cost to the giver point of view, but sometimes it rankles. It's not nice to be excluded based on where you live. I would even suggest to people to ask for some contribution towards the mailing cost, instead of excluding FPNers from other countries than your own.

I agree that it does. In actual fact 1st class international shipping isn't particularly expensive. It's definitely less expensive than any UK shipping to the US

Though I don't recall anyone in the CONUS complaining when a 'UK-only' PIF appears.

Let people who are giving pens away decide where they wish to ship and leave it at that.

I agree.

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

I have ~ 1.5 bottles of a mixture of ink. It's very red. I took a bottle of Noodler's Dragon's Napalm, and mixed it with a bottle of Noodler's Red-Black, and then poured them back into the original bottles. I've used about a half bottle, before I decided it was too red for my tastes and wanted something darker (and ended up liking a couple of really dark greens, better).

I'm open to sending a sample vial or several, if you'd like, but, if anybody wants to claim the lot outright, I'll be happy to send that, as well. Just PM me and I'll get it wrapped and sent anywhere in the US.

I'll see if I can't get a small sample of the color up here later today, too...

Be forewarned... I will eye-bang the bejeezus out of your pens...
Never play leapfrog with a unicorn...

In 'mhguda's' defence I have been through the whole year and there were only 3 people in the UK who restricted their free item. One restricted it to the EU, and one was a heavy paper PIF.

I take your point that people should select their own terms though. Are they all aware that as an alternative they could ask for a contribution towards shipping costs if International shipping is too expensive for them?

I have ~ 1.5 bottles of a mixture of ink. It's very red. I took a bottle of Noodler's Dragon's Napalm, and mixed it with a bottle of Noodler's Red-Black, and then poured them back into the original bottles. I've used about a half bottle, before I decided it was too red for my tastes and wanted something darker (and ended up liking a couple of really dark greens, better).

I'm open to sending a sample vial or several, if you'd like, but, if anybody wants to claim the lot outright, I'll be happy to send that, as well. Just PM me and I'll get it wrapped and sent anywhere in the US.

Attached

Attached

Well, that was quick!

I'm now out of sample vials, and teh bottles are claimed, too...

Offering up as a PIF the following calligraphy set:

Manuscript Beginner's Calligraphy Set. Comes with three nibs, all of which can be removed and quite easily fitted into a Noodler's standard flex or standard piston-fill pen (as described in this thread HERE).

Opened, but never got around to using these since I realized the Noodler's pens were a bit too small for me.

The Manuscript Beginner’s 3 Nib Calligraphy set enables you to develop your skills and express your ideas through beautiful calligraphic designs. Set contains one dodec calligraphy fountain pen, 3 nibs, a converter for bottled ink and an instruction leaflet. Nib sections included are: Fine (0.85mm), Broad (1.35mm), and 2B (1.6mm).

http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o640/Federer21/IMG_0204.jpg

http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o640/Federer21/IMG_0202.jpg

Free to the Canada or the US - offer is open to international residents too, but will need $5 to cover shipping costs.

Open only to members still in school, university, college, etc. Message with your area of study, and what kind of difference you want to make in the world after you graduate. I'll choose randomly from the first five entries (or if less than five enter, from anyone who messages me by tomorrow at 4pm EST).

Enjoy!

I would like to offer a Black Lanbitou Pocket Missile Pen BUT I would like it to go to a Fountain Pen Newbie if possible. My link

It is a very small pen which fills from bottled ink only. I will also supply a small sample of Iroshizuku, Diamine or J.Herbin ink to go with it.

PM to request this pen and make choice of ink colour.

PS I'm not going to give the pen to the first (or second, or third) person who asks - I'm looking for you to tell me why you'd like the pen. Priority to Bronze Members!!

Same offer again except this time it is http://www.fountainp..._untitled_2.jpg

a Matt Black Jinhao Pocket Missile. Terms & Conditions as before!!

PS Do please note that this is a very tiny pen and it only holds a small amount of ink, it would not be suitable for students needing to take copious notes, nor do I think it would (in general) be suitable for men as it would be too small to be comfortable.

Edited by alc3261

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pinks-bottle_200x159.jpg

My Pen Wraps are for sale in my Etsy shop

I agree.

I only saw this just now, and I want to briefly come back to this. I made my point about excluding people not in one's own country mostly because it so happens I am in a country few people here have even heard of - as soon as shipping (and it's not only PIF, it's classifieds also, where I would basically buy something and pay for shipping, but often those from outside CONUS need not apply) is not worldwide, I know I am excluded from participating. I don't find it strange that nobody in CONUS complains when there is something UK-only or EU-only - those are few and far between, and there are enough CONUS only to more than compensate. I am in the small Caribbean country of Curaçao, and when people are being excluded based on location I am always one of the excluded ones. As I said, sometimes it is a bit discouraging. And I like the PIF idea so much, I would prefer being asked for a contribution to pay shipping costs over being excluded as a matter of course. And since this is such a thoughtful community, I thought I'd bring it up -maybe people just had not considered how it would be experienced. After I brought this up, I did notice a lot of specific mentions of being willing to ship worldwide, which I appreciate a lot. So I think the point was taken as it was intended.

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

I agree.

I only saw this just now, and I want to briefly come back to this. I made my point about excluding people not in one's own country mostly because it so happens I am in a country few people here have even heard of - as soon as shipping (and it's not only PIF, it's classifieds also, where I would basically buy something and pay for shipping, but often those from outside CONUS need not apply) is not worldwide, I know I am excluded from participating. I don't find it strange that nobody in CONUS complains when there is something UK-only or EU-only - those are few and far between, and there are enough CONUS only to more than compensate. I am in the small Caribbean country of Curaçao, and when people are being excluded based on location I am always one of the excluded ones. As I said, sometimes it is a bit discouraging. And I like the PIF idea so much, I would prefer being asked for a contribution to pay shipping costs over being excluded as a matter of course. And since this is such a thoughtful community, I thought I'd bring it up -maybe people just had not considered how it would be experienced. After I brought this up, I did notice a lot of specific mentions of being willing to ship worldwide, which I appreciate a lot. So I think the point was taken as it was intended.

I do quite agree with this point, a lot of PIF is CONUS only and the rest of the FPN Community is excluded. I think an expectation of a contribution towards shipping would be much fairer. *My PIF has Worldwide availability and I did send my last one overseas.

Congrats to Nova42 on winning the Manuscript Calligraphy set! :thumbup: FPN has its own resident future Nobel laureate in biomedical research.

People are genuinely whining here because they don't like HOW (CONUS vs worldwide) Other People are *giving away* their PIF items?

Surely you can't be serious.

Then you're REALLY not going to like hearing that everyone who has That Much Gall have now PERMANENTLY Excluded YourOwnSelf from any future PIF I myself might have.

There.

"Problem" solved.

Bruce in Ocala, FL

I am beginning to feel that Pay it Forward is losing it's way.

I always thought and believed that to "Pay it Foward," was to give away without conditions as a true gift. However, a lot of these posts seem to be more of a game or contest. Who can jump through enough hoops, who can write the best reason why they "Deserve," something. Who needs something the most. I'll give it away only if you live here, or are new, or are X Y or Z, for example.

For me, that is taking away from the ideal of what Pay it Foward means. To put so many conditions and requirements on it makes it seem almost tawdry to me, taking away from the joy of giving and receiving.

Edit:the pen has been claimed. Thanks!

That said, this morning, I am offering a Jinhao that I bought but only filled once. For me, the pen is just too heavy to write with being solid metal. It has a nice medium nib.

http://i.imgur.com/5Hi7G.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/vwVD1.jpg

This is for anyone who wants it, no questions asked (other than your address.) :P

Edited by liz4tin

Thanks for holding up a mirror so that I could more clearly recognized what is happening.

Your comments reminded me of the book, "The Prophet" by Khalil Gibran and specifically what he wrote about giving.

Thank you for the clear reminder of all the abundance I have in my life.

Sid

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

Well, that was quick!

I'm now out of sample vials, and teh bottles are claimed, too...

Awrighty; those of you who claimed the bits before I ran out of bits to claim, the bits are on their way to you!

I certainly do not mean to disparage Liz's post nor the manner in which she prefers to PIF her items, this is just a view from across the fence. ;)

IMO, the way PIFing here Most Quickly loses it's way is with the PIF vultures who subscribe to the topic and thusly, as soon as they get the notification they have a new email, can swoop, screeching out of the clouds to pounce on the still warm fresh meat of a new free pen (item)...

That's what *I* don't see any fun in.

I much prefer to figure out some way to PIF that is not only fun or humorous but also gives everyone an equal chance (and by the way, I usually don't specify CONUS only for anything) and is hopefully a little more interesting than, "sure, you got here first, what's your address?". It's even better to me if you can skillfully "craft" the PIF such that the item goes to the person who "it will work best for".

Bruce in Ocala, FL

People are genuinely whining here because they don't like HOW (CONUS vs worldwide) Other People are *giving away* their PIF items?

Surely you can't be serious.

Then you're REALLY not going to like hearing that everyone who has That Much Gall have now PERMANENTLY Excluded YourOwnSelf from any future PIF I myself might have.

There.

"Problem" solved.

Bruce in Ocala, FL

Sounds awfully mean spirited. Please exclude me from your PIFs too.

As a general comment: Pay it Forward, in the true spirit of the concept isn't: competition, contest, winning a prize, incredibly selective or anything like that. Why not start a new thread that falls in line with those concepts and leave Pay it Forward as what many of us understand it to be? Maybe that would solve a few problems that seem to be appearing here. If shipping cost is a problem then why not recipient and giver go halves if appropriate?

_________

Susi

from Sydney, then Byron Bay, now Gold Coast, Qld, Australia

I understand how you feel about the vultures, Bruce. I try to give everyone the benefit of the doubt. If they are greedy then that karma is on them.

I don't want to be that person who questions everyone's motive because of a few.

I certainly do not mean to disparage Liz's post nor the manner in which she prefers to PIF her items, this is just a view from across the fence. ;)

IMO, the way PIFing here Most Quickly loses it's way is with the PIF vultures who subscribe to the topic and thusly, as soon as they get the notification they have a new email, can swoop, screeching out of the clouds to pounce on the still warm fresh meat of a new free pen (item)...

That's what *I* don't see any fun in.

I much prefer to figure out some way to PIF that is not only fun or humorous but also gives everyone an equal chance (and by the way, I usually don't specify CONUS only for anything) and is hopefully a little more interesting than, "sure, you got here first, what's your address?". It's even better to me if you can skillfully "craft" the PIF such that the item goes to the person who "it will work best for".

Bruce in Ocala, FL

I think this is all getting a bit ill tempered (in general, not pointing at you Bruce or Liz).

I've given things - pens, cartridges for rare pens etc and I've never requested anything (I don't need to) and I've sent to Australia etc from the UK, so I think I can speak without being biased.

IMO what people find difficult is feeling excluded from everything (not just PIF) when people say "ships to CONUS only". Very many websites won't ship outside CONUS either.

I don't think it's people wanting "something for nothing".

Edited by alc3261