Waterman Inks

benn093

I got the Mysterious Blue and Florida Blue on my order, somehow Mysterious Blue does not equate to Blue/Black

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ThirdeYe

• onetake

• lapis

• Ghost Plane

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think Rubbermaid should separate itself out and go back to making dish washing racks, and those white rubber blade kitchen tools for scraping the pudding out of bowls.

Its not Rubbermaid's fault...they were bought out by Newell, who dragged their good name through hell and back

I think Rubbermaid should separate itself out and go back to making dish washing racks, and those white rubber blade kitchen tools for scraping the pudding out of bowls.

Its not Rubbermaid's fault...they were bought out by Newell, who dragged their good name through hell and back

Same difference. Besides, when it comes to cross product mis-management, making fun of Rubbermaid known for scraping out pudding bowls is more pestiferously vexatious. I never heard of Newell, but looking them up, I can understand why.

I was not in the habit of taking down my curtain rods to see who made them...but Newel is equally vacuous regarding the capacity to manage a sophisticated product such as quality fountain pens.

With the new FPN rules, now I REALLY don't know what to put in my signature.

Actually, and I am on record as being against the ink renaming, Newell-Rubbermaid is a heck of a company with very smart management.

I think perhaps the company ended up with fountain pen brands by accident and then decided to make that a full-fledged division with more acquisitions. I don't know how that's working out for them. But if you look at what they did with Sharpie, you can see that they know how to expand a market for a product that seems to have limited appeal. Unfortunately, I believe there's a different person in charge of fountain pens.

According to Newell/Rubbermaid; the US distributors of Waterman. The inks are just being renamed.

Attached is a chart showing the new names

post-53408-0-33883500-1327015727.png

Yes, correct, the following direct from Waterman:

The box design and the names of the Waterman fountain pen inks have changed. Below is a copy showing the old names and what the new names are. They are the same colors, just new names. (Use of the word colors must mean formulations, too.)

Stupid names. If they were going to do this, they should have had a naming contest. In what world is Absolute Brown a better name than Havana?

Stupid names. If they were going to do this, they should have had a naming contest. In what world is Absolute Brown a better name than Havana?

France? :happyberet:

Derek's Pens and Pencils

I am always looking for new penpals! Send me a pm if you'd like to exchange correspondence. :)

France? :happyberet:

:roflmho:

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

Actually, and I am on record as being against the ink renaming, Newell-Rubbermaid is a heck of a company with very smart management.

I think perhaps the company ended up with fountain pen brands by accident and then decided to make that a full-fledged division with more acquisitions. I don't know how that's working out for them. But if you look at what they did with Sharpie, you can see that they know how to expand a market for a product that seems to have limited appeal. Unfortunately, I believe there's a different person in charge of fountain pens.

Yeah, I'm not sure the hate directed toward Newell-Rubbermaid is deserved. At the very least they're doing a better job with Waterman and Parker than Bic are with Sheaffer. Everyone in the market (except Montblanc) seems to be struggling. Perhaps it would be worthwhile to start a thread discussing what we think the Waterman and Parker brands should be doing. Or perhaps there are already a plethora of such threads in the brand sub-forums?

• 4 weeks later...

"Serenity Now! Serenity Now!" ;) Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

Back on topic: I have never used Florida Blue so I can't compare this new Serenity to any samples. Looking at the ink reviews of FB posted here, the Serenity color is similar, FWIW. Not sure why they would

re-name and re-package the same classic inks, without a press release. Still hope somebody can get info from Waterman. ( My B&M store still hasn't heard back from them. )

I asked the lunchroom what they thought of using the name "serenity blue" and 15 of the 16 immediately threw their hands in the air, looked to the heavens and yelled "SERENITY NOW!!! SERENITY NOW!!!"

last year in Toronto a condo developer put a radio ad on with Singing in the Rain in the background, my same lunchroom test group also scored as high for instantly triggering the rape scene in A Clockwork Orange with that tune. it is no longer on the air.

I asked the lunchroom what they thought of using the name "serenity blue" and 15 of the 16 immediately threw their hands in the air, looked to the heavens and yelled "SERENITY NOW!!! SERENITY NOW!!!"

Ahaaa... If I had asked 16 people if they liked the new name, at least 15 would have said "No".

http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu264/peli46/No.jpg

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

• 1 month later...

Such is the nature of marketing. How many of us have bought the basic Noodler's Blue lately? And how many of us have instead purchased a bottle of Baystate Blue, Bad Blue Heron, Ottoman Azure, Eel Blue, or Kung Te-Cheng? We perceive the latter to hold more value, and the name factors into that.

Take a look at the Newell annual report, availabl;e on-line at the company website. It appears that Parker is doing very well, having designed a quick-setup Parker kiosk that, according to the Wall Street Journal, the company has gotten into big Chinese department stores. The WSJ article says that Parker is one of Newell's most profitable business lines...

Washington Nationals 2019: the fight for .500; "stay in the fight"; WON the fight

Take a look at the Newell annual report, availabl;e on-line at the company website. It appears that Parker is doing very well, having designed a quick-setup Parker kiosk that, according to the Wall Street Journal, the company has gotten into big Chinese department stores. The WSJ article says that Parker is one of Newell's most profitable business lines...

Yup. Better at making money, worse at making products. Seems the way business is headed in general.

I am so late to discover that Waterman changed the ink names. Florida blue is my definite favorite blue. I use it in my demo pens most of the time. But as they rebrand the name as Secrenty Blue, does any one know if it still a washable ink?

I am so late to discover that Waterman changed the ink names. Florida blue is my definite favorite blue. I use it in my demo pens most of the time. But as they rebrand the name as Secrenty Blue, does any one know if it still a washable ink?

They haven't changed the inks, only the packaging.

-Eclipse Flat Top-|-Parker "51" Aero-|-Sheaffer's Snorkel Sentinel-|-Esterbrook SJ-|-Sheaffer Imperial II Deluxe TD-|-Sheaffer 330-|-Reform 1745-|-PenUsa Genesis-|-Hero 616-|-Noodler's Flex-|-Schneider Voice-|-TWSBI Vac 700-

Ok. Thanks, ticoun. That is a big relieve. It seems a bit strange though, that they would take off the "washable ink" label, which should be a plus for the sales.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok. Thanks, ticoun. That is a big relieve. It seems a bit strange though, that they would take off the "washable ink" label, which should be a plus for the sales.

I sent for Florida Blue and Serenity Blue is what I received. It does look exactly like Florida Blue in colour. They may have removed reference to "washable", but they have added "Erasable". How it can be erased I don't know. I tried a pencil eraser but it didn't work!

John

Favourite pens in my collection (in alpha order): Caran d'Ache Ecridor Chevron F and Leman Black/Silver F; Parker 51 Aerometric M and F; Parker 61 Insignia M, Parker Duofold Senior F; Platinum #3776 Century M; Sailor 1911 Black/Gold 21 Kt M; Sheaffer Crest Palladium M/F; Sheaffer Prelude Silver/Palladium Snakeskin Pattern F; Waterman Carene Deluxe Silver F

It means they're erasable with those "ink eradicator" pens that smell like rotten eggs.

"Perdita thought, to take an example at random, that things like table manners were a stupid and repressive idea. Agnes, on the other hand, was against being hit by flying bits of other people's cabbage." (Pratchett, T. Carpe Jugulum.)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1813132/pride.png

• 3 months later...

Hi, I wrote an e-mail to Waterman and after one day a got an answer from Newell Poland Services. He wrote to me in Polish: "Tak, Zmieniło się tylko nazewnictwo." In English: "Yes. Only the names have changed."