Matching Ink Colour To Pen Colour?

PDW

Apologies if this has already been asked, but I'm looking at my Esties and wondering which one to ink next, and what colour of ink to use. I do like matching ink and pen colours - to see Diamine Syrah coming out of a copper LJ with an Osmiroid gold-plated nib was a wonderful experience.

So, before I select the pen and open the ink bottle I thought I'd ask you all what do you do to match things ...

Edited by PDW

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PDW

• seanruss

• dcpritch

• The Blue Knight

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't match. If I did, I would limit myself quite a bit and not be able to enjoy all the different colors available.

I don't match. If I did, I would limit myself quite a bit and not be able to enjoy all the different colors available.

Hhhmmm - for me that's the joy of Esties - so many different colours and subtle shades in the colluloid that the matching becomes an intelelctual exercise.

Edited by PDW

I do match ink color in a few of my Esties:

Brown/Copper pen has vintage Carter's Harvest Brown

Lovely streaky green pen is inked with Diamine Sherwood Green

Red Estie is inked with vintage Sheaffer's Skrip Pemanent Red

Black pen inked with Noodler's Bad Belted Kingfisher

Blue Estie inked with Van Gogh Starry Night

Silver Estie inked with Lexington Gray or the very lovely Noodler's Purple Martin.

Sometimes I will put Noodler's Turquoise in my Copper Estie, there is a pleasing contrast there.

I have a very lovely deep red, merlot wine colored Esterbrook SJ, it get's a lovely matching vintage ink, Sandford's Dubonnet

fpn_1322335157__dscn1562.jpg

Edited by kathleen

"Be glad of life because it gives you the chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars" ~Henry Van Dyke

Trying to rescue and restore all the beautiful Esties to their purpose.

Sadly, I do. :embarrassed_smile:

That is why i have 3spice racks on my desk

that hold three dozen different bottles if ink

(without duplications...the dups are in a bix nearby).

The only pens that I play variety with are the gold pens

and the black pens.

I love writing with my Visconti Micholangelo and watching

Private Reserve Black Cherry flow from the antique rose gold nib.

My white Pelikan tourtiouse shell will never have anything in it except Noodlers Army.

I searched for the right shade of ink to put in it for months.

My Omas Bronze Arco has only had PR Copper Burst in it.

What is an addict to do? :happyberet:

Yep, I match 'em. Except for black or white pens, and I'm ok with any color ink in those. I also usually pick a pen to "go with" an ink that I love. For example, my next 2 pen purchases are going to be a White Lamy Safari w/ a 1.1 nib for my Noodler's Navy obsession--then a Pilot Prera demonstrator w/ green ends to go with R&K Alt Goldgrun. :bunny01:

Hee hee, was that TMI? :embarrassed_smile:

I match as well. The only exceptions are pens that don't really match anything well - silver or an old Sheaffer black and pearl flat top. Since this is an Estie forum, though, we'll pretend those don't exist ;)

Blue is either Noodler's Baystate Blue or Private Reserve Tropical Blue, and green is Private Reserve Sherwood Green.

BLM

Some I do, and some I don't.

Red J - Diamine Red Dragon (awesome color)

Red Dollar - Diamine Red Dragon

Brown J - Noodler's #41 Brown

Blue J - Waterman Blue/black

Green Streaky J - Diamine Woodland Green

Another Green J - Noodler's Hunter Green

Blue Dollar - Hero washable blue

Blue Dollar - Diamine Majestic Blue (non-awesome ink)

Black Trans - Noodler's Purple Wampum

Silver SJ - Noodler's Purple Wampum

Brown LJ - Noodler's Luxury Blue

Green Demi Dollar - Luxury Blue

Silver Demi Dollar - Noodler's #41 Brown (smoooooth nib)

Eversharp Skyline Maroon - PR Black Cherry

A lot of inked up pens, HUH? But I do take one to work every day. and probably more that I just can't think of now.

Sean

I do match ink color in a few of my Esties:

Brown/Copper pen has vintage Carter's Harvest Brown

Lovely streaky green pen is inked with Diamine Sherwood Green

Red Estie is inked with vintage Sheaffer's Skrip Pemanent Red

Black pen inked with Noodler's Bad Belted Kingfisher

Blue Estie inked with Van Gogh Starry Night

Silver Estie inked with Lexington Gray or the very lovely Noodler's Purple Martin.

Sometimes I will put Noodler's Turquoise in my Copper Estie, there is a pleasing contrast there.

I have a very lovely deep red, merlot wine colored Esterbrook SJ, it get's a lovely matching vintage ink, Sandford's Dubonnet

fpn_1322335157__dscn1562.jpg

I like those 9788/2788 nibs. I have one of each, but both are clogged and don't flow ink at all. they sure write nice though!

Yeah, that I do. My red J was one of my first pens, and I have had it inked with Noodler's Tianamen Red since I got a cap for the pen. Marvellous.

I do match ink color in a few of my Esties ...

Seeing Kathleen's post reminded me of a picture I took last Spring of some Esties loaded with vintage inks. I agree that one of the fun parts of owning such colorful pens is finding inks to match or contrast. Here's the photo from an earlier thread:

fpn_1322852233__esterbrook_pens_-_vintage_inks.jpg

How small of all that human hearts endure,
That part which laws or kings can cause or cure.

— Samuel Johnson

Instagram: dcpritch

I do match ink color in a few of my Esties ...

Seeing Kathleen's post reminded me of a picture I took last Spring of some Esties loaded with vintage inks. I agree that one of the fun parts of owning such colorful pens is finding inks to match or contrast.

OP comment: :drool:

But, given your success, may I humbly ask whether you have any opinion on what modern inks are closest to your matches?

... what modern inks are closest to your matches?

Hmmm, I think Kathleen might have the best answers to that question, but I've had some nice matches as follows:

Red J: Noodler's Antietam and BSIER, Visconti Bordeaux, JH 1670 Anniversary, MB Ink of Love

Green J: Noodler's Gruene Cactus and Green Marine, PR Spearmint

Copper J: JH Orange Indien, PR Copper Burst, Pelikan Brilliant Brown, Diamine Burnt Sienna

Blue LJ: Sailor sei-boku nano ink, Noodler's Ottoman Azure, Waterman Florida Blue, Pelikan Royal Blue, Sheaffer Skrip Blue, R&K Salix

Black J: you pick!

I'll be interested what others think.

How small of all that human hearts endure,
That part which laws or kings can cause or cure.

— Samuel Johnson

Instagram: dcpritch

For a black J, how about Noodler's Dark Matter - matches in terms of 'vintage feel' even if a closer colour match might be possible!

• 2 years later...

I only like blue and purple inks really so I use what ever combination. Also I don't really own enough inks to do this yet.