Waterman Inks

benn093

Do you know anything about Waterman Serenity Blue ink? I was in a Carrefour supermarket in Toulon and bought a couple of the Kultur-ish pens (both in blister packs with fine nibs) for about 10 Euros apiece. There was a single pack of Florida Blue cartrideges for sale. On the following day, having decided to get some of the cartridges, the row was replaced by a new line of Waterman "Serenity Blue" cartridges - never heard of them before. The package is the same size but the artwork is quite different (pity I don't have access to a scanner!). Any ideas? I hope to try them out soon. They are washable. (The really annoying thing is that Carrefour can sell these at 1.30 Euros and in the US and Canada?????)

Alan

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ThirdeYe

• onetake

• lapis

• MrsGouletPens

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Umm.... I may be getting off the track but "Serenity Blue" cartridges may just refer to cartridges which fit into a "Serenity Blue" pen.

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Waterman makes only those coloured inks:

• Noir (Black)
  • Bleu-noir (Blue-black)
  • Bleu effaçable (erasable blue, Florida Blue)
  • Bleu Mers du Sud (South Seas Blue)
  • Vert (Green)
  • Violet (Purple)
  • Rose (Pink)
  • Havane (Brown, Havana)

Sérénité Bleu is this pen

Edited by VillersCotterets

I'll have a look at those next time I go to the supermarket. It's not like I have too many inks yet ;)

http://i.imgur.com/bZFLPKY.jpg

The barcode number is the same as the Florida Blue, so maybe this is a re-naming?

Looks like it. It's still called "Bleu effaçable". Notice also the big "Newell Rubbermaid" logo which wasn't there on previous packaging.

• 3 weeks later...

I concur. The "Bleu Sérénité" is Florida Blue, "Bleu Mystère" is blue black, and "Noir Intense" is black. It seems to be repackaging. And a good way to jump from 5€ a bottle to 7€ a bottle.

http://i.imgur.com/bZFLPKY.jpg

I just bought a bottle of Waterman Serenity Blue at Dromgoole's Fine Writing Instruments, an hour ago. They had Florida blue and Serenity blue on the same shelf, next to each other. The man there allowed me to take a swab of both colors.

I was actually under the impression that they were completely different inks. When I swabbed them, the Florida blue seemed significantly darker than the Serenity; the serenity was more of a pastel, sky blue. Also, when I looked at the caps, the Serenity seemed less viscous. On the box, it says: "Encre Bleu Sérénité" and below," Serenity Blue Ink. I may be wrong about this, but I think they are different inks. This is really interesting, considering they were both the same price.

I don't have a sample of Waterman Florida Blue to compare it with, but if I ever do get a bottle, I'll be sure to do a comparison.

• 3 weeks later...

I just bought a bottle of Waterman's Serenity Blue fountain pen ink.....the packaging is different from the regular bottled inks. They also had a bottle of Waterman's purple in the new packaging. I think it was called tranquil purple or something like that.

Now that I've tried the Serenity Blue in a pen, it looks different from regular Florida blue, much darker, so I don't know what's going on. No one in the shop had any information on it and I didn't see anything on the Waterman site.

Hope someone clues us in but for now, a mystery.

If it is a different ink, this is really disheartening. Florida Blue is my favorite ink color and I really hope it doesn't become discontinued...

Derek's Pens and Pencils

I am always looking for new penpals! Send me a pm if you'd like to exchange correspondence. :)

"Serenity Now! Serenity Now!" ;) Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

Back on topic: I have never used Florida Blue so I can't compare this new Serenity to any samples. Looking at the ink reviews of FB posted here, the Serenity color is similar, FWIW. Not sure why they would

re-name and re-package the same classic inks, without a press release. Still hope somebody can get info from Waterman. ( My B&M store still hasn't heard back from them. )

Well...I am glad I found this topic so I didn't have to be the one to start the potential panic...I heard from a reliable retail source that Waterman Florida Blue has been discontinued and replaced with Serenity Blue. As mentioned above these are different colors. I don't know if it the decision is final or not...perhaps someone in the know (are you listening Goulets? :) ) can comment.

This has fast become one of my favorite inks too, so I would be quite sad indeed.

This post contains 100% recycled electrons

http://i952.photobucket.com/albums/ae8/Catriker/Pen%20Pics/SmallCzarNikolai.jpg

Vanness Pens noticed this when they ordered the Florida and got the other. Their swabs show a different color. DRAT! If the reliable Waterman ink is getting reformulated to Rubbermaid's low bean counter standards, I don't know what I'll use in my Carenes :sick:

Well...I am glad I found this topic so I didn't have to be the one to start the potential panic...I heard from a reliable retail source that Waterman Florida Blue has been discontinued and replaced with Serenity Blue. As mentioned above these are different colors. I don't know if it the decision is final or not...perhaps someone in the know (are you listening Goulets? :) ) can comment.

This has fast become one of my favorite inks too, so I would be quite sad indeed.

Thanks for the update. I went ahead and bought 5 more bottles of it before it becomes discontinued. My favorite color... :crybaby:

Derek's Pens and Pencils

I am always looking for new penpals! Send me a pm if you'd like to exchange correspondence. :)

I like the color as well, but I don't seem to have a single favorite color, just a favorite color range that I like to rotate through. Waterman Florida Blue is in there. Incidentally, the name (which I gather the French don't use) has always perplexed me.

Edited by mhosea

I know my id is "mhosea", but you can call me Mike. It's an old Unix thing.

FWIW: Here's the package and the bottle that I have: my local pen shop also had this new packaging for the Waterman's Purple (and a new name for the purple that I can't remember) :

post-55149-0-30769900-1327008073.jpg

post-55149-0-99784700-1327008262.jpg

Thanks for the update. I went ahead and bought 5 more bottles of it before it becomes discontinued. My favorite color... :crybaby:

I did exactly the same thing (5 bottles) couldn't take a chance. I suspect the Post from Vanness is more accurate than what I heard locally

Edited by WOBentley

This post contains 100% recycled electrons

http://i952.photobucket.com/albums/ae8/Catriker/Pen%20Pics/SmallCzarNikolai.jpg