Sleeve / Thumb Filling Pen Chronology

sztainbok

Sorry for late answer, got busy and mail notifications seems no to work...

The position for the Weidlich one is the same and also the rotating system. Both Ferris patents are quite different. But there is no trace of the mechanism. For its position also the Barret one (http://www.fountainpen.it/File:Patent-US-1038068.pdf) seems similar. But the best candidate is the Baumel one (http://www.fountainpen.it/File:Patent-US-1169603.pdf) that seem to have a metallic pin.

It's difficult to see which one is the right one, because it is quite normal to have differences between patents and real production.

Simone

Thanks for the reply Simone. As you say it is hard to tell what patent this pen was made to. The Baumel patent shows the pin attached to the sleeve and the groove in the barrel, In the case of this pen it is the other way around. Being an Aikin Lambert pen you tend to think about the relationship with Ferris and Waterman. But again it may just be an Aikin Lambert nib on another maker's pen...

Victor.

• 2 years later...
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sztainbok

• simp

• DanDeM

• Penprophet

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have recently purchased a Sanford and Bennett sleeve fill pen, which appears to have been made under US patent 807500, granted December 19 1905, that you can find here. Below are pictures of this pen.

fpn_1453666553__picture_9.jpg

fpn_1453666476__picture_10.jpg

I cleaned and disassembled the pen in order to replace the calcified sac.

Some elements appear to indicate that this pen is in fact made following patent 807500. The pressure bar is a single straight bar, according to the patent text it is designed like that to increase ink capacity without increasing barrel diameter and should be cemented to the sac .

Where my pen differs from the description in the patent is in that the patent shows two threads identified with letters b and c that have the purpose of securing the sliding part of the barrel in the open and in the closed position and they are not present in the pen.

The barrel of the pen is marked:

SANFORD & BENNETT CO.

"AUTO PEN"

NEW YORK - REG. U.S. PAT. OFF.

I would appreciate if someone could help determine if this pen is actually constructed based on patent 807500 of if there is some other patent covering this construction.

Thank you,

Victor.

Edited by sztainbok

And yet another design question.

This vest pocket overlay made by W.S. Hicks has no patent marking on either

the exterior or interior of the pen. The pressure bar is 4.5 cm and floats within

the sleeve; that is, it is not physically attached to the interior sleeve. The result

is that when pressed, the entire bar, not just one end, collapses all but the full

length of the sac.

http://i556.photobucket.com/albums/ss2/DanDeM38/WS%20Hicks/WS%20Hicks%20Silver%20Sleeve/Hicks%20Silver%20Sleeve%20-%204_zpstlncngrg.jpg

Any thoughts to its origin?

I have a Laughlin sleeve filler in its original box with the original directions on how to fill the pen. It is imprinted on the barrel with the patent date of Oct 29, 1912. That patent is listed in the OP of this thread. I thought y'all might enjoy seeing the pen made by that patent design and the accompanying materials.

This pen was in outstanding condition when I got it. I replaced the ink sac, polished the brass pressure bar, and generally cleaned the pen. It has a wonderfully flexible nib and writes like new. The pen is very well made and sturdy. Feels like it would stand up to regular use for a long time.

fpn_1453818332__laughlin_sleeve_filler_u

fpn_1453818378__laughlin_sleeve_filler_p

fpn_1453818430__laughlin_sleeve_filler_p

fpn_1453818467__laughlin_sleeve_filler_b

The Moonwalk Pen - honoring Apollo lunar landings
4-x-2-advertisement-copy-reduced-size.jp

• 2 months later...

I am not well versed in the patents, but I am adding photos of my sleeve fillers in case it might add to the discussion.

The first is a Lakeside. The filling bar is exposed by rotating the gripping section, which rotates the sac guard.. The bar is loose/not attached to anything, and unmarked. The pen is very worn and only the LAKESIDE marking on the barrel is visible. Threaded cap with a faint imprint reading "TURN" and hand with pointing a finger.

The second pen is totally unmarked. Warranted Nib. Slip cone cap. Pressure bar is attached at the end of the barrel - based on how it moves, possibly like a J bar?

Third pen is an Eagle Snap Shot. The end knob rotates the inner sac guard to expose the bar, which is attached. Threaded cap. No patents on pen. Just "Eagle Pencil Co New York" On the exposed cover when closed, it reads "Eagle Snap Shot, PAT APPL'D FOR"

Next pen (short one with floral gold cap band) is Latremore Pen Exchange (on nib). Threaded cap. Inner metal portion is hexagonal. Bar unattached. Imprint on barrel, LATREMORE'S AUT..... (worn off), next line U.S. PAT. 969198 (which seems to be a cap patent per Google search?)

Fifth pen, the only one with clip, has a cylindrical inner sleeve and a detached bar matching the curve of the barrel. It is marked on the barrel:

-LAUGHLIN -

PATS. OCT. 29 - 12

DETROIT MICH U.S.A.

Finally a Waterman plain HR marked 12 SF on end of barrel. Slip cone cap.

The bar is marked Pat'd Mar 1, 1910

The barrel has several dates around the globe logo

PAT'D 1884

MAY 23, 1899

AUG 4, 1903

fpn_1459739309__sleeves_01.jpgfpn_1459739321__sleeves_03.jpg

• 3 years later...
I would appreciate if someone could help determine if this pen is actually constructed based on patent 807500 of if there is some other patent covering this construction.

Sorry for a very late answer, I follow FPN seldom.

I cannot say it for sure, but there is a strong indication that your pen is using 807500, because while the inventor was William W. Sanford, the patent has also Frederick D. Bennett as assignee. So it's reasonable to think that your pen is based on this patent.

Simone

Fountain Pen Wiki - www.FountainPen.it

Fountain pen Chronology (need help to improve...)

Old advertisement (needing new ones to enlarge the gallery...)

Third pen is an Eagle Snap Shot. The end knob rotates the inner sac guard to expose the bar, which is attached. Threaded cap. No patents on pen. Just "Eagle Pencil Co New York" On the exposed cover when closed, it reads "Eagle Snap Shot, PAT APPL'D FOR"

This one could be 1051670 (see https://www.fountainpen.it/File:Patent-US-1051670.pdf)

Next pen (short one with floral gold cap band) is Latremore Pen Exchange (on nib). Threaded cap. Inner metal portion is hexagonal. Bar unattached. Imprint on barrel, LATREMORE'S AUT..... (worn off), next line U.S. PAT. 969198 (which seems to be a cap patent per Google search?)

969198 is assigned to Sanford and Bennet, so the filler can be the 807500 (see

https://www.fountainpen.it/File:Patent-US-807500.pdf) that's also from Sanford and Bennet.

Fifth pen, the only one with clip, has a cylindrical inner sleeve and a detached bar matching the curve of the barrel. It is marked on the barrel:

-LAUGHLIN -

PATS. OCT. 29 - 12

DETROIT MICH U.S.A.

This one is 1042695 or 1042804 both in the same date, both assigned to Laughlin (see https://www.fountainpen.it/File:Patent-US-1042695.pdf and https://www.fountainpen.it/File:Patent-US-1042804.pdf)

Finally a Waterman plain HR marked 12 SF on end of barrel. Slip cone cap.

The bar is marked Pat'd Mar 1, 1910

The barrel has several dates around the globe logo

PAT'D 1884

MAY 23, 1899

AUG 4, 1903

This should be 950817 (see https://www.fountainpen.it/File:Patent-US-950817.pdf)

Simone

Fountain Pen Wiki - www.FountainPen.it

Fountain pen Chronology (need help to improve...)

Old advertisement (needing new ones to enlarge the gallery...)