Noodler's Ahab Flex + Adjustment Tips

tanalasta

Mine started to blot and leak - the o-ring on the nib end of the pen had split. 30 cents at the hardware store, and all is fine again.

Do you by chance remember what size that o-ring is? I unscrewed the pen, and it crumbled. Just bad luck, but I need to replace it.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• youstruckgold

• tanalasta

• SamCapote

• Paladin

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sorry I don't. I just took in my old one and did a size comparison in the shop.

The rung of a ladder was never meant to rest upon, but only to hold a man's foot long enough to enable him to put the other somewhat higher - Thomas Huxley

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

The pen writes beautifully BUT about once a page in the middle of writing it dispenses a giant glob of ink that obliterates the text in the immediate vicinity. I was having this issue before and after adjustment. Any ideas?

I think this behavior is caused by an air leak into the ink reservoir. Ink should be surrounding the nib and feed, sealing off the air outside the pen from inside. If any gaps are too large, however, then perhaps air can get into the ink reservoir too easily. The piston seal is another possible suspect.

I know my id is "mhosea", but you can call me Mike. It's an old Unix thing.

Mine started to blot and leak - the o-ring on the nib end of the pen had split. 30 cents at the hardware store, and all is fine again.

Do you by chance remember what size that o-ring is? I unscrewed the pen, and it crumbled. Just bad luck, but I need to replace it.

I used these ... http://www.gouletpens.com/Platinum_Preppy_O_Rings_p/orings-preppy.htm ... (no affiliation, etc...) Plus, than you have some to convert preppies down the line.... If you over-tighten the filling unit to the section, it seems that it flattens the o-ring too much and it bulges over the threads on the section and can get caught when you attach the barrel to the section...

Great review.

I voluntarily took the breather tube out. It only took one time pushing the plunger down, which pushed the nib/feed/tube into a full bottle of Baystate Blue to make that decision…

Edited by mhphoto

fpn_1451747045__img_1999-2.jpg

I used these ... http://www.gouletpens.com/Platinum_Preppy_O_Rings_p/orings-preppy.htm ... (no affiliation, etc...) Plus, than you have some to convert preppies down the line.... If you over-tighten the filling unit to the section, it seems that it flattens the o-ring too much and it bulges over the threads on the section and can get caught when you attach the barrel to the section...

Thanks for the link. That is perfect.

• 6 months later...

I had trouble then I thoroughly cleaned with Windex .Small amount of ammonia in now.Flows well .Still scratchy.Buy a Rotring ,.$25.smooth as silk and no scrubbing

• 2 months later...

I'm fairly new to fountain pens and after a bit of debate decided to try the Ahab. With little adjustment required I was able to get it flowing well but had trouble with the inking dripping. Borrowing from someone else's tip (somewhere?) I rotated the pen in my fingers so that the nib was upside down and depressed gently. Problem solved.

At least for a while...

Suddenly, the pen would cut out after a few lines and not easily resume ink flow. I cleaned, adjusted, cleaned, adjusted, etc., but couldn't get the flow to return. Nothing worked. I even tried 409; and scrubbed the feed with a toothbrush. The more I tried the worse the problem got. Then this morning I decided to clean again with 409, but this time wearing latex gloves (too late to save my fingers from the ink stains). When I reassembled I again wore the gloves and kept them on while I adjusted the nib and feed. Wonder of wonders, the pen works marvelously without skipping, without dripping. I can't help but think all the fiddling with feed got my own oils into the feed and every time I reassembled after cleaning I contaminated the feed again.

Hope this helps someone else.

• 10 months later...

Just wanted to drop in to say thanks to the OP. My Ahab was OK - a wee bit scratchy, the odd railroad here and there, but OK. I emptied it, cleaned it, and set it up as per the first post and... wow! It's smooth, it starts first time and it never, ever railroads. It might get its own ink at this rate; at the moment it's using my non-committal ink (washable blue Quink).

Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.

I've spilled so much ink on my hands trying to fiddle with the Ahab that I'm done with Noodler's.

For not much more money I could get a far more functional Safari, or my Phileas didn't cost a lot more.

Showing up at work with with red stained fingers...yeah..not so cool

Edited by Chuasam

• 3 months later...

Incredible review. I had been wondering if the Ahab or the Konrad were worth experimenting with, as a first flex pen. Thank you very much for your instructions on adjustment.

Will journal for food!

Twsbi Mini 1.1 -- Lamy Safari, charcol grey, 1.1 -- Pilot Plumix M Calligraphy --

Lamy Vista 1.5 -- Jinhao x750 Ivory, Goulet #6 1.1

I have spent 3-4 hours after unboxing (the pen didn't work straight out of the box) trying to find the perfect fit between the nib and the feed. I didn't even know how time passed so fast. I tried everything. I cleaned it prior and cleaned it again several times. Warm water to mend the feed etc. etc.

I ended up absolutely hating the Ahab and everything that means Noodler's. I don't know, maybe it's that thing, hate it or love it.

De gustibus non disputandum... I just hate Noodler's.

ἓν οἶδα ὅτι οὐδὲν οἶδα

• 2 months later...

I love my Ahab. The flex nib makes it very versatile. Apart from the unpleasant smell, there's nothing but praise for this great value pen. I've noticed that it tends to dry out relatively quickly compared to say my Pelikano Junior. If left for a week, the pen dries out completely. Anyone else have this issue? If yes, how can this be fixed? I've tried tightening all the parts of the pen to no avail.

Just wondering.

http://jonathan.hs.cheng.googlepages.com/SigGoodMen.jpg

This seems to be a problem not only with Noodler's pens, but with a fair few of the cheap Indian pens I have in my collection - the pen lids just aren't airtight! I've started storing them overnight (and when not in use) in a snap-lock bag, and find that makes a big difference.

This seems to be a problem not only with Noodler's pens, but with a fair few of the cheap Indian pens I have in my collection - the pen lids just aren't airtight! I've started storing them overnight (and when not in use) in a snap-lock bag, and find that makes a big difference.

Thanks for the tip. Will try putting the pen in a ziploc bag.

http://jonathan.hs.cheng.googlepages.com/SigGoodMen.jpg

Just be aware that some plastic bags may chemically react with certain fountain pens.

I've been told 'traveling style' tooth brush containers make good storage compartments.

For me, all this work to get a pen to write ain't worth it.

I have vintage flex nibs that are great and require nothing of a writer but a light hand. They're certainly not fussy and I've never touched them except for routine flushing.

I also have modern and vintage nails that are bulletproof and will tolerate abuse and heavy hands.

I even have pens that Nathan restored back in the day--they're brilliant.

But the Noodlers pens aren't there yet, for me, at least.

I do agree, however, with the writer above who expects that the Noodlers pens will evolve as Nathan masters the bewildering complexities of mass production.

In the meantime, I'll happily use the Noodlers inks and wait for the prime time versions of the pens.

The pen is a pos. never got it to work from day one. Did every single fix that could be done to it. Promptly chucked the pen in the garbage.

Edited by I like mango cheesecake