Is The Pilot 78G Underrated?

_Logan

I debated for a few days, but ordered a B nib 78G today to give it a try. I looked for other alternatives to trying a stub/italic nib in this price range, and couldn't find any. Can't wait to get it :)

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7017/6490383951_be6eafdea4_o.jpg

Ink Drop member since December 2011

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• watch_art

• adallak

• JimB

• JustinJ

I feel that it doesn't live up to it's hype, it is an ok pen at an ok price.

I have many cheaper chinese pens that out perform it in every respect.

But that B nib that writes like a CI nib? You gotta love it! I just wish it came in more colors.

It is easier to stay out than get out. - Mark Twain

• 1 year later...

I am no artist, but I recently did a bit of drawing with my 78G fine point with Noodler's x-feather and I loved the results. I did smooth the tip just a bit, but I otherwise did not mess with it. Yes, it is VERY fine, but that is great for drawing the look of of winter field grass in a field of snow! Starts every time without fail, even after a couple months of neglect in a drawer. Gotta love that.

Yes, the pilot 78G is underrated- as a serious pen. Does it deserve to be? depends. The medium nibs on these are generally great, but the fine and broad nibs are not so. The size, balance, clip and posting are almost perfect on these pens.

My only minor complaint is that sometimes they tend to be dry or to skip at the beginning of the letter, but these are quick to fix problems, when occurred.

None of my chinese pens can compare(overall) with the pilot.

Edited by rochester21

So far, I have only had experience with the Fine nib. It's very fine, indeed, but mine is surprisingly smooth, with a bit of spring. I quite like it, especially on bad paper. It's fairly well-made, with a screw-on cap. I think it's at least as good as the Platinum Preppy 0.3mm, but the nib writes a finer line and is smoother, in my experience. I would not be surprised that such a mass-produced pen would have a more sample variability than more expensive pens. Perhaps that's the source of the divided opinions.

---

Please, visit my website at http://www.acousticpens.com/

I've handled a 78G F nib (sample size: 1) and I found it a bit scratchy for my tastes, but then I discovered the rather deceivingly-named B nib, which is an italic nib that behaves exactly like the Kawecosport 1.1mm italic for a quarter of the price, and more crisp than the Lamy 1.1mm that also tends to run a bit wet for me.

Inquisitive Quill on Instagram and YouTube 

Yes, in my opinion, the 78G is underrated. I currently have 7 of them 3 fine, 2 medium and 2 broad. I have swapped the nibs in one fine and one broad into the new Metropolitan and an older Knight. The medium is an acceptable noib for me but I really like the fine and the broad, which I agree, is much closer to an italic nib.

Also you may want to be aware that jstationery.com (no affiliation) has the 78G for $10.50 and free shipping over $20.00.

I bought several from him when they were $12.00 and will probably go back for some more soon.

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

Yes, in my opinion, the 78G is underrated. I currently have 7 of them 3 fine, 2 medium and 2 broad. I have swapped the nibs in one fine and one broad into the new Metropolitan and an older Knight. The medium is an acceptable noib for me but I really like the fine and the broad, which I agree, is much closer to an italic nib.

Also you may want to be aware that jstationery.com (no affiliation) has the 78G for $10.50 and free shipping over $20.00.

I bought several from him when they were $12.00 and will probably go back for some more soon.

Yes, the 78Gs are addictive! I have many as well. :)

“Be nice to people on your way up because you meet them on your way down.” Jimmy Durante quotes (American Comedian, Pianist and Singer, 1893-1980)

Yes and no. It is definitely a great pen and a good bargain, but I'd use mine more and I'd probably get every nib and color combination if it didn't have those cheesy rings or if they otherwise made the design more unassuming/honest, like the Metropolitan/Cocoon. The teal colored body is amazing; it's a real shame about those rings...

If you get the stub, it's certainly the best I've seen in the "less than a Safari" price point, for that sort of nib.

Safari collector, italic nib and cheap pen evangelist.

Wanted: De Atramentis Magic Alchemist (also Magic Boarding School or Wizard)

I have both a fine and a medium and love them both. Used as eyedroppers I find they both write well and wet enough for all that I do. The fine is great for small notes and sketching, however it is very fine. The medium has one of the smoothest nibs I own though some would argue. I don't think these pens are underrated at all, they are just very nice writers for the money(I paid 13USD each).

I have bought these in bundles and they are on the whole great for the price. Now and then there's a dud, but I love the M especially, ultra-smooth, with excellent flow. The B and BB did not work for me at all, however.