• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mickey

• mvarela

• smk

• MusinkMan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Really nice! I am waiting for the book by Michael Sull on this script,but if I can get to be half as good as you I would be totally satisfied.

Really nice! I am waiting for the book by Michael Sull on this script,but if I can get to be half as good as you I would be totally satisfied.

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Very late to the party, I'm sorry. The last couple of days I have tremendously enjoyed reading this thread. Thank you all so much for sharing your observations, experiences, and knowledge here. Together you have built an invaluable source of information!

Please allow me to share my first attempt at learning the script in a more or less structured way.

27689675576_51c8d22ca1_c.jpg

I must say the session has been quite a humbling experience for me. Some of the seemingly easy strokes are just all over the place. Loops, especially the ascender ones are giving me headaches, and my 'q's are consistently rubbish. In fact I wonder if I will ever properly learn this hand. With enough practice I probably will, but it does't feel like this at the moment. :)

For the time being I am leaving shading for what it is, focussing on just getting the shapes down with the lightest hand possible. I use the forearm movement method, elbow off the table, pivoting on the well-known muscle pad. Also, I manage to glide on the nails of the third and fourth finger, keeping a floating wrist. My grip could be more knuckles-up though, perhaps with a straighter index finger resting more on top of the pen. Finally, I realised this is not the best guide sheet for this, so I'm going to switch to a different one with more horizontal lines in between.

Anyway, if there is anything you'd like to comment on these first results, please don't hold back. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

~ Alexander

• 6 months later...

hello everyone! I found so many beatiful exemples in spencerian here in this topic and that is why I want to thank for posting them. Spencerian is a fascinating field for all of us, I am sure. That is why I follow you by posting some personal exercises and I hope to grow beside you in mastering this art. If you have any suggestion for emproving my handwritting please let me know. Many thanks to everyone.

post-126255-0-50873600-1484529615_thumb.jpg

post-126255-0-98318400-1484529635_thumb.jpg

post-126255-0-44312300-1484529657_thumb.jpeg

Beautiful work @goring_shmith! Out of interest, which method do you study from?

I really appreciate your feed-back. For me it was very useful the IAMPETH site. I started with SPENCERIAN KEY TO PRACTICAL PANMANSHIP. Can you please give some advices regarding the method I should study from? Starting from the pictures I provided above, can you please let meknow how can I emprove my spencerian hand writting? Thank you so much.

• 4 weeks later...

http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m496/gclef1114/Tutuguans/6C94B513-981D-4B50-8214-9C9B47F829FA.jpg

http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m496/gclef1114/Tutuguans/B6B3281D-A089-4609-AE9E-98B64FAE2847.jpg

Edited by GClef

Which exemplar do you you follow?

I was really impressed by madam Schin Long's youtube tutorials. Second came mr. Michael Sull's texts. Third I found on Iampeth the theory of spencerian hand writting by Platt Rogers Spencers sons. Among that, my father used to have a very slanted handwritting and I want to study spencerian as much as I can as a tribute to my father.

hat

Which exemplar do you follow?

By the way, do you think it looks like genuine spencerian script the word that I posted above? Do you see any emprovement since my last post? Thank you so much.

Looking very good indeed goring_shmith, it certainly has the Spencerian look to it. Depending on your exemplar you could have a look at the stem of the p. It often starts and ends a bit higher. Another thing you could consider is to try to execute your strokes a bit more swiftly.

But, overall very nice!

~ Alexander

Looking very good indeed goring_shmith, it certainly has the Spencerian look to it. Depending on your exemplar you could have a look at the stem of the p. It often starts and ends a bit higher. Another thing you could consider is to try to execute your strokes a bit more swiftly.

But, overall very nice!

Oh, I see what you mean. Thank you for that. How did you realise that the strokes are less swiftly?

Take a piece of ruled paper and draw a horizontal line, making sure it is exactly in the middle of two baselines. Go slow, but as precisely as you can.

Then do the same thing, but in one swing of the arm. Try to stay in the middle again, but focus on speed and freedom of movement.

Even though the form will be off, the line quality of the latter will be much higher.

In my view, the challenge of Spencerian is to achieve the precision of the former, with the (technique and) line quality of the latter.

~ Alexander

Now that you have your forms down quite well, it might be interesting for you to move on to quality of line. Hence the suggestion.

HTH!

~ Alexander