• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wimg

• USMCMom

• WendyNC

• esterbex

It's very reassuring to read that people IN THE MIDDLE EAST crybaby.gif have received their pens so that the rest of us at least know they are on their way.

ON THE OTHER HAND, it makes the waiting all that much harder to know others are enjoying theirs while I haven't even a whiff of mine. I say next time we put together a tour group to the country where the pens are being made and we all go and pick them up together! wink.gif

Phone calls last just minutes, emails get deleted, but letters live forever.

Received my chrome Passporto today. Great timing as the DHL truck drove up right as I was about to leave for work. Filled it up with Ottoman Azure (the only blue I had) once I got there. Took a bit of writing to get it flowing, so probably needed to flush it first. But was excited to have it.

Thanks to FPN!

Where do you live? I need to know how close the trucks are getting to California.

Phone calls last just minutes, emails get deleted, but letters live forever.

Chrome Passaporto showed up this a.m. at 0730! I had no idea DHL delivered that early. Normally we would have been up (it's a workday for me) but I'm taking the day off due to a sore back.

Guess I know which pen will be inked today -- number 43 of 200! :)

Debbie

Chrome Passaporto showed up this a.m. at 0730! I had no idea DHL delivered that early. Normally we would have been up (it's a workday for me) but I'm taking the day off due to a sore back.

Guess I know which pen will be inked today -- number 43 of 200! :)

Debbie

Mine is out for delivery. :bunny01: :bunny01: :bunny01: :bunny01: :bunny01: Hurry, Hurry, Hurry. I don't think my driver is driving fast enough. :gaah:

Soli Deo Gloria

Shameless plug - Some of my amateur photography.

Mine seems to have been at Heathrow Airport for the last two days... I know Europe is a lovely place, and you don't want to leave, but there is a lovely home waiting for you here in Canada, Little Pen. :unsure:

Yay! My gold trim Passaporto arrived around 9:00 a.m. today on the lower West coast of the U.S.

Like others have mentioned, I am struck by how teeeny it is, much shorter when capped than my Tuckies, but when posted seems like it will be quite comfy. I've got time this afternoon to do a proper flush and then fill it up with ink. I'm so glad I chose the gold, it really does go well with this shade of blue, and the numbers came out really nice - 20/50.

Thanks again to Wim and ALL the FPN people who helped to bring about such a nice project.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Received my chrome Passporto today. Great timing as the DHL truck drove up right as I was about to leave for work. Filled it up with Ottoman Azure (the only blue I had) once I got there. Took a bit of writing to get it flowing, so probably needed to flush it first. But was excited to have it.

Thanks to FPN!

Where do you live? I need to know how close the trucks are getting to California.

Just curious (newbie here), but what is a "flush" and why/how does a new pen benefit from it?

Just curious (newbie here), but what is a "flush" and why/how does a new pen benefit from it?

A fairly common pen practice, for new pens and/or NOS pens, is to flush the pen before putting the first ink in it. Many pens, when fresh from the factory, will still have some residue of oils and other materials within the feed and nib, part of the manufacturing process. While it seems like this would be something that would be taken care of at the manufacturer, it is a simple process. Most recommend tap water with just a drop or two of liquid dish detergent. Fill the pen a few times and expel, and then repeat the procedure with plain water. This should remove not only any light coatings but any small objects, dirt, etc. Especially NOS (New Old Stock) pens, which, while technically new, may have been sitting for a long time, will benefit from this procedure.

I hope that was clear, others can chime in.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

A fairly common pen practice, for new pens and/or NOS pens, is to flush the pen before putting the first ink in it. Many pens, when fresh from the factory, will still have some residue of oils and other materials within the feed and nib, part of the manufacturing process. While it seems like this would be something that would be taken care of at the manufacturer, it is a simple process. Most recommend tap water with just a drop or two of liquid dish detergent. Fill the pen a few times and expel, and then repeat the procedure with plain water. This should remove not only any light coatings but any small objects, dirt, etc. Especially NOS (New Old Stock) pens, which, while technically new, may have been sitting for a long time, will benefit from this procedure.

I hope that was clear, others can chime in.

Thanks Jon, that was very helpful. If I've already inked a new pen, is it too late (or unnecessary) to flush it? Its an inexpensive Kaigelu and it seems kind of scratchy and skips a little.

Thanks Jon, that was very helpful. If I've already inked a new pen, is it too late (or unnecessary) to flush it? Its an inexpensive Kaigelu and it seems kind of scratchy and skips a little.

Well, honestly, I don't think it could hurt! If it is inexpensive, I'm guessing it uses a cartridge? In any event, just take out the cartridge, convertor, or empty it of ink if an eye-dropper. Then go through the flush routine, and be sure to dry it thoroughly. While the worst thing might be slightly diluted ink if it doesn't all get dry, a good trick is to set the pen in a glass with a paper towel or similar wadded at the bottom, with the nib resting in the paper. Setting it like that should draw all the moisture out. Once clean and dry you can re-ink the pen and go from there, bearing in mind you need to get the ink flowing again, by shaking, lightly tapping the tip, squeezing the cartridge, or any other of a number of ways to make that happen.

Heck, I should have saved myself some typing: Teri Morris, who owns Peyton Street Pens, and sells a lot of NOS pens (happy customer here!) has instructions on how to clean and prepare the pen. You'll find the info here.

~ Benjamin Franklin

Hooray! My little Passaporto arrived a few minutes ago!

What a pretty little pen! And me without camera or inks at work today.... Hm... thinking about popping the cartridge that's in my Mb 100-Year into the Passaporto.... Or will I have the patience to wait 'til I get home?

The white swirling is more subtle than I expected and more tantalizing (I'm always saying, "A little goes a long way."). It's sweet!

Huge thanks to Wim and the Admin and Stipula for making this happen! Hooray!

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

Do you get a tracking number when yours ships?

Yes, you do. The moment we receive updates from Etruria, we try to process them and send the accompanying tracking numbers to the owners-to-be of the new pen(s) :D. We generally get updates every few (working) days.

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

We generally get updates every few (working) days.

Warm regards, Wim

Any word on projected shipment of Modello T's? I hope they get here (U.S.) before Christmas!

We generally get updates every few (working) days.

Warm regards, Wim

Any word on projected shipment of Modello T's? I hope they get here (U.S.) before Christmas!

Last week there were none yet, and I expect another shipment update tomorrow evening, so I am keeping my fingers crossed.

We were promised they would all be shipped before Christmas, all meaning all pens.

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

As I feared, DHL is going to make this challenging. Supposedly, they attempted delivery at 4:06 this afternoon--in Morrisville, NC which is 30+ miles away. I was home (sick), my husband had been home for more than 10 minutes, and we have three dogs who go off if anyone so much as uses "their" road--and they didn't. There's no notice at either the front or the side door. It will be interesting to see what happens next.

Here's what it says on their site:

Monday, December 12, 2011 Location Time 16 Delivery attempted; recipient not home MORRISVILLE, NC - USA 16:06

Edited by WendyNC

I came here for the pictures and stayed for the conversation.

As I feared, DHL is going to make this challenging. Supposedly, they attempted delivery at 4:06 this afternoon--in Morrisville, NC which is 30+ miles away. I was home (sick), my husband had been home for more than 10 minutes, and we have three dogs who go off if anyone so much as uses "their" road--and they didn't. There's no notice at either the front or the side door. It will be interesting to see what happens next.

Here's what it says on their site:

Monday, December 12, 2011 Location Time 16 Delivery attempted; recipient not home MORRISVILLE, NC - USA 16:06

Hi Wendy,

I sent them an email on your behalf, if you don't mind. You may try to contact them too at 1-800-225-5345 if you so like.

HTH, warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

Wim, I just saw that! Wow--and thanks! I certainly appreciate all you're doing.

Edited to add that what I saw was DHL's auto-response in my inbox.

Edited by WendyNC

I came here for the pictures and stayed for the conversation.