Classifieds is broken, please do not submit any new ads ×

De La Rue- Onoto The Pen

terryk

Hello,

I wonder if anyone can tell me please whether all the Onoto plunger models feature the ability to cut off the flow of ink to the nib.

If not, does anyone have a list of the models that do so/ or don't.

I'm thinking of buying a DLR Onoto and would like it to have the facility of cutting off the flow.

Many thanks

Terry

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• david@onoto.com

• richardandtracy

• jar

• terryk

If I've understood the question correctly then have a look at the Pilot Custom 823 and certain models of the Danitrio range (specifically the eyedroppers but the name escapes me at present).

I don't think the Onoto's do have the 'cut off' facility.

"Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch" Orson Welles

No modern Onotos have the plunger filling system, they are all c/c fillers. If you want the plunger fill, you are looking at some very vintage pens, I think from around the '30s (though I'm not an expert...). All those models had cutoff valves, at least officially.

There was an interesting thread floating around recently about a possible new plunger model coming out by Onoto, but the cost may be prohibitive.

As for vintage Onotos, they are renowned for the soft springy feel of their nibs, but are somewhat temperamental when it comes to ink-flow.

I'd like to recommend, as the previous poster did, the Pilot Custom 823. It is a plunger fill, and has a nib that comes quite possibly as close as modern nibs do to the old Onoto variety. They have a springy elasticity seldom found in other pens, most probably due to the fact that the nib design was intended to provide some give and absorption of shock. They also have the cutoff feature. I have one and use it heavily.

Hope this helps.

Express Nib Grinding Down Under at AUSSIE PEN REPAIR

Email: aussiepenrepair@gmail.com

logo%2520resize.jpg

They showed off the new plunger at LWES. £645 I believe the price was.

Edited by snowblink

Thanks for the responses.

I had in mind pre-WW2 De La Rue pens.

The Pilot Custom 823 looks really good, I shall have have to research that too, but will probably get a DLR plunger with cut-off first and see how I get on with it.

Thanks for the responses.

I had in mind pre-WW2 De La Rue pens.

The Pilot Custom 823 looks really good, I shall have have to research that too, but will probably get a DLR plunger with cut-off first and see how I get on with it.

Yes is the answer (sort of). The pre-war ONOTO plunger fillers have a built in cut off valve with some exceptions. After filling it is simply a matter of turning the knob on the barrel end about half a turn to open the ink flow and tightening it again when finished to cut off the ink flow.

More information here

Further to the above replies, the visual indicator of an Onoto with a cut-off valve is that the tip of the plunger (the bit that holds the piston washer in place) has a conical tip, and the end of the feed has a reciprocal recess that cuts the ink off when the plunger is screwed into it. Basically, if you unscrew the section from the barrel and see a conical tip sticking out of the barrel, it has a cut-off valve. If it's flat, it isn't.

EDIT: this was the thread I was looking for (didn't think my photos were still in place!!)

My link

Edited by soapytwist

"Truth can never be told, so as to be understood, and not be believ'd." (Wiiliam Blake)

Visit my review: Thirty Pens in Thirty Days

As Soapytwist says, generally yes, they do have conical shutoff valves.

However the 'Junior' (if I remember the name right, may be 'Minor' or 'Dinkie' - the name [whatever it is] indicates it's small) didn't have this facility and doesn't have the conical valve. There was enough room to put it in, but I think DLR reckoned it wasn't necessary.

Obviously, the Onoto lever filler don't have the plunger or cutoff (and there are quite a few lever fillers).

Regards,

Richard.

Thanks again for the further replies. The pictures are really useful.

The new Onoto Heritage FP has just been released. It is the first Onoto plunger-filler for more than 50 years and has been created using the original Onoto drawings from the 1920s, but incorporates updated materials, such as a carbon fibre rod.

It has a shut-off valve exactly as described elsewhere in this thread - i.e. the conical end of the rod sits in the end of the feeder unit when the rod is screwed down, preventing any further ink release while the pen is in transit.

The Heritage features a sterling silver overlay on the cap and comes with an Onoto 18ct gold nib as standard in Fine, Medium or broad widths. One worthwhile feature of the Heritage is the ink capacity -it's more than twice as much as a standard converter.

I'm attaching a couple of photos of the pen for reference. post-1426-0-16487600-1318366053.jpgpost-1426-0-91465500-1318366076.jpgThe first shows the new Heritage overlaid over a 1920s poster for one of the original Onoto plunger fillers. The second shows the new version including the silver overlay cap.

The Heritage was released last weekend at LWES, the London Pen Show and has had a great reception. Retail price is £STG 579 (plus VAT if applicable).

David

The new Onoto Heritage FP has just been released. It is the first Onoto plunger-filler for more than 50 years and has been created using the original Onoto drawings from the 1920s, but incorporates updated materials, such as a carbon fibre rod.

It has a shut-off valve exactly as described elsewhere in this thread - i.e. the conical end of the rod sits in the end of the feeder unit when the rod is screwed down, preventing any further ink release while the pen is in transit.

David

David.

Will there be a non-overlay version for those of us that aren't into filigree overlays?

My Website

David

David.

Will there be a non-overlay version for those of us that aren't into filigree overlays?

+1

My Quest for Grail Pens:

Onoto The Pen 5500

Gold & Brown Onoto Magna (1937-40)

Tangerine Swan 242 1/2

Large Tiger Eye LeBoeuf

Esterbrook Blue-Copper Marbled Relief 2-L

the Wandering Author

David

David.

Anything is possible! As you can imagine, the mechanism is complex and it's taken a lot of testing to get to this stage. Only 30 pens will be available until 2012 and the entire edition is only 100 pieces. Collectors have been telling us for years that they want a plunger filler, and we always listen to what they say! Perhaps there will be a non-overlay version - with a chased chevron pattern like those early Onotos, maybe. You tell me, what would you like to see?

David

Anything is possible! As you can imagine, the mechanism is complex and it's taken a lot of testing to get to this stage. Only 30 pens will be available until 2012 and the entire edition is only 100 pieces. Collectors have been telling us for years that they want a plunger filler, and we always listen to what they say! Perhaps there will be a non-overlay version - with a chased chevron pattern like those early Onotos, maybe. You tell me, what would you like to see?

David

If the mechanism has been perfected, the exterior should not really be much of a problem. A chased pattern exterior would be appropriate but I would like to go the whole hog and have the one thing that is still missing - a flexy or semi-flexy gold nib. :cloud9:

David, how can we order the Heritage? It isn't on the Onoto web site as far as I can see.

David

David.

David

Well David, I enjoy using my chased chevron Onotos but I also admit they are getting a little long in the tooth; they actually do deserve to be called vintage. I would not mind having a new one so that I can retire the others or at least let them trot off to a tropical resort and sit by the beach for awhile. It's always 5 o'clock somewhere.

My Website

David

David.

David

Well David, I enjoy using my chased chevron Onotos but I also admit they are getting a little long in the tooth; they actually do deserve to be called vintage. I would not mind having a new one so that I can retire the others or at least let them trot off to a tropical resort and sit by the beach for awhile. It's always 5 o'clock somewhere.

As a result of the comments about our new Plunger-filler, I've had a chat with CEO Alastair Adams this morning and asked him to give a little more technical information about it - as he has been very involved in its development and production. (I just write the words!)Here's what he's said...

“Please see the attached photos of the final production version of the new Onoto Heritage plunger filler. As you can see it does not have the big step down mentioned earlier in the thread. (Now, if someone will explain to me the attraction of the big stepdown from barrel to section...) The pen shown on the poster was an early prototype version, and we modified the barrel on the production version to improve the feel of the pen and to make it (hopefully) one of the most comfortable pens on the market.

Some other information that may be of interest - the ink capacity is nearly 2.5 times the capacity of the K5 converter, AND it has a cut off valve just like the original so you have to open the valve by half a turn to write with it. Also, we have used modern materials such as carbon fibre rods, special rubber cup valves and an ingenious 3 washer seal that we believe we give a much longer life and be virtually maintenance free. Our aim was to improve on the original design, and we are very pleased with the final product, and believe we have achieved our aim.

The pens are on sale now. If you need more information please contact David at david@onoto.com, or phone him on 0044 (0)1803 875522."

I hope that clarifies a few technicalities for you. Enjoy the photos!

David

post-1426-0-13083600-1318413822.jpgpost-1426-0-59540100-1318413806.jpgpost-1426-0-19008400-1318413838.jpg

First, I'm wondering just how the mechanism differs from the original Onoto mechanism, since it would seem if you'd used exactly the same design, little testing would have been necessary. (A little, yes, to make sure the tolerances were correct and so on, but it at least sounds to me as if you're talking about more.)

Second, what I'd like to see would be, essentially, a modern version of the old Onotos. Plunger filler, really special nibs, a range of pens from expensive but possible to justify as a working pen all the way up to the show pieces. It would be fun to see just what an Onoto would be like if it were made of the best modern materials, to modern tolerances. (I could imagine, say, an Onoto plunger filler in Lucite, which judging from the Parker 51, seems all but indestructible.)

Although I agree with some of the others. As long as the Onoto nibs can't be recreated, a sizable chunk of the Onoto experience is missing.

My Quest for Grail Pens:

Onoto The Pen 5500

Gold & Brown Onoto Magna (1937-40)

Tangerine Swan 242 1/2

Large Tiger Eye LeBoeuf

Esterbrook Blue-Copper Marbled Relief 2-L

the Wandering Author

In response to "telling you what we would like"...I think "a non-overlay version - with a chased chevron pattern like those early Onotos" would be great!

This post contains 100% recycled electrons

http://i952.photobucket.com/albums/ae8/Catriker/Pen%20Pics/SmallCzarNikolai.jpg