• smk

• MusinkMan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I am learning this writing hand and I am happy I have completely  changed my writing into something  better and different.

It is always worth trying to learn new skills. :) By the way I spilled my violet ink bottle into my page.

Well, I made it a bit decoration  over the whole page.🤔you have to be a bit smarter sometimes!!!

IMG_0045-Copy.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up my spencerian again - not that I did well in the past. I'm glad to start using a dip pen. It just feels so satisfying and elegant to use! Now that my dip pen writing is no longer just ink blobs, I can see how using dip nib and an oblique holder can help with calligraphy.

scan-20210312-spencerian_dip_1.thumb.png.a4e721db315df6408820b94e9f8d1590.png

scan-20210312-spencerian_dip_2.thumb.png.8f07bdde0c7e8891974eadce2c970f30.png

22 minutes ago, CatAddict said:

Picked up my spencerian again - not that I did well in the past. I'm glad to start using a dip pen. It just feels so satisfying and elegant to use! Now that my dip pen writing is no longer just ink blobs, I can see how using dip nib and an oblique holder can help with calligraphy.

Very nice!  Can't read it without it singing it in my head!

• 11 months later...

I must be an old ancient vintage antique after all. ☹️

I just did a web search for "Spencerian Script Alphabet" as I wasn't sure which style it is.

Imagine my shock to see it is the Cursive I learned starting in second or third grade, and was required on all work turned in for grading through highschool and into college! 😳

Turns out I've only been using it for 59~60 years. I guess its one style of Calligraphy I don't have to learn. 👍

• 2 months later...
On 10/15/2011 at 3:06 AM, texaspenman said:

I am going to learn Spencerian. This is a hand that I have wished to learn for almost a year. I figure that doing this with others as was done in SMK's excellent Copperplate Thread, will keep me on track. The two reasons for this type of thread which SMK gave are spot on:

• "I hope that others will join in and we'll all learn in a collaborative manner - critiquing, advising and supporting each other.
  • I also hope to receive advice from members who are experienced in this hand from time to time."

My preparations thus far:

Nibs

I have decided to use Gillot 303 nibs for their flexibility and relative ease of purchase.

Holders

I am going to purchase a PaperInkArts Adjustable Oblique Pen Holder. It looks like this pen holder will provide excellent versatility and will allow me to try out the crow quills I have lying about!

Ink

I will be using Higgin's Eternal Black Ink. I have tried Iron Gall inks, but I have found them a bit to thin for my liking.

Paper

I will be using Michael Sull's Cross Drill Tablets, Spencerian Practice Set Copybooks, and his Spencerian Guide Sheet Practice Tablet. Until I secure funds to purchase these, I will be using the Spencerian Guide Sheet from IAMPETH.

Examplars/Guidance

I will be using Learning To Write Spencerian Script by Michael Sull. I have also found the DVD by Ron Tate on Spencerian, extremely useful. Any other suggestions?

I'm really getting excited about this!

How are you doing so far?? Hope you have a good skilled hand in Spencerian now.

I am into this rabbit hole and working a bit harder. I am  onto the start with the MICHEL R. SULL'S  The Art of Cursive Penmanship.

It is the easy one to go with for me.

Although I am not keeping to your  above guide line list of Nib/Pen /paper/ I find I have variety of choices  of other brands and my writing woks well. 

This list will be handy when you have developed your entry level to the Spencerian.

Definitely  Gillotts 303 ( Vintage ) is my favourite too  and that holder is a beautiful combination. 

On 3/13/2021 at 3:04 AM, CatAddict said:

By the way @CatAddict Your script is impressive. Love that mono-line BUSINESS lettering type  writing.

• 1 month later...

I am onto spencerian and I am still progressing.

It is a long process and I am in the rabbit hole of the Spencerian world for some times.   

IMG_0020.jpg.f187603b5288750a5a53facbc06d1f9c.jpgIMG_0157.thumb.jpg.c71fa8b3d557cc35378f013aadad29e1.jpg

• 3 months later...

I discovered this topic only now, and am not sure whether it’s still alive. So FWIW and in response to the most recent posters @Inkyways@afishhunter@CatAddictand @hh1990, here is a writing sample of mine.  
I attended grade school in the 1960s in Belgium and was taughtD1F6B5CC-85F2-4F65-AAE9-2870366AF774.thumb.jpeg.6d1a80f962377626f92d89dd23048dd8.jpeg cursive in a style that somewhat resembles D’Nealian. Like most in my generation, my handwriting degenerated thoroughly as I started using ballpoints, typewriters, computer keyboards and eventually touchscreens.  
I discovered Spencerian on the web a few years ago and naively thought that it would not be super hard to learn on the back of what I remembered from grade school.  That assumption, of course, was completely wrong.  I have had to “learn” each individual stroke anew, and to forget the “a” “b”, etc. as I remembered them. The hardest part for me is to maintain the 52 degree slant and to consistently make “angular” upstrokes. Progress is an animal that walks ever more slowly, but it does not completely stop. At least, that’s what I continue telling myself in order not to give up.