Ecclesiastical Stationery Supplies Registrars Ink

Sandy1

(...)

but I quite like our ink to remain a bit misterious, unpredictable and unique.

Best wishes to all, Vic Stevenson (ESS)

Hi,

well said, Vic. :-)

My next bottle is on it's way...

Was there ever a black ESSRI?

I hope You are fine.

Best wishes

Jens

.....................................................................................................

https://www.flickr.com/photos/136145166@N02/albums

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sandy1

• Bo Bo Olson

• JimB

• Chiro75

Top Posters In This Topic

I checked their website just a short while ago and under the 'About ESS' tab they state that they offer 'fast worldwide shipping' for their registrars ink, separate and distinct from their other products for which they do not offer the same service. I took them at their word and ordered two bottles. Let's see what happens.

Sandy1, a fabulous review, as usual. This ink's shading is outstanding and it looks like an excellent choice for the office. I ordered a bottle for my wife, too. She's pursuing a Masters in Theology and I'm sure she'll find this ink quite appropriate for her examinations.

Sandy, your review is fabulous. Inspired a purchase! What with covid19 I think I'll be waiting a while - it will be a nice surprise when it comes.

Thanks much for the review.

I looked into ordering a bottle of it a few years ago. But with the cost of shipping from the UK at the time, I considered adding a pen to the order (it looked like a Parker Vector, but that was probably five or six years ago at this point). Additionally, I wasn't sure I could go through that much ink before the ink started to precipitate the iron part out.... Even if that was the ONLY ink I used. And I've gotten a whole bunch of other IG inks since then (Akkerman IJzer-Galnoten, a bunch of the KWZI IG inks, and a couple of the Platinum Classic inks) -- and most of THEM were in 50 ml bottles -- as well as bottles of R&K Salix and Scabiosa. And I haven't begun to go through ANY of them in any rational capacity consumption....

A bottle of ESSRI? I'd be doomed....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I agree with Ruth's sentiments. I always thought it would be great if we could organize a group buy into the US on FPN for that ink. Maybe reduce the price and save on shipping. Maybe one day.

Well, I just bought a bottle, not realizing how much ink I'd get - 110ml! If anyone here wants some, please let me know. I paid 14.50 Euros or $18.86 including shipping, and will be happy to share at cost.

You could either send me a bottle for me to send back, or I could order a few spice bottles or other clean bottles. I usually move ink around with an old syringe; for this distribution project I could do the decanting first so that you would get clean ink. I'll get clean/new syringes from the feed store and a clean needle to prevent contamination.

Who knows how long it will take to arrive here, so you have plenty of time to consider.

Edited by GreenMountain

Well, I just bought a bottle, not realizing how much ink I'd get - 110ml! If anyone here wants some, please let me know. I paid 14.50 Euros or $18.86 including shipping, and will be happy to share at cost.

You could either send me a bottle for me to send back, or I could order a few spice bottles or other clean bottles. I usually move ink around with an old syringe; for this distribution project I could do the decanting first so that you would get clean ink. I'll get clean/new syringes from the feed store and a clean needle to prevent contamination.

Who knows how long it will take to arrive here, so you have plenty of time to consider.

Hi GreenMountain!

Great to offer it to our american friends here. :-)

My new bottle arrived on saturday, I'll fill it into a glas bottle soon...

Best wishes and stay well

Jens

.....................................................................................................

https://www.flickr.com/photos/136145166@N02/albums

Thanks, SchaumburgSwan. I'm looking forward to it. Take care, and don't worry if it takes longer than usual for shipping; we are all getting used to a slower life.

• 4 weeks later...

I ordered a bottle yesterday, along with the add-on Parker Vector (with converter).

Question: I noted that the original review suggests moving this ink to glass containers. I have an empty vintage Skrip bottle into which I will probably pour 40 or 50 ml for easy use.

But is it a bad idea to leave the rest in the original container, as long as it's stored in a closet away from heat and light? (as all my inks are stored)

I'm not sure what's the rationale on recommending decanting. I'd be against it, considered the chance of a mishap and, most worryingly, the possibility to contaminate the ink.

I ordered a bottle yesterday, along with the add-on Parker Vector (with converter).

Question: I noted that the original review suggests moving this ink to glass containers. I have an empty vintage Skrip bottle into which I will probably pour 40 or 50 ml for easy use.

But is it a bad idea to leave the rest in the original container, as long as it's stored in a closet away from heat and light? (as all my inks are stored)

I'm not sure I'd say I'm opposed to decanting, but I'm not sure the necessity of it either. As Eclipse157 suggests, there is a potential for contamination (make sure to CLEAN the vintage bottle out first. Sterilize if possible but not required. I understand the desire to move it to the vintage Skrip bottle because of those wells. However, my caution to you really is with the seals in them. I am a frequent vintage Skrip ink user and I, along with many others, can most likely attest that the air seals in old Skrip bottles are hit or miss today. If you are going to use one, watch it CAREFULLY to see if the ink begins to evaporate. Start with a small amount. You'll most likely notice within 90 days of decanting if you watch carefully. And if it does, throw that part away. I would normally not suggest that, except ESSI is iron gall ink, and there's potential for premature oxidation of the ink if it begins to evaporate. Otherwise, if the ink remains stable, then you're probably good. Just be careful screwing and unscrewing so as not to damage the seal.

As far as storing in the original container, it's fine. Go wild. That is what the original container is meant for.

In the light of eharriett’s post above, does anyone have any recommendations for 30ml ink bottles that are reliably airtight?

Edited by Mercian

Foul in clear conditions, but handsome in the fog.

mini-postcard-exc.png

I'm not sure I'd say I'm opposed to decanting, but I'm not sure the necessity of it either. As Eclipse157 suggests, there is a potential for contamination (make sure to CLEAN the vintage bottle out first. Sterilize if possible but not required. I understand the desire to move it to the vintage Skrip bottle because of those wells. However, my caution to you really is with the seals in them. I am a frequent vintage Skrip ink user and I, along with many others, can most likely attest that the air seals in old Skrip bottles are hit or miss today. If you are going to use one, watch it CAREFULLY to see if the ink begins to evaporate. Start with a small amount. You'll most likely notice within 90 days of decanting if you watch carefully. And if it does, throw that part away. I would normally not suggest that, except ESSI is iron gall ink, and there's potential for premature oxidation of the ink if it begins to evaporate. Otherwise, if the ink remains stable, then you're probably good. Just be careful screwing and unscrewing so as not to damage the seal.

As far as storing in the original container, it's fine. Go wild. That is what the original container is meant for.

Great point about the bottle's seal. That will make me think twice, despite how much I adore those old ink bottles.

Thinking about it, 110ml is not so much bigger than a regular Noodler's bottle (approx 90ml). So unless it has a tiny opening (like on the 4.5oz Noodler's eyedropper bottles or the Diamine 30ml bottles), then it should be plenty usable for awhile.

Should this ink be shaken first, or no?

Great point about the bottle's seal. That will make me think twice, despite how much I adore those old ink bottles.

Thinking about it, 110ml is not so much bigger than a regular Noodler's bottle (approx 90ml). So unless it has a tiny opening (like on the 4.5oz Noodler's eyedropper bottles or the Diamine 30ml bottles), then it should be plenty usable for awhile.

Most people say to NOT shake iron-gall inks before loading one’s pen.

After all, if anything has precipitated out of the ink in the bottle, one does NOT want it settling out/precipitating in to the feed channels of one’s pen.

Foul in clear conditions, but handsome in the fog.

mini-postcard-exc.png

I'd be interested to know, out of pure curiosity, whether the Vector they sell is the made in France or made in India model. And whether comes with F or M nib.

In the light of eharrietts post above, does anyone have any recommendations for 30ml ink bottles that are reliably airtight?

Pelikan's bottles are 30ml and fairly airtight IME

The opening is fairly small in diameter. I remember you could not fit a big pen in it, and you just can't fill the pen any longe once it gets too low. The bottle is tall and narrow.

A fair warning: the plastic it is made of becomes brittle after some time - mine broke falling from my desk because I clumsily hit it with my elbow - so be careful when you handle it!

Thanks for the tips.

I will let y'all know about the Vector when it arrives (in a week or two?). If it doesn't work out, I have a lovely little red Parker 15 with a wet M nib that would be a good test pen. As well as an XF 45. Or an eyedroppered Fine Preppy.

Yes the pen is tall and the opening narrow, too narrow to my taste. I am waiting to finish a shoe-shaped MB BB bottle (must remain about 0.5ml) to transfer ESSRI to it.

BTW, this is an old MB BB bottle. I'm down to the last drop. And no precipitate yet. That has most often been my experience with other permanent inks, so I am not generally wary of precipitates. I do keep all my inks normally in a closet or drawer, with no exposure to light, tightly closed.

With IG ESSRI what can make a precipitate (as I understand, and I may be wrong) is exposure to O2. So, the smaller the exposed surface, the better. I guess that is why these bottles are tall and narrow, and if so, unused ink would be better in its bottle. OTOH, some plastics do also "breathe" and may let gas exchanges take place, but I do not know which plastic ESSRI uses.

For old bottles, I sometimes take a pinpoint of silicon grease on a finger and rub it against the bottle lip before closing. I know, I could contaminate the ink, but have never had an issue, and besides, I try to never topple them.

If you are to be ephemeral, leave a good scent.

Yes the pen is tall and the opening narrow, too narrow to my taste.

Either of my two planned test pens - the Vector they're sending and my Parker 15 - are slim and should have no trouble accessing a narrow bottle. :happyberet:

Received my ink. The color and shading are wonderful. The dryness on plain lousy copy paper is not so pleasant. On better paper it's just fine.

There is absolutely no feathering.

I've seen conflicting advice as to whether a bit of detergent or glycerine would help the dryness.

Opinions?

Edited by GreenMountain

Just rec'd my order from ESS and Parker Vector.

The Vector is a black plastic Medium, made in France. Also came with a Luxor-made slide converter. Both new in the blister packs, of course.

I inked up the Vector. Writes perfectly on various papers, even Moleskine.

On Rhodia, it goes down dark blue and almost turns black before my eyes. On my Apica notebook (greyish paper), it stays blue. I'll be curious to see if anything changes after some time passes. I wrote a whole page, and the color was consistently blue - a similar shade to Quink Blue in the same notebook.