2012 Diaries

Hi

I have the Quo Vadis Note 27 diary which is very fountain pen friendly and has a notes section...am looking for something slightly bigger (A4) and with a hard back cover...and which is fountain pen friendly....seem to be few and far between so just wondered if anyone had any ideas?

thanks

Sue

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• suet

• bogiesan

• Makar

• rx170

Top Posters In This Topic

Your definition of diary is probably different from mine.

I've got a Leuchtturm 8x5 daily planner on the way for 2012 (changing after almost 20 years with Franklin Day Palnners). I'll let you know in a few days how it does with my Sheaffers. But I usually use pencil for 90% of my planner entries for appointments and notes and I use looseleaf pages for more extensive notes and project tracking. If I used it for a dated daily record of thoughts and observations, I'd probably use my fountains in it much more.

I ride a recumbent, I play go, I use Macintosh so of course I use a fountain pen.

I also use Leuchtturm but the medium sized diary. Good quality fountain pen paper with lots of nice detail. You can get it in 'master' size which is A4 I think. Have a look here Leuchtturm

Stephen

When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe.

John Muir

thanks - the Leuchtturm looks very nice in the master size...would you know what the details are on the paper? I know the Quo Vadis Note 27 is 90g but cant seem to find this info on the Leuchtturm

thanks

Sue

Not sure of weight but it is excellent for FPs - no issues with the weight of the paper. Read this review by another member Lady Dandelion Leuchtturm review

Stephen

When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe.

John Muir

I have the Quo Vadis Note 27 diary which is very fountain pen friendly and has a notes section...am looking for something slightly bigger (A4) and with a hard back cover...and which is fountain pen friendly....seem to be few and far between so just wondered if anyone had any ideas?

I like the King's Diary from Smythson:

http://media.smythson.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/350x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/1/0/1007627b.jpg

Really though, Smythson has a lot of good choices this year for both him and her. Take a look.

yes the Smythson diaries look nice but they dont have a notes section on each page....

thanks for the link to the reviews on the Leuchtturm.....I think I would need to test this with my fountain pens.....some good and some bad reviews....hm....somehow dont think I will be able to beat the Quo Vadis Pre note for paper quality.....just a pity the size of the diary is too small and also its not a hard cover....

well i was able to test the Leuchtturm diary today with 100g fountain pen friendly paper ... using a couple of my fountain pens....have to say i was very disappointed in the quality of the paper....lots of feathering and also bleed through....the diary was just what I was looking for ... apart from the paper.....gotta keep looking I guess....

well i was able to test the Leuchtturm diary today with 100g fountain pen friendly paper ... using a couple of my fountain pens....have to say i was very disappointed in the quality of the paper....lots of feathering and also bleed through....the diary was just what I was looking for ... apart from the paper.....gotta keep looking I guess....

I received my 2012 large Leuchtturm daily planner a few days ago (thank YOU to Cynthia at Journalling Arts) I've been putting my known 2012 events and appointments into it with pencil since the best plans change. there are several perforated pages in the back and I've been testing all of my Sheaffer pens on them.

So far, I'm delighted with the paper's fountain pen response so our writing instruments and inks vary widely, no surprise there.

As for the design and layout of the book itself, I come from 20 years of using 2-page per day format in Franklin Day Planners. The Leuchtturm page layout could be improved dramatically by adding a light line bisecting the entire page top to bottom (neatly providing a notes section) and by adding light lines to provide a 30 minute section to each hourly block.

I ride a recumbent, I play go, I use Macintosh so of course I use a fountain pen.

interesting - can i ask what nib sizes and what ink you were using? I used Mont Blanc Blue Black ink with a broad nib (MB) and also Caran D'ache Saffron in an OMAS Arco celluloid with broad stub. The feathering was visible as soon as the ink hit the paper....and the bleed thro was really bad...

Suet, "Black n Red" (whose notebooks are usually fairly well regarded) do an A4 diary that may be of interest.

The company that owns their brand (Oxford) make a "Classic" diary with 90gsm paper in A4 size too.

I have a little ghosting in my Leuchtturm diary but no bleed through and no feathering. I use fine nibs in my diary - for me it is for business meetings and side notes related to business. Fine nibs provide more info in terms of space available in an A5 diary. I can imagine broad wet nibs being a little different on this paper.

John Muir

interesting - can i ask what nib sizes and what ink you were using? I used Mont Blanc Blue Black ink with a broad nib (MB) and also Caran D'ache Saffron in an OMAS Arco celluloid with broad stub. The feathering was visible as soon as the ink hit the paper....and the bleed thro was really bad...

My Sheaffers run from extra fine gold and steel nibs to a medium gold nib, conicals and inlaids in both metals. I generally use Sheaffer cartridges in all of them but I also have a couple bottles of Herbin that I mix or refill with a syringe.

We probably don't have the same tolerance for bleedthrough but I none of my inks actually blot through to the opposite side of the page leaf. But the paper has a low opacity, making it a bit transparent, and every writing instrument I have used, except a #3 x 0.5 pencil, is visible from the back. This doesn't bother me much because I only use one side of all of my notebook pages. Not exactly economical but it fills the noteback more rapidly and the information is less dense, easier to find.

Over on the Writer's Bloc bog, Cheryl has posted her take on "fountain pen friendly paper" and she has photos of several tip/ink/paper samples to examine the phenomenon of feathering. .

Writer's Bloc 1

Writer's Bloc 2

Note to those visiting from the future: Look for the entries from December 2011

• 2 weeks later...

searching the entire Wednesday afternoon I opted for Paperblanks while user Oya decided for Moleskine.

24122011783.jpg

24122011784.jpg

Made in China? Terrible paper?

I saw those overwhelm the French market (they probably offer very motivating margins). Held one, touched the paper, never picked one again.

Edited by JeanManuel

Everything is impermanent.

No, the paper is ink friendly, I am happy with it. Totaly comparable to Moleskine. The shop had both and was able to compare.

Moleskine.

It's made in china too, except a few models. :)

Well designed but the paper is just ok.

Good if you're happy with them.

Perhaps you'll have the occasion to try EU (or US?) paper :) it's something else.

Edited by JeanManuel

Everything is impermanent.

searching the entire Wednesday afternoon I opted for Paperblanks while user Oya decided for Moleskine.

I opted for Paperblanks this year too. So far I'm happy with my choice too.

I've been on a quest to see if I could commit all Seven Deadly Sins in a single day. Finally, it dawned on me I shouldn't try for the One Day Wonder Prize for all seven in one day. It's simply out of any question as you can't commit decent sloth while busily ticking the other six off your crowded "to do" list. -- ViolinWriter