Diamine Bilberry

Sandy1

I've been curious about this ink too, so your excellent review is very timely. It looks a bit brighter than Diamine Damson, my current favourite purple.

Hi,

Thank-you for the compliments!

I find the colour of Bilberry to be much more Blue-centric than Damson, which I consider to be Red-centric. I think that Damson has a more 'dusky' aspect as well.

Both are marvelous inks! And we are so spoiled for choice!!

Bye,

S1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sandy1

• PaperDarts

• bizhe

• CBsoul

I bought this ink based on this review....it does not disappoint. It is quite lovely flowing from my FPN LE Stipula Modello-T titanium nib....Thank you, S1, for another delicious staple on my shelf! :puddle:

God is seldom early, never late, and always on time.

~~Larry Brown

I got a bottle of Bilberry on the strength of this review, plus trying it out in a pen at the December Toronto FPN get-together. Now I've got several pens filled with it. A non-FP-user friend to whom I write regular letters commented on the Bilberry - she's never mentioned my ink colours in several years of correspondence, but she said this one was her favourite so far. Clearly a keeper.

"Life would split asunder without letters." Virginia Woolf

I bought this ink based on this review....it does not disappoint. It is quite lovely flowing from my FPN LE Stipula Modello-T titanium nib....Thank you, S1, for another delicious staple on my shelf! :puddle:

Hi,

I'm very glad that you're not disappointed. Even though the ink is saturated, and without much in the way of malleability, the writing experience is very good indeed.

I used it just yesterday from a Targa with a stubbish B nib on G Lalo Verge de France, Ivory tint - it was really very good.

Some are having the dreaded 'it never dries' experience with Bilberry on Rhodia. LINK But not I. (?)

I'm glad Bilberry has become a staple so soon! Pick 'em while they're ripe!

Bye,

S1

I got a bottle of Bilberry on the strength of this review, plus trying it out in a pen at the December Toronto FPN get-together. Now I've got several pens filled with it. A non-FP-user friend to whom I write regular letters commented on the Bilberry - she's never mentioned my ink colours in several years of correspondence, but she said this one was her favourite so far. Clearly a keeper.

Hi,

It's good that other members are finding this ink to be worthy.

It is rather unusual for recipients to respond to an ink that was used. (Or pen or paper for that matter.) But some inks do make their presence known. When I started away from my Blue-centric inks, I did receive a few comments - mostly nice ones.

Bye,

S1

Goes without saying (almost!) this is another great review.

I like this colour a lot. I think it's really interesting how the pinky/purple really comes out on the water spot test, I had not noticed this element in the ink before.

Goes without saying (almost!) this is another great review.

I like this colour a lot. I think it's really interesting how the pinky/purple really comes out on the water spot test, I had not noticed this element in the ink before.

Hi,

Thanks for the compliment!

The Splatter wet test shows the the dyes that come adrift and those that bond to the paper.

The Dilution swabs show the underlying colour of the ink - especially useful for very dark inks. e.g. To distinguish between Dark Blue inks and Blue-Black inks.

Bye,

S1

Hi,

A Topic addressing the effect of dilution was created in the Ink Review - Comparison, Sample & Test SubForum.

http://www.fountainp...29?do=findComment&comment=2230529

See also the Inky Thoughts Forum Topic which reports the dreaded 'never truly dry' behaviour. http://www.fountainp...amine-bilberry/

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

• 11 months later...

S1: I think you left a few things out, .... just kidding. If I were going to review this ink, and if I were going to be objective, thorough, informative, and entertaining, this is the review I might have wirtten, ... if I even could!

But absent that let me just say, "she nailed it!"

A couple months ago I went on a quest for a purple ink on the blue vs the red side of purple. I bought a bucket load of samples. Most were in the 'gee, wonder who I can give this to?' category (too red). A few were in the "I guess this could do if something better does not show up" category. But with my first line of Bilberry I knew I had found one of the inks that would always be in the back row of my little [but growing] ink choir, singing base but with a little more warmth than the PR Midnight Blues [also a premanent member].

Thanks for taking the time and keeping it entertaining as well as informative.

I received a bottle of Bilberry for Christmas, and it's a lovely colour! I find it dark enough to be a good alternative to black inks.

I have found it to be a bit hard starting in a non-dry pen, though. I need to try it out in a few more pens to see if this is a common issue.

Edited by kpyeoman

S1: I think you left a few things out, .... just kidding. If I were going to review this ink, and if I were going to be objective, thorough, informative, and entertaining, this is the review I might have wirtten, ... if I even could!

But absent that let me just say, "she nailed it!"

A couple months ago I went on a quest for a purple ink on the blue vs the red side of purple. I bought a bucket load of samples. Most were in the 'gee, wonder who I can give this to?' category (too red). A few were in the "I guess this could do if something better does not show up" category. But with my first line of Bilberry I knew I had found one of the inks that would always be in the back row of my little [but growing] ink choir, singing base but with a little more warmth than the PR Midnight Blues [also a premanent member].

Thanks for taking the time and keeping it entertaining as well as informative.

Hi,

You're welcome!

I very much appreciate your kind words about the Review.

I've been doing a bit of exploring of the dark Indigo - Sapphire inks, which was triggered by PR Midnight Blues, then rewarded by Diamine Denim. And now Bilberry. Perhaps more gems will come to light as things progress.

One reason I am attracted to Bilberry is that it keeps its lustre when it is very dark - the colour does not become muddy or submerged, even though in some instances it might be perceived as 'nearly Black' at first glance. Also, because it is not prone to shading, the line is less complex, so I am more likely to reach for papers with some texture and/or a modest tint.

Bye,

S1

I received a bottle of Bilberry for Christmas, and it's a lovely colour! I find it dark enough to be a good alternative to black inks.

I have found it to be a bit hard starting in a non-dry pen, though. I need to try it out in a few more pens to see if this is a common issue.

Hi,

I'm glad you like the colour of Bilberry!

As a no/low cost possible solution to the hard start-up, you might try diluting the ink with about 10% [distilled] water. The ink has a very high dye-load, so can easily accommodate modest dilution without losing character.

Please see this Topic in the ICS&T Forum, Diamine Bilberry - Dilution: 100, 80, 60 & 40% LINK

Bye,

S1

Thank you for the lovely and detailed review! I just cracked open a sample of Bilberry today, and am trying to decide if it's the purple I've been looking for. Part of me thinks it's just a shade too blue, whereas my partner insists that it's a very solid purple. It's such a fascinating colour that I'm likely going to buy a bottle even if it DOESN'T turn out to be the purple I've been searching for!

You own everything that happened to you. Tell your stories. If people wanted you to write warmly about them, they should've behaved better. ~ Anne Lamott (This is where I tell my stories.)

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

I need to revisit my bottle of Bilberry. It was the very 1st bottle of ink I purchased and I have a soft spot for it. Not quite sure why, as I've since moved on to other inks and more intriguing ink phenoms like shading and sheen. mhphoto claims bilberry will sheen. Now that I have a more extensive paper collection and am tuned into sheen, I'll take a closer look. It is a very dark purple, and yes, it could pass for a black if laid down heavy enough and I like heavy broad strokes. I'm partial to 1.5 nibs and black letter, so will try it in that vein. I'll dig up my bottle and try some different pens and papers see if I can find anything I didn't see the first time.

nulla dies sine linea

Thank you for the lovely and detailed review! I just cracked open a sample of Bilberry today, and am trying to decide if it's the purple I've been looking for. Part of me thinks it's just a shade too blue, whereas my partner insists that it's a very solid purple. It's such a fascinating colour that I'm likely going to buy a bottle even if it DOESN'T turn out to be the purple I've been searching for!

Hi,

You're welcome!

I think that Bilberry resides in the imaginary border region between Purple and Sapphire-Indigo. As shown in the Written Samples above, and in the dilution samples, the value (light - dark) plays a significant role, along with the characteristics of the viewing light.

To get a fairly good idea of where Bilberry could fit into your inky array, you might do an ad hoc comparison to Diamine Denim and Private Reserve Midnight Blues. (Those Reviews share similar imaging & sampling methods.)

Bye,

S1

I need to revisit my bottle of Bilberry. It was the very 1st bottle of ink I purchased and I have a soft spot for it. Not quite sure why, as I've since moved on to other inks and more intriguing ink phenoms like shading and sheen. mhphoto claims bilberry will sheen. Now that I have a more extensive paper collection and am tuned into sheen, I'll take a closer look. It is a very dark purple, and yes, it could pass for a black if laid down heavy enough and I like heavy broad strokes. I'm partial to 1.5 nibs and black letter, so will try it in that vein. I'll dig up my bottle and try some different pens and papers see if I can find anything I didn't see the first time.

Hi,

Thank-you for sharing your experience with Bilberry! :thumbup:

When I started out with FPs, I used one ink and one pen for years on end, and was very pleased. It was only when I was gifted with other pens that I started to use other inks. At first I was curious, then became 'fully engaged'.

I always like to return to an ink that I haven't used for a while, in the anticipation that it will have more to show than previous explorations.

Please let us know of your ongoing adventure with Bilberry. :)

Bye,

S1

• 2 months later...

Great review! I've been using Bilberry for about a year now and I've been very happy with it. Dark enough to be taken seriously in business correspondence but with enough depth of colour to remain aesthetically pleasing.

Wouldn't it be great if Nakaya used TWSBI piston fillers instead of Platinum cartridge converters?