Pilot Vp's

zquilts

I have considered trying a Pilot Vanishing Point for some time but have not had the extra funds to so. I would love to be convinced why I would love having one. Are the nibs like most Eastern nibs - tending towards fine? Have you had problems with the mechanisms? Are they comfortable to write with with the clip positioned where it is? Does anyone have a nib that was ground to a stub or CI?

As you can see I just need a nudge - and maybe after the holidays a good sale !

Thanks for you input

<!-- isHtml:1 --><!-- isHtml:1 --><a class='bbc_url' href='http://www.musingcrowdesigns.com'>Musing Crow Designs

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• zquilts

• GemMayhem

• pajaro

• professionaldilettante

Yes.

No.

I've had three, including a faceted stealth. The current version is the only one I found to be usable. YMMV.

I have a stub that was ground for my when I ordered it from Pendemonium.

My biggest problem is the converter doesn't hold enough ink.

My favorite go-to pen is a VP with a Binder CI nib. It makes my horrid handwriting acceptable and it write very smoothly. I carry that one with me all the time.

I have a second, with a M nib (definitely on the fine end of M) that is my desk pen.

If you're looking for someone to talk you out of the purchase, you've come to the wrong person. :lol:

Kristi

My photos on Flickr

Ask me about my purple pen addiction.

I found the "M" nibs to be about equivalent to a Western "M" (e.g., Waterman, Parker or Lamy). The "F" nibs are somewhat finer than their Western counterparts.

The "M" nibs are useable - but the "F" nibs are really superb. They have just the slightest amount of flexibility. The quality of these nibs should be reason enough to get a Vanishing Point!

I have around eight vp's. They are my work horses, I use them every day.

The retractable nib is a bonus, no caps to chase after and are very convenient for on the go writing.

The nib units are the easiest ever to interchange.

The converters hold little ink, but the proprietary cartridges hold a lot of ink. I refill cartridges with bottled in using a blunt end syringe, but pipettes, an eyedropper, or a syringe without a needle will work too, as these cartridges have wide mouths. One cartridge will last many refills with proper care and common sense. Don't squeeze the cartridges or you risk cracking and leaks, gravity will get ink flowing just fine.

I've had the nibs ground to CI's by both Pendemonium and by Richard Binder without problem. My favorite is the .5mm grind from Pendemonium, however I only use that nib on certain occasions. At work, it is the standard nib that is in use. I prefer medium nibs, but the fine is nice as well.

I've noticed that new nibs tend to squeak, but that goes away after a short bit.

I have not had any problems with the clip placement. Keeps my grip more to the tripod and I haven't had any problems. People I have let try my vp's have not been put off by or commented on the clip.

A little trick I learned from HDoug here, a tiny amount of car wax applied to the nib unit above the nib keeps nib creep from creeping up over the unit itself and seeping into the barrel. Nonetheless, I rinse out the barrels once in a while for the sake of it. I also gently clean the mouth of the pen now and again. The nib does retract into the barrel and some ink does get in every now and then, though my pens have not leaked onto my desk or paper.

The modern vp is pretty sturdy. My pens have survived an occasional knock to the floor. I don't recommend this practice every day, however.

Edited by kiavonne

Scribere est agere.

To write is to act.

Danitrio Fellowship

I have a VP with both medium and fine nib units, both from Richard Binder, and have carried it daily for almost a year. I originally ordered the medium expecting it to run toward the fine side. Perhaps due to Mr. Binder's tuning, I found the medium very smooth but very generous, producing a broader line than I care for. I am much happier with the fine. The converter does not hold a lot, but it is plenty enough to get me through a day or two. I often refill a cartridge however, and they hold plenty. The pen is all metal, and somewhat heavy, but I think it is very well balanced and I find the pen very comfortable and easy to hold, and have never had a hint of a problem with the mechanism.

While the pen certainly holds its own with any I have, of course the one-handed operation puts it over the top. The all-metal construction and one-hand operation make this pen as convenient to carry and use as a retractable ballpoint.

And if you still need a nudge, few pens come in as many different colors!

Adam

Dayton, OH

It is the glory of God to conceal a matter; to search out a matter is the glory of kings.

-- Prov 25:2

I've got a VP. Along with my parker Vacumatic, its my work horse. I love it. Nib is smooth, cartridge holds lots of ink, and its comfortable to use as well.

Current Rotation:

Pilot Vanishing Point Gun Metal Fine

Stipula Passaporto Medium

Visconti Homo Sapiens Steel Age Midi Medium

Your asking US why you should want a Pilot VP? Because you don't have one yet? The only 'problem' I can see is that they are like potato chips, you can't have just one!

(Shhh, Todd has them on sale at Isellpens on his specials page, their black but much more affordable!)

the Medium is just a touch on the small side of a western fine, the fine is an eastern fine. I don't have experience with the B, but I'll bet it's great!

Increase your IQ, use Linux AND a Fountain pen!!http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk11/79spitfire/Neko_animated.gif
http://fedoraproject.org/w/uploads/5/50/Fedorabutton-iusefedora.png

Okay - You have swung the pendulum . I have to try one ! Now I'll look for one that I can afford - after the holidays that may mean that I have to wait a - or maybe I'll sell or trade something -but that's okay! I'll go check out Todd's pieces and then a Binder stub or CI... thanks for all of the positive confirmation!

<!-- isHtml:1 --><!-- isHtml:1 --><a class='bbc_url' href='http://www.musingcrowdesigns.com'>Musing Crow Designs

Definitely a fun pen to use. I sold mine a while back and sort of regretted it. I just took advantage of the Levenger 25% off coupon and picked up a carbonesque version.

My only complaint with the VP was that the nib seemed overly sensitive to oils on the page. It would write just fine at the top of the page but as I progressed, it would get really finicky when writing over areas where my hand had rested. I noticed this with my 78G as well so it probably something with Pilot nibs. Regardless, the VP is just too cool of a pen not to own one so... that's what you need to do. :)

- Brad -

My medium writes a true medium. I expected it to be on the fine side, but I wasn't disappointed because my medium is soooo smooth. I purchased from the Goulets, so no tweaking. My GF's is also great. Pilot has GREAT out of the box nibs. Especially on these VPs.

Just got mine so might be going through purchase justification, but I bought a Decimo that I was pretty sure I wouldn't really want. I was planning to get a Custom 74 with an SF nib, but I really liked the feel of the Capless F nib on the different papers I tried. It's not as fine as my Prera, but it's in the realm of my TWSBI and Edison EFs. The feel of the nib on the paper was what convinced me; I was and am not really swayed by the convenience aspect of the click mechanism.

I will probably go back for the 74 sometime, but I don't yet regret the Decimo at all. If I'd never tried it, I don't think I'd even seriously consider it. May not be for everyone, but might surprise some.

Robert.

My VP has a stock medium nib & I feel it writes more like a Western medium. Very smooth right out of the box :wub: Now I want one in white with a fine or stub nib.

Definitely try one out if you can, because the clip placement can be a make it or break it part of this pen. I just place my fingers over the top of it & hold the pen as I normally would.

~Jaime

(she/her)

I have found that the 18K nibs write on the fine side, and that the 14K nibs write a bit wetter and wider.

The pen is a great gadget, kind of like a Mouli or a Slicer Dicer or the car wash gadget for $19.95. I use it every bit as often. What, never heard of a Mouli?

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Okay - You have swung the pendulum . I have to try one ! Now I'll look for one that I can afford - after the holidays that may mean that I have to wait a - or maybe I'll sell or trade something -but that's okay! I'll go check out Todd's pieces and then a Binder stub or CI... thanks for all of the positive confirmation!

Today only, on www.pencity.com, you can get 40% off of your entire order with the coupon code "CYBER"

That means you can get a Pilot Vanishing Point for $79 (plus shipping)!! You absolutely cannot beat that price. I just pulled the trigger on one, after I've been wanting one for ages.

Today only, on www.pencity.com, you can get 40% off of your entire order with the coupon code "CYBER"

That means you can get a Pilot Vanishing Point for $79 (plus shipping)!! You absolutely cannot beat that price. I just pulled the trigger on one, after I've been wanting one for ages.

Ack! I wish I had known this before I placed my order with Levenger. That is an amazing price for this pen!

- Brad -

DOH! I have TWO now, and Christmas to pay for! :headsmack:

but, but hun, it's a VP! :crybaby:

:ltcapd:

Increase your IQ, use Linux AND a Fountain pen!!http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk11/79spitfire/Neko_animated.gif
http://fedoraproject.org/w/uploads/5/50/Fedorabutton-iusefedora.png

AAAAAAAARGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHKKKKKKKKKK

I should have looked to see if there were any new replies yesterday! I had my "watch" set for delay. public/style_emoticons/default/crybaby.gif I feel like I may never get a VP. I almost bought one on Ebay but when I looked at the seller's negative feedback (even though total positive was 99.3 ) it made me decide to wait and buy from a reputable dealer when I am able to. Let's face it the holidays are not when you're supposed to buy yourself a present - especially government jobs are teeter tottering! Thanks for telling about the sale though !

A friend let me try his and then I just had to have one. Love it, especially when doing puzzles, so nice to be able to easily click it closed while pondering my next move.

Sheaffer Targa - Parker Penman Sapphire----- Luoshi - Silk Road Green

Twsbi - Noodler's North African Violet-----Lamy Vista - Noodler's Marine Green

WTB Lamy Terracotta and Savannah, Sweden LE, Japan LE

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd273/BrownEyedGirl248/Avatars/InkDrop.jpgMember since 1-28-11