M200 on an airplane ?

GregPQ

I've searched FPN for this, but haven't come up with anything. Here goes.

Does anyone have experience travelling on an airplane with an M200 or similar Pelikan? Of course I want to know if they will leak.

Ideally I would like to fill up my M200 and not have to carry a separate bottle of ink.

Do they travel well on a full stomach, so to speak? ;)

Greg

Lamy Safari 1.1mm stub

Pilot VP w/Binder .6mm stub

Pelikan M200 F

Pelikan M215 Italic

Waterman Phileas

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HDoug

• ConnallMac

• Waterman

• jsonewald

Hi, I've flown with my M200 full and half-full (or half empty =( if you want to think that way) There's been no problem, I can even write fine in the air; in fact, the only problem I've had is with the new prohibition against fluids (they now let it go if it's under 3 fl. ozs).

Happy Flying =)

Hi! I have travelled with My M760, filled fully. No hassel at all! No leakage, no problem in mid-air wrting! Perfect. B)

My guess for M200, as well, being a lever fill will not pose any problem! <_<

My 605 has made several flights without a problem. The only precaution I take is to make sure it is generally resting nib upward during take-off and landing.

If it's one of the M200 demonstrators you will be able to check for any leakage as the flight progresses, and more importantly, BEFORE you uncap it. I've never taken an FP on flight, but this is making me curious.

Doug

Do they let you carry a FP filled with ink onboard? Last thing I want is for customs to touch my pens or maybe conviscate it because they see the nib as a "weapon" or somehting like that.

Thanks

Brad

I had no issues this summer when I took my Pelikan Go! with me while flying to Buffalo.

I didn't write with it, but it suffered no ill effects from flying full.

--J. Haney

I recently had two Pilot Gel pens confiscated by TSA -- while flying interisland (Oahu to Kona on the Big Island)! They let my Bics pass, and they didn't catch my VP. But my VP is now equipped with a Binder cursive italic nib and there's no way I'll be chancing putting that in my carry-on in the future.

Doug

I recently had two Pilot Gel pens confiscated by TSA -- while flying interisland (Oahu to Kona on the Big Island)! They let my Bics pass, and they didn't catch my VP. But my VP is now equipped with a Binder cursive italic nib and there's no way I'll be chancing putting that in my carry-on in the future.

Doug

I have to wonder what the logic was behind taking the Pilot gel pens, but leaving the ballpoint pens? That makes no sense to me, unless these TSA workers just happen to like Pilot gels.....

--J. Haney

• 16 years later...
On 12/4/2006 at 7:48 PM, Waterman said:

Do they let you carry a FP filled with ink onboard? Last thing I want is for customs to touch my pens or maybe conviscate it because they see the nib as a "weapon" or somehting like that.

Thanks

Brad

The only problem I ever had was actually going through the x-ray screening one time -- I had a pen clipped to my neckline and they made me take it off and put it in a bin, before going through the scanner.  And then someone put another bin on top of the one with my pen in it, and I had to dig through to get my pen back.  But, no, no problems like you're worried about.  I've also used pens mid-flight.  

I actually got more grief from TSA (and also from security at a hospital ER) for having metal DP needles....  And, on a flight back from Spokane, Washington a few years ago, for having facial cleanser and astringent in my carry-on bag -- which were confiscated! -- because they were more than 4 oz (but they didn't blink an eye at the ziplock bag with ink sample vials in my purse...).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Just flew six takeoffs and landings worth with my Pelikans (100N, 400 & 400). Zero issues, planes were Airbus A320 and A350 (IIRC). Pressurized cabins are pretty dang safe for fountain pens.