Sleeve / Thumb Filling Pen Chronology

sztainbok

I am interested on knowing <SNIP> W. I. Ferris' patent 799897 were ever produced.

Waterman's did produce a thumb filling pen (I have one at home), and I believe that the above is the relevant patent.

Dave

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sztainbok

• simp

• DanDeM

• Penprophet

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would appreciate your help in correcting and expanding the information on the chart.

A small nit to pick regarding the Mooney patent referenced in your table... The pens were actually manufactured by the CE Barrett company and sold to various second tier makers (the most well-known of which is Century, at least as pertains to thumb fillers). Thus, in addition to Century, the exact same thumb filling mechanism is found on Lakeside pens (and perhaps others).

Dave

I am interested on knowing <SNIP> W. I. Ferris' patent 799897 were ever produced.

Waterman's did produce a thumb filling pen (I have one at home), and I believe that the above is the relevant patent.

Dave

Thanks for the input. After I finished writing my post I found an example in David Nishimura's website. Here is the link. http://www.vintagepens.com/catill_Waterman_2.shtml

I would appreciate your help in correcting and expanding the information on the chart.

A small nit to pick regarding the Mooney patent referenced in your table... The pens were actually manufactured by the CE Barrett company and sold to various second tier makers (the most well-known of which is Century, at least as pertains to thumb fillers). Thus, in addition to Century, the exact same thumb filling mechanism is found on Lakeside pens (and perhaps others).

Dave

Thanks for the input. I will update the table in a week or so, hoping for more inpot.

Victor.

Hi everybody. I just came across another thread that is investigating pens made using Hamilton's patent No. 781649. Several companies that manufactured this design under license were identified. If you are interested, follow this link, there are many pictures showing those pens. https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/146798-how-many-eclipses/page__gopid__2234838&do=findComment&comment=2234838

You can also find a picture of an pen marked American Ftn pen Co. with this construction here: http://www.estilogra...lf-filler-2-50/

Victor.

Edited by sztainbok

You can also find a picture of an pen marked American Ftn pen Co. with this construction here: http://www.estilogra...lf-filler-2-50/

Thanks for posting this. I've had a bit of an interest in American Fountain Pen Company for some time now, but this is the first I've ever seen of a sleeve filling variant. Very interesting how the profile of the pen seems to be indistinguishable from the usual Moore's safety, with the imprint being the only externally distinguishing feature. Thank you for pointing this one out.

Dave

Thanks for posting this. I've had a bit of an interest in American Fountain Pen Company for some time now, but this is the first I've ever seen of a sleeve filling variant. Very interesting how the profile of the pen seems to be indistinguishable from the usual Moore's safety, with the imprint being the only externally distinguishing feature. Thank you for pointing this one out.

Dave

Dave, and if you go to the thread I linked in the same post, you will see a pen that looks exactly the same, but it is marked ECLIPSE. It seems that the American Fountain Pen Company was selling private branded pens.

Victor.

Edited by sztainbok

Today I found in Google patents, the patent for the LeBoeuf sleeve filling system with the full barrel sliding system and means of retention.

Patent No. 1851257

Inventor: Eugene Le Boeuf

Application date: May 3, 1930

Date assigned: March 29, 1932

Victor.

I have one (that I can think of right now) that I believe can be attributed to Sanford & Bennett. I originally thought it was an Aikin Lambert, but now know this is not the case as the mechanism is different (so those poking around at the name of the image will note I have called it an Aikin):

http://www.esterbrook.net/collection/alcosleeve.jpg

http://www.esterbrook.net/collection/alcosleeveo.jpg

http://www.esterbrook.net/collection/alcosleeveopen.jpg

Cheers!

Brian

Brian, this is a beautiful pen.

If this pen was made using the Sanford and Bennett patent No. 807500, http://www.google.co...=807500&f=false the sleeve would have inside threads that engage on the nib side of the barrel when closed and with the other side of the barrel in the open position. I read the patent and was not quite able to visualize how it works. I would appreciate if you could clarify how it works.

Thank you,

Victor.

Edited by sztainbok

OK,

Finally found the patent for Parker 51 Aerometric filling system.

I must say that the innovations are much more than defining it as a sleeve filler with a removable barrel.

The patent No. is 2612867

Inventors: Marlin S. Baker and Harlan H. Zodtner

Assigned to the Parker Pen Company

Application date: August 23, 1948

Patented: October 7, 1952

My understanding is that Ferris produced a sleeve filler where the end pulled open rather than the sleeve that LEWaterman used after they got his patent. The pen was called the Good Pen Co and had a pagtent date of May 19,1905. The two examples I know of are both silver filagrees--Bonhams sold a #2 size and I have a #5 for which I traded a silver Hog ring. Both pens had Waterman nibs and feeds!big

I tried to attach a picture but the file is too large

Mark

This is a beartiful pen Mark. Patent No.799897 is the Ferris patent dated Sept. 19, 1905, Reading the patent, I see that the thumb slot is exposed by rotating the sleeve. Is that the way your pen works?

Victor.

This is a beartiful pen Mark. Patent No.799897 is the Ferris patent dated Sept. 19, 1905, Reading the patent, I see that the thumb slot is exposed by rotating the sleeve. Is that the way your pen works?

Victor.

No-- the entire end of the pen pulls down to expose the thumb filler. Similar to Le Beouf many years later. It is not a sleeve like the later Waterman pens or a turning filler like the Century.

Mark

No-- the entire end of the pen pulls down to expose the thumb filler. Similar to Le Beouf many years later. It is not a sleeve like the later Waterman pens or a turning filler like the Century.

Mark

Mark, Here is a link to the Ferris patente No. 799897 http://www.google.co...ved=0CDcQ6AEwAQ

It seems to me that the construction of your pen is more like in the Hamilton patent No. 781649. However the patent date on the pen points to the Ferris patent. May be we are missing another Ferris patent with the same date?

Victor.

Edited by sztainbok

• 9 months later...

I just received an Aikin Lambert rotary sleeve pen. It is a BHR pen with a rotating sleeve that has a slot and a pin fixed to the barrel that is trapped inside the slot, preventing the sleeve from coming out and limiting the rotation to an appropriate angle. There are no markings on the pen and the nib is marked 14KT ALCo. U.S.A. with no Iridium left on it.

There is a pressure bar covered by the sleeve when it is closed. The sac is crumbled.

Given the relationship Between Aikin Lambert and Waterman, and having reviewed the rotating sleeve patents we came about in this thread, I venture to say that this pen was made under the Ferris patent 799.897 granted on September 19 1905. This patent does not include the slot feature, but none of the other rotary sleeve patents identified in this thread do. Perhaps we are missing some patents for this kind of feature. The Ferris patent shows some sort of a lip and bead instead, but the Remex pens in David Nishimura's site don't seem to have that arrangement.

I would like some help to confirm or not this assumption and to find what patent this pen was made to.

Thanks, Victor.

post-14671-0-79565000-1354826057.jpg

post-14671-0-52377600-1354826216.jpg

post-14671-0-14066600-1354826232.jpg

I had a closer look at Nishimura's pictures of the Remex pen and it does have the lip and bead construction to prevent the sleeve from sliding out. Here is the link to Nishimura's picture of the Remex.

Edited by sztainbok