Pelikan Souveran Demonstrator M1005

Sidestreaker

Shortly after obtaining my M1000 (black), I can’t seem to get enough of the excellent writing quality and experienced offered by this flagship model. The semi flexible nib, the built quality and the smoothness of the piston filler makes is up there along with many other great models such as MB149, and some would say even better.

I knew that eventually I will be finding and excuse to obtain another of the same model. Perhaps with a different barrel design, nib size etc. Before I know it, I found myself back in the same shop, PenGallery and greeted by the same smiley salesperson who was ready to take out any pen for testing. I then noticed that the M1005 was available and was informed that the only available nib at the moment was F nib. I was already very much in loved with the F nib on my M1000 and surely would not mind another one (I’ve tried other sizes , EF, M and B and doesn’t quite agree with them, it’s a personal choice, really).

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv272/sidestreaker/Writing%20Instruments/PC319451.jpg

I’ve seen all the pictures available on the internet, and I can say it looks much better in flesh. I must say it is pleasantly delightful to experience the flagship pen as demonstrator, it feels like a totally different pen and yet has all the great characteristic of this fine writing instrument. In fact, in some view, it is an even better instrument. The nibs of the same size seems smoother, with silver trims (which I love) and the details are sharper, not to mention the wonder of seeing all the innards and observing how it works. Maybe it’s my imagination, but I was convinced to have this as my second 1000 series.

(Note that this review is built on some of the similar points of my previous review of the M1000, just some adjustment to address to the demonstrator’s quality)

First Impression

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv272/sidestreaker/Writing%20Instruments/PC319455.jpg

The Pelikan M1005 comes in what would be regarded as a the new style of packaging Pelikan pens, but with a cut out clear window, in spirit of the demonstrator. It’s a simple and modest packaging and serves it purpose to give adequate protection to the writing instrument. Inside, the pen is strapped with a transparent plastic strip that secures it to the soft base. Sponges are added in to provide extra protection from lateral impact. Seems like a lot of effort to keep it in one piece. Let’s see if the instrument is equally well put together.

Appearance and Design 8.5/10

First of all, let me start by saying I am not a fan of demonstrators. The impressive looks and feel of the M1005 is enough to change that. Well, there you go.

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv272/sidestreaker/Writing%20Instruments/PC319421.jpg

Take an elegant, understated but relatively boring(IMO) and plain looking pen such as the M1000 and turn it into a demonstrator, instantly you have a rather impressive looking writing instrument. Believe me when I say it is several notches above the current M1000 model; by a lot!. It looks like an entirely different pen but very familiar and similar in feel.

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv272/sidestreaker/Writing%20Instruments/PC319428.jpg

Pelikan nibs though are some of the better writing ones in the market but they are certainly not one of the better looking ones, at least in my opinion. However, a monotone nib of the M1005 looks so much better. After all, I am a fan of silver trims, rhodium or palladium plating. The clear acrylic and silver appearance-plating gives emphasis on its basic form, and provide the opportunity to appreciate the functionality as an aesthetic of its own.

Construction and Quality 9.0/10

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv272/sidestreaker/Writing%20Instruments/PC319448.jpg

One of the better built pens around. I can’t help but comparing it to the Montblanc 149 and I can agree to most opinion that the M1000 feels a bit more solid compared to the 149. The cap screws in tight in about 1 turn, quick and ready for action. The joints and details are simple and built to last. The whole pen feels tight and well constructed.

Weight and Dimension 8.0/10

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv272/sidestreaker/Writing%20Instruments/PC319443.jpg

I generally have no issues with light or heavy pens as I’m rather flexible in adjusting to different pen size and weight. With the brass parts and its sheer size, though heavier than most pens, I find it rather comfortable to write with. Weight distribution is a little bit towards the piston knob due to the brass components, and for a pen this size, generally it will be more comfortable without the cap being posted on. It is a rather large pen and may not sit well on a shirt pocket due to the weight and size. I would normally keep my pens in cases so, that’s not really an issue for me.

Nib Performance 9.0/10 (Fine)

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv272/sidestreaker/Writing%20Instruments/PC319438.jpg

Unlike the standard M1000, where I’ve experienced a lot of problems while testing, the nibs of the M1005 seems perfect OOTB, at least the ones that I have tested. Perhaps the production line for this special edition has extra attention in quality control. This is where it brings the score higher than the standard M1000 production nibs with its higher reliability. As far as performance goes it is one of the best I’ve used so far

I have not much experience with flexible nibs and I’ve learnt that this may not be a true flex after all, but to have a nib that can yield to some pressure does gives a whole new writing experience. Without much pressure, it writes just like any other modern stiff nibs but a little pressure applied on it gives it nice variation and add interest to my writing. It does have a little feedback which is what I’m looking for and does not glide too effortlessly, like my other F nib on the 149.

Filing System and Mechanism 8.0/10

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv272/sidestreaker/Writing%20Instruments/PC319439.jpg

The piston filling mechanism is smooth but not as smooth as the standard Pelikan. There’s some minor squeaking noise when turning the piston knob, as if scrubbing on clean clear glass. Nonetheless, the mechanism still functions well and it’s great to see reservoir of the pen being filled up. Cleaning is easy and particularly for a demonstrator, it is crucial to have the writing block removable to clean out all the parts thoroughly.

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv272/sidestreaker/Writing%20Instruments/PC309415.jpg

Cost and Value 7.5/10

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv272/sidestreaker/Writing%20Instruments/PC319433.jpg

There is a premium over the standard M1000 as this is a special edition after all. The M1005 is still at a very good value with a 3 years of warrantee and 4 weeks of nib exchange program. Pelikan service seems to have a good reputation, so there’s some reassurance there of after sales service.

I was really contemplating over the price tag as it almost double the price of a regular M1000, for aesthetics. Then again, when compared to other brands and range, the M1000 is one of the best value flagship pens around to begin with. Adding a little more to something that gives value and delight seems to worth the extra cost in my opinion.

Conclusion 8.33/10

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv272/sidestreaker/Writing%20Instruments/PC319435.jpg

In summary when compared to the standard M1000, it is better in almost every aspects in terms of looks and appearance as well as nib quality but somehow it does not have a piston smoothness as the regular M1000. Not to mention the higher price tag on something that has the same functionality as the regular ones may be a deterrent. It may be contributed by the additional manufacturing process that translates into the production cost (but then again Sailor managed to keep their demonstrator and regular pens the same price, hmm). Nonetheless, this is a one time release from Pelikan that should not be overlooked and certainly noteworthy to be in any serious pen collection.

Thank you again for reading, oh and Happy New Year 2012!

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv272/sidestreaker/Writing%20Instruments/PC309397.jpg

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv272/sidestreaker/Writing%20Instruments/PC309405.jpg

My link

Life is like Chinatown signage, its cluttering, confusing but everything that you need is there, just have to look harder....

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv272/sidestreaker/lifestyle/logo.jpg

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sidestreaker

• camoandconcrete

• breaker

• arran

Thanks for an excellent review!! I think I'll drop by PenGallery someday. I've only been to K.S. Gills so far. :thumbup:

-Paul

Another great review I must say! This particular model is on my "want list" some time soon enough.

Enjoy!

See with what large letters I have written you with my own hand. GaVIxi

The pen is the interpreter of the soul: what one thinks, the other expresses. (MdC)

Fantastic review which I really enjoyed, as I would love to have one of these Pelikan demonstrator pens of their flagship pen. But as I collect sterling silver fountain pens mostly, and it's price is quite steep I have not yet reached a decision to purchase, What intrigued me is that you have found the nib on the demonstrator M1005 is better than the ones on the other Pelikan flagship pens, as I would have imagined that the nibs are all from the same supplier. Could it be that it is just a question of luck, as each nib may have different characteristics and settings?

Thanks for an excellent review!! I think I'll drop by PenGallery someday. I've only been to K.S. Gills so far. :thumbup:

Thanks! KS Gill is one of those pre-war shops with many layers of history behind it. Though I have yet to purchase anything major from them, I'm sure Mr.Singh there has some secret vintage stash somewhere in the back of their shop for their favorite customers. I've yet the chance to warm up to him yet, :roflmho:

Nice pen, thanks for sharing. The only M1000 that I want.

Cheers, that's what I thought when I got my first M1000...

Another great review I must say! This particular model is on my "want list" some time soon enough.Enjoy!

Thank you again!

Fantastic review which I really enjoyed, as I would love to have one of these Pelikan demonstrator pens of their flagship pen. But as I collect sterling silver fountain pens mostly, and it's price is quite steep I have not yet reached a decision to purchase, What intrigued me is that you have found the nib on the demonstrator M1005 is better than the ones on the other Pelikan flagship pens, as I would have imagined that the nibs are all from the same supplier. Could it be that it is just a question of luck, as each nib may have different characteristics and settings?

Thanks. What I've shared here is really just my personal experience and to be honest, I've only tested the M1005 in one location, whereas I've tested the standard M1000 in various shops. Perhaps I have been lucky to come across that few good nibs for M1005. However, I've observed that there have been various posting and thread here that seem to confirm that M1005 OOTB nibs write very well. Perhaps that this could be an indication that the chance of getting a better nib is higher with the demonstrator? I suppose of the opportunity to visit a B&M shop to test the nibs is the best way to be sure.

My link

Life is like Chinatown signage, its cluttering, confusing but everything that you need is there, just have to look harder....

Thanks for the great review and nice images.For you a Happy New Year 2012 as well.Sascha

Cheers Sascha!

My link

Really nice review, and the pictures are great. I own a 1005 and your comments are spot on. I originally got a F nib, but found it still too broad for my tastes, and exchanged it for an EF, which writes flawlessly.

Thanks!

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv272/sidestreaker/Writing%20Instruments/P1000585.jpg

Using it now at work, with the huge capacity, I've been using this throughout the week! I've noticed also that the nib is a bit 'toothy' on some paper, particularly drawing papers that I tend to write on a lot, which is kind of nice with that slight feedback - flow is consistently wet with the MB Irish Green here.

So far, there have not been much condensation or staining on the cap. I do keep my pens in pouches but in my backpack, it tends to be flung around.

My link

I inked my M1005 up for a few days with J. Herbin Ambre de Birmanie and it was really tricky to to remove all the ink. Still trying to figure out what inks work best with these demonstrators :) any suggestions?

What a great looking pen. I don't own any demonstrators, but this has really inspired me to add one to my collection. Thanks for sharing.

Great review! Is it really made of acrylic? (or polycarbonate?) I have the impression that the Pelikan Demo pens are more fragile than the regular acrylic black resin. I own a M205 Clear Demo whose cap has broken/ cracked close to the crown. Not a huge crack, just a cosmetic issue. It has fallen on the wood floor from about 1metre. Only the cap has fallen. I have a lot of Pelikans from M2xx to M1000 (I dont have the M1005, though) and I've never saw something like that. Other caps have fallen with no problems or cracks. I supose that the clear demo resin (at least the M205) is not the same as the black acrylic one, which is more sturdy in my opinion. However, I've never seen a M1005 "in person", but on the pics it seems very, very well made. Has anyone noticed something like that?

I inked my M1005 up for a few days with J. Herbin Ambre de Birmanie and it was really tricky to to remove all the ink. Still trying to figure out what inks work best with these demonstrators :) any suggestions?

I've not use that particular ink before but I do recall reading in other threads that orange and bright colors inks tend to 'stain' demonstrator pens more than the other 'normal' colours. I suppose more soaking might help with removing those ink particles. Part of the fun of owning a demonstrator I suppose :).

What a great looking pen. I don't own any demonstrators, but this has really inspired me to add one to my collection. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers, I was not a fan of this demonstrator myself, till I've seen and feel the pen in person.

Great review! Is it really made of acrylic? (or polycarbonate?) I have the impression that the Pelikan Demo pens are more fragile than the regular acrylic black resin. I own a M205 Clear Demo whose cap has broken/ cracked close to the crown. Not a huge crack, just a cosmetic issue. It has fallen on the wood floor from about 1metre. Only the cap has fallen. I have a lot of Pelikans from M2xx to M1000 (I dont have the M1005, though) and I've never saw something like that. Other caps have fallen with no problems or cracks. I supose that the clear demo resin (at least the M205) is not the same as the black acrylic one, which is more sturdy in my opinion. However, I've never seen a M1005 "in person", but on the pics it seems very, very well made. Has anyone noticed something like that?

Thank you. I was trying to trace the source on the material used for this pen, and it was mentioned as acrylic or resin (not official info but if anyone knows for sure, please correct me). For some reason I hope it is not polycarbonate, though it may be more durable, but over time it may discolour and scratches easily.

I suppose it is true that a demonstrator will display cracks and defects much more apparent when compared to the standard opaque resin bodies. However, in this case the feel and construction of the pen feels very sturdy. Though I've not the courage to test drop it like one of those TWSBI videos, I am happy enough with the quality feel and hope to exercise enough care to avoid any mishap.

Beautiful pen, thanks for the photos.

Cheers, thank you for reading!

My link

congrats on a stunning pen :thumbup:

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

This is a beautiful pen. Too bad Pelikan does not do the M800 or M600 the same way. M1000 is definitively too big a pen for my hand :(

Y

<b>In my hands</b>: Waterman, MontBlanc, Stipula, Visconti, Graf von Faber-Castell, Pelikan, Delta, Aurora, Omas, S.T.Dupont, Montegrappa, OnLine, Parker, Pilot, Favero, and... <i>a few goose feather quills</i>.

• 4 months later...

This is a beautiful pen. Too bad Pelikan does not do the M800 or M600 the same way. M1000 is definitively too big a pen for my hand :(

Y

I was able to test this pen recently with a F nib.

Overall impression was very good. I have been writing with the pen about 20 minutes , just dipping in the MB royal blue ink. The ink flow was quite wetty.

Once the pen was filled completely , I observed that the wettiness remained and gave too much ink ,I had the impression that it was more a medium pen.

What disturbed me most was that the penn skipped quite a lot.

In the end I did not buy the pen and asked for a replacement nib in extra fine. I hope it won't skip anymore.

Price was indicated 580 €

• 1 year later...

Nice review! I've been seriously thinking about getting a Pelikan demonstrator lately. The demonstrators seem like the perfect pen for drawing.