Sepia Toned Ink Comparison - 32 Inks

dcpritch

Btw, is your review updatable? saw an advertisement for a new Pilot ink today

Oh no! :o

How small of all that human hearts endure,
That part which laws or kings can cause or cure.

— Samuel Johnson

Instagram: dcpritch

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dcpritch

• pen2paper

• picautomaton

• SamCapote

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Btw, is your review updatable? saw an advertisement for a new Pilot ink today

Oh no! :o

ROFL! I bet just the thought of adding more stops your bowel activity for 3 days. :roflmho:

Plus, there will always be one more that looks luscious

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/pike444/Inks/IMG_1476.jpg

I wrote my comments in the first thread, but this is all just soooo awesome !!!!!!

Hey, do you think you could do a zip of your images so we could look at them offline, rather than all the individual links? Maybe email or upload it one of the file storing sites?

Edited by SamCapote

With the new FPN rules, now I REALLY don't know what to put in my signature.

Wow! <<<----I am marking this for later reference.

How'd you like the vintage Carter's Harvest Brown tucked in there amongst all the modern inks? 70 years old and still hanging tough with the youngsters!

David, if I had known you were working on such an ambitious project, I would have sent you samples of more inks. Nonetheless, your post defines the gold standard of material that should be posted on this bulletin board.

As far as the Carter's ink is concerned, I am very surprised that a 70 year old ink, matched, and in many cases surpassed, some of its modern progeny. This ink handles very well without a lot of bleeding or feathering on cheap paper grades. The color is good. Obviously it's stable. It dries reasonably fast, and it's water resistant. Wow.

(For those that haven't figured out, I sold David the bottle of Carter's Harvest Brown.)

Edited by ToasterPastry

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn130/ToasterPastryphoto/pop.jpg

Follow me on Twitter!

Read my silly blog!

yep, I think it qualifies.

... there will always be one more that looks luscious ...

... I would have sent you samples of more inks.

+++ eyes closed, stamping feet, holding hands over ears, exclaiming "NaNaNa, I can't hear you..." +++

Thanks you guys and to all the other posts for the very kind compliments. My goal was to make something useful and not embarrass myself in the process. Looks like I got at least partway there. PM sent to Sam regarding images.

— Samuel Johnson

This is indispensable. :clap1: :clap1: :clap1:

So what if it's possible to add to it? Anybody up for a totally comprehensive comparison? The Goulets already have the swabs done, so the rest should be a doddle! :roflmho: (Just kidding . . .)

Tremendous work, thank you so much. I loved the flexed writing samples. There will always be more inks, the Goulets just got in De Atramentis and there's Sepia and Havana. Something I'll have to try for myself. :rolleyes:

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks for two most informative postings. Lots of work that really shows the level of shading that I was most interested in.

Thank you again.

Only on FPN!

• 1 month later...

And even more love for part two. :wub:

With the new FPN rules, now I REALLY don't know what to put in my signature.

Man I envy your Sepia toned ink collection.

:thumbup:

"One Ink-drop on a solitary thought hath moved the minds of millions" - P R Spencer

vbg.gif so... time has passed..

spring is about to launch..

new sepia variants pending, or are the decks already awash, and being swabbed?

biggrin.gif

Haha!

The decks have been washed, holystoned, and swabbed dry! I still have to add a couple of corrective samples due to problems noted above on a couple of inks, but other than that I'm taking a long breather. And now I bet geoduc is doing the same after his excellent comparison of murky green inks - what a great job he did!

— Samuel Johnson

You may need to add this guy. Excellent shading brown / sepia ink. Wancher Asuka Road Brown

post-27701-0-27430700-1330507069.jpg

"One Ink-drop on a solitary thought hath moved the minds of millions" - P R Spencer

Only just noticed this. Excellent work - thank you. I shall be buying some of these!

Sincerely, beak.

God does not work in mysterious ways – he works in ways that are indistinguishable from his non-existence.

Wow! Thank you for this!

best,

eo

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow.

The important thing is not to stop questioning. --Albert Einstein

• 7 months later...

I've re-scanned and re-uploaded/re-linked all the images, for a more accurate color depiction than was first seen. I think the images now shown are pretty darn close to real life (subject to monitor variances, of course). Sorry for the earlier scans with intense contrast; I'm just learning to use the scanner.

This is a brilliant reference! Thank you for working through it and posting it.

Just what I needed to reference tonight.

...writing only requires focus, and something to write on. —John August

...and a pen that's comfortable in the hand.—moi

You may need to add this guy. Excellent shading brown / sepia ink. Wancher Asuka Road Brown

snip

Hi,

A quick view of asuka with Café des Îsles, R&K Sepia, yama-guri, and Delta Brown can be found here: LINK

I do hope the dry time of asuka has since been greatly reduced.

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

Sepia inks are some of my favorites, thanks for this!

"Do you know the legend about cicadas? They say they are the souls of poets who cannot keep quiet because, when they were alive, they never wrote the poems they wanted to."

Wow, you put in a lot of work on this. Thank you! I have likes the sepia color, but never realized there were so many shades. There are so many I want to try now.

http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Bzlgij6wT00/UFPXtnF5xJI/AAAAAAAACK8/NBc-ooQMSx4/s1024/inkdrop.jpghttp://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-PBHkCjLM9Ho/UFPX1yKXT9I/AAAAAAAACLE/MXlK_ta_VAQ/s1024/letterexchangeparticipate.pnghttp://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-3DnA74iPaS0/UHPo3XFSzkI/AAAAAAAACLc/dJP3S1n6b-8/s1024/IMAGE_3642FB4B-196A-4EC8-A76F-808218FF3A69.PNG