:( Noodler's Bulletproof Black On My Khaki Pants.

Scintillation

Yesterday, I accidentally left my piston-fill pen uncapped in my pant pocket. Usually, there is no problem, because the pen is capped, and it work out alright. But, it seemed that the nib of the pen touched the fabric of my pants, and all of the ink came out.

Unfortunately, what I discovered is that most khaki pants (like mine) are made of 100% cotton/90% cellulose. Yes, this probably means my pants are ruined. Has anyone discovered a solution to get rid of the stains?

Also, this begs me to ask a question as to what would be a better location for my pen. This happened to me one other time, but because I was wearing jeans, it wasn't noticeable, and I didn't bother trying to wash it. But on Khaki pants, it is very noticeable. I have heard that some members put their pens on their shirt, but I have received several comments about how that doesn't look very good. Additionally, since most of my shirts are made out of cotton, that would also be an issue. Maybe I should just put my pen in my bag (although I do want my pen available all the time)?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ehemem

• Scintillation

• kernando

• Silent Speaker

Well...

How much BPB do you have left?

Ever fancied a black pair of trousers?

;)

I have heard that some members put their pens on their shirt, but I have received several comments about how that doesn't look very good.

Some members? Pen clips have existed for what, nearly 100 years?

Do you wear a pocket protector or something? Is someone calling you a nerd?

Pish posh!

I certainly think a pen clipped snuggly in a top pocket feels better than it sticking uncomfortably in ones pants, shifting around every time one sits down (and, depending on the... ahem* size of the pen, perhaps even giving people distinctly the wrong impression!).

That's why there clip is there! Use it or buy a leather slip case for it and pop that in your pocket.

Edited by Silent Speaker

Two solutions for guys who like to carry their pen in their trouser pocket:

1. Pen case - my favorite is the Montblanc Florence Case - built like a cigar tube

http://i477.photobucket.com/albums/rr131/yachtsilverswan/ePENHOLDER6A.jpg

2. Retractable nib pen, like the Pilot Vanishing Point - no cap to come loose, the nib retracts into the section like a clickable ballpoint

http://i477.photobucket.com/albums/rr131/yachtsilverswan/post-48783-0-62999800-1295721522.jpg

Is that a pen in your pocket or are you just happy to see me? - Paraphrased from Roger Rabbit.

Ray

Atlanta, Georgia

Pilot Namiki Vanishing Point with Richard Binder ItaliFine 0.9mm/F Nib

Faber Castell's Porsche Design with Gold & Stainless Mesh in Binderized CI Broad nib

Visconti LE Divina Proporzione in Gold with Binderized CI nib

David Oscarson Valhalla in gray (Thor) with Broad Binderized CI nib

Michel Perchin LE Blue Serpent (reviewed) with Binderized CI nib

Montblanc 149 in Medium Binderized CI nib

Montblanc Pope Julius II 888 Edition (reviewed) in Bold Binderized CI nib

One could get a ring mounted on top of the pen and wear it on a gold chain....gold chains are high status right now.

Yep, one don't got to worry about 'unfashionable' shirt pockets.

If one don't wear a pen in a shirt pocket one don't need a useless clip either.

Kaweco Sport since 1930 made for them who want to carry a pen in a pocket.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Silent Speaker hit on the solution: Hide the stain by making the rest of the pants black!

Get some good fabric dye (go to a craft store for it) and enjoy your new pair of black trousers.

It will be interesting to see if your bulletproof black stain outlasts the dye job on the rest of pants!

Silent Speaker hit on the solution: Hide the stain by making the rest of the pants black!

Get some good fabric dye (go to a craft store for it) and enjoy your new pair of black trousers.

It will be interesting to see if your bulletproof black stain outlasts the dye job on the rest of pants!

I did this to make a pair of grey jeans from white jeans. It came out fine.

Read the LABEL directions carefully, and make sure that it is the correct dye for cellulose fibers (cotton,

linen) and NOT the dye for protein fibers (wool or silk).

The powdered dye is fluffy and likely to blow around. It should NOT be breathed. Keep your pets locked

up someplace else during this whole procedure.

You will also need a 5 gallon plastic bucket, a particle mask for your face, some waterproof protective gloves

(to keep your skin its natural color), a long wooden stick or ruler for stirring, a timer so you can let the

mixture steep for intervals, and maybe the protective drop cloth, tarpaulin, or other floor covering of your

choice. (I did this outdoors, so I did NOT need the floor covering. It also meant the cat was indoors

out of the way.)

The directions will tell you how often to stir and turn the items being dyed. (makes the coloring even)

AVOID the supermarket dyes that say you can do this in your washing machine. If you own your own washing machine,

you wouldn't want to do this. If the washing machine partly belongs to your spouse, please avoid risking life

and limb by attempting to dye fabric in the washing machine.

Don't even think of trying it in a laundromat, because they will have signs posted forbidding it.

Using a VP to prevent ink stains on clothing is like using the rhythm method to prevent pregnancy. I've got a pair of khakis and a polo shirt both stained with bad belted green gator, both stains came from my matte black stealth pilot vp... In a pants pocket sitting can cause the button to press, not sure what haopened with the shirt, it was clipped to tthe shirt placket.

Two solutions for guys who like to carry their pen in their trouser pocket:

1. Pen case - my favorite is the Montblanc Florence Case - built like a cigar tube

http://i477.photobucket.com/albums/rr131/yachtsilverswan/ePENHOLDER6A.jpg

2. Retractable nib pen, like the Pilot Vanishing Point - no cap to come loose, the nib retracts into the section like a clickable ballpoint

http://i477.photobucket.com/albums/rr131/yachtsilverswan/post-48783-0-62999800-1295721522.jpg

Is that a pen in your pocket or are you just happy to see me? - Paraphrased from Roger Rabbit.

My gf stole my blue jeans, and had a similar mishap. So, she splattered other inks all over them....sort of worm trails...as I saw it. Paul Klee would be proud of her. So now I have designer jeans without the heavy price tag...lol. I went right out and bought her a two finger case for her pens.I get really great comments on the fabric, too.I just say they're designed by Juliet Bouchet....that usually draws a whole host of comments. Oh, a VP is a Pilot Vanishing Point pen. It's a fp that has a mechanism similar to a retractable bp. It has a trap door that keeps the ink from drying out in the feed.

Edited by SnowLeopard

Alternative remedy: SCISSORS.

And a VP is a Pilot Vanishing Point. No cap to come off, although 1 of mine fooled me when the nose came unglued in my shirt pocket and left the nib and spring mechanism exposed. And it was filled with Bulletproof Black. No damage done. A lucky break for me.

Edited by ehemem

You guys should note that any button operated Pilot Capless / Vanishing Point is probably worse in pants than any capped pen, for ink stains. You get the chance to ink your pocket every time you bend in a way to hit the button. And you can stab yourself in the hand reaching for it.

You'd have to use a Pilot Capless Fermo or a Lamy Dialog 3, the twist operated capless pens.

You guys should note that any button operated Pilot Capless / Vanishing Point is probably worse in pants than any capped pen, for ink stains. You get the chance to ink your pocket every time you bend in a way to hit the button. And you can stab yourself in the hand reaching for it.

You'd have to use a Pilot Capless Fermo or a Lamy Dialog 3, the twist operated capless pens.

Agree :thumbup:

But I think carrying a pen in pants pockets is the height of foolishness anyway.

There is much higher foolishness, and I don't think pen in pants always qualifies as foolish in the first place. Some pens would be foolish, and some work well. It also depends on the wearer of the pants. Of course, with kilts, you use a sporran or if it has pockets, the whole thing moves, instead of possibly being stretched across one's thigh.

There is much higher foolishness, and I don't think pen in pants always qualifies as foolish in the first place. Some pens would be foolish, and some work well. It also depends on the wearer of the pants. Of course, with kilts, you use a sporran or if it has pockets, the whole thing moves, instead of possibly being stretched across one's thigh.

All my kilts have multiple pockets, some with actual pen sections. :thumbup: