Returning To Fps, Anything I Need To Know About A Vanishing Point?

memphislawyer

Dave, Im not worried about legal documents. If a court pleading got wet, well, it would be in the courthouse and there would be more issues. I want more for me, than anything, and being able to tell the difference between a nice vibrant blue ink and photocopies.

Now, is the 20 the same one it comes with usually, or is that the 50? Some of the converters I see on ebay seem like they are clear. Is one preferred over the other?

I have the black VP with medium nib from Richard Binder. As adjusted by Richard, it is close to a true Western Medium.

Richard Binder sells nibs only, if you later decide you would like something different. The stock nib is a round nib without variation but a good all purpose nib. If you want an impressive signature, line variation is nice. I find the line variation distracting if I want to read my cold notes. But that's just me.

Pilot blue ink is on the light side of a medium blue. I find it feathers a bit on really cheap paper (as often provided by the court on their forms) but it is water resistant. You never know when opposing counsel will tip over a cup of water at the counsel table. However, it is available in bottled ink or cartridge which would give you a bit more capacity for a longer hearing.

I have been using Herbin Bleu Nuit which is a nice conservative blue. It rarely feathers except on the worst paper.

Visconti Blue is a bit brighter and a tiny bit more likely to feather.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• memphislawyer

• 1point1mm

• rdh

• tanalasta

Richard Binder sells nibs only, if you later decide you would like something different.

He does sell nib only, body only, and both with nib and body fountain pen. Customer preference. thumbup.gif

See with what large letters I have written you with my own hand. GaVIxi

The pen is the interpreter of the soul: what one thinks, the other expresses. (MdC)

I got the Matte VP with a medium nib, and Mr. Binder shows it is somewhere between a Fine and a Medium in say a Pelikan, so I am fine with that.

I got two free bottles of ink and chose Diamine Majestic Blue, and second choice being Private Reserve Electric DC Blue if they are out of 1st choice. Got a package of Pilot Blue Cartridges in case I want to fill those instead of the converter the pen comes with.

I got the Matte VP with a medium nib, and Mr. Binder shows it is somewhere between a Fine and a Medium in say a Pelikan, so I am fine with that.

I got two free bottles of ink and chose Diamine Majestic Blue, and second choice being Private Reserve Electric DC Blue if they are out of 1st choice. Got a package of Pilot Blue Cartridges in case I want to fill those instead of the converter the pen comes with.

Let us know how it works out for you.

My "B" Nib arrived today and here it is.

http://i987.photobucket.com/albums/ae360/chc_hmc/NamikiVPBroadNibWritingSample.jpg

http://i987.photobucket.com/albums/ae360/chc_hmc/NamikiVPNibs.jpg

http://i987.photobucket.com/albums/ae360/chc_hmc/NamikiVPNibs_ii.jpg

See with what large letters I have written you with my own hand. GaVIxi

The pen is the interpreter of the soul: what one thinks, the other expresses. (MdC)

• 2 weeks later...

I liked the idea of the Vanishing Point and got it on Saturday. Black matte is a really cool looking option and feels great in the hand. The clip is not an issue with the way I hold the pen. Not as heavy as some pens, and not lightweight either. For the quick note, bank deposit, signing a letter, it seems just right for me. The medium nib, to me, is finer than the regular mediums when I had written with a Visconti or Montblanc. Not too wet either, but you do get the vibrancy of the ink which I was afraid would be missing if I had gotten the fine nib.

Some had written that the pen nib is squeaky and yes, mine was, for like 5 minutes. After that, buttery smooth. The pen tends to try out if you leave the nib exposed for five minutes without retracting it, but other than the first letter of the next work you write, it is back to normal. This could and does happen with any regular fountain pen you uncap. In church this morning, taking notes, I just left it exposed rather than click it closed and then open again. No big deal and it was handy when I had to write a note quickly to call someone, just take it out of the shirt pocket, click, write, and click and replace. I can see why this pen is recommended for busy people who take notes in short bursts.

I am using Diamine Majestic Blue and so far, I like it. A darker blue for sure, but most appropriate for court documents and letters. I have a black ballpoint but to be honest, with some copiers, like mine, I am hardpressed to tell the difference between the original and a copy. Court clerks have asked me to switch to blue ink for the originals, and they are just repeating what the local judges say. I only have one document, a divorce certificate, that I fill out that REQUIRES black ink.

I am not affiliated with Todd Nussbaum, owner of isellpens.com, but that is where I got my pen. Two free bottles of ink, superfast Fed Ex shipping, and one, if not the, lowest prices for the black matte edition. Fine fellow, great website.

Yay! Welcome back to fountain pens! The Vanishing Point is indeed a handy pen. I keep mine inked with Pilot Blue-black cartridges (because they are so convenient!) and end up using it daily for quick notes. It's not my favorite pen for long writing sessions, but for short bursts (note-taking) or situations where I need to pause a lot (lectures or meetings), it is invaluable.

I have the Fermo, and cause it's slightly longer, I don't mind it for longer writing sessions. It's very handy, and I too keep mine fed with Pilot Blue-black but from a bottle. Their little 30ml bottles are OH SO handy.

The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of.

Blaise Pascal

fpn_1336709688__pen_01.jpg

Tell me about any of your new pens and help with fountain pen quality control research!

The vanishing point is indeed a lovely pen for notetaking and short spiels. There are only a few fountain pens that allow for complete one handed operation and I find mine quite useful on rounds or times when I have something in the other hand.

The vanishing point is also relatively durable.

On an aside, I have the decimo ... the slimmer vanishing point on sale in the FPN classified (a fine 18k nib) ... :thumbup:

In Rotation: MB 146 (EF), Noodler's Ahab bumblebee, Edison Pearl (F), Sailor ProGear (N-MF)

In storage: MB 149 (18k EF), TWSBI 540 (B), ST Dupont Olympio XL (EF), MB Dumas (B stub), Waterman Preface (ST), Edison Pearl (0.5mm CI), Noodler's Ahab clear, Pilot VP (M), Danitrio Densho (F), Aurora Optima (F), Lamy 2000 (F), Visconti Homo Sapiens (stub)

• 3 weeks later...

I have the VP Raden with fine and medium nibs. I have small hands and do find that it's a bit of a hassle getting my hand around the clip and in a comfortable writing position. I think maybe the trick is to get it comfortable first and then push the nib out.

The nicest black ink I ever saw is Aurora Black, and you might want to try it for legal documents, as it really is black and impressive, rather than dull and greyed down like most black inks.

I got both the pen and the ink from Stylo.ca in Montreal, and the price, at least for Canadians who are plagued with customs duties if purchasing in the US, was good and the service was excellent - they even had it delivered to my hotel free of charge since I was only there overnight and the store was closed.

• 1 month later...

Sorry for digging up this post again, but I recently purchased a VP Decimo (love the slimmer frame, when I tested it at the pen store, it felt just right in my hand) with an F nib, because I've always been curious about those legendary Japanese fines. It's an early Easter present, so I still have some time to figure out whether i'll need to adjust my ink collection a bit...

Now, I'm an avid iroshizuku fan, which just happens to be made by Pilot, so I was hoping this ink will make a great match for the VP. I am, however, rather afraid that my black-of-the-moment, Mont Blanc Mystery Black is a tad too dry... What other black inks would you people recommend for a VP fine nib?

Edited by missnibs

You will get a lot of recommendations on this. Both Aurora Black (more intense) and Waterman Black are completely safe black inks that will work perfectly in the Fine VP nib unit.

Dave

Sorry for digging up this post again, but I recently purchased a VP Decimo (love the slimmer frame, when I tested it at the pen store, it felt just right in my hand) with an F nib, because I've always been curious about those legendary Japanese fines. It's an early Easter present, so I still have some time to figure out whether i'll need to adjust my ink collection a bit...

Now, I'm an avid iroshizuku fan, which just happens to be made by Pilot, so I was hoping this ink will make a great match for the VP. I am, however, rather afraid that my black-of-the-moment, Mont Blanc Mystery Black is a tad too dry... What other black inks would you people recommend for a VP fine nib?

Aurora Black for it's lovely lubrication and darkness. J'Herbin Perle Noire is also quite a lovely black ink.

I agree with the comments re Mystery Black.

Not a big fan of Noodler's black in the VP - nib creep and can be a little messy.

In Rotation: MB 146 (EF), Noodler's Ahab bumblebee, Edison Pearl (F), Sailor ProGear (N-MF)

In storage: MB 149 (18k EF), TWSBI 540 (B), ST Dupont Olympio XL (EF), MB Dumas (B stub), Waterman Preface (ST), Edison Pearl (0.5mm CI), Noodler's Ahab clear, Pilot VP (M), Danitrio Densho (F), Aurora Optima (F), Lamy 2000 (F), Visconti Homo Sapiens (stub)