Ecclesiastical Stationery Supplies Registrars Ink

Sandy1

I have just joined the FPN. However, I have used Vintage Sheaffer Triumph EF nib FP's for more than a Decade with EES Registrars ink. I flush my pens on a monthly basis with a dilute Vinegar solution, followed by clear water and have had no issues in my Vintage pens. I use this ink in all of my vintage pens and have even been told that while they require a bit more maintenance; the vintage pens usually do very well with IG inks because this was a common ink that was used when my pens were manufactured in the 1940's and 50's and the feeds were designed to work well with them.

I went to Registrars ink for two reasons, it is Permanent and it is a Blue/Black ink that is easy for the Pharmacies in my area to immediately recognize my prescriptions as being genuine because I always use this "weird ink". Some years ago I had a Prescription pad stolen from my clinic and got a call from one of my pharmacists who is a fellow pen snob asking when I started writing with a blue ballpoint. I told him I hadn't and that it was obviously a forged prescription. The passer of the faked prescriptions was caught and arrested when she came to pick up the forged prescription. This saved me from all sorts of trouble.

I just thought I would share my experience with the EES ink.

Endoguy

Thanks for the good laugh. My husband, who isn't really an FP person (even though I keep trying) also thought it was funny -- especially the bit about the "weird ink".... :lol:

I've been considering ESSRI for a couple of years, but the shipping charges from the UK were more than the cost of the ink, IIRC. And I have so much ink already that the idea of 110 ml is sort of mind boggling. Although I had considered ordering one of the pens that were recommended, since shipping on the pens was free, to sort of balance out the cost of shipping to the US. At the time I looked at their website (which admittedly was a couple of years ago at this point) the pens seemed to be Parker Vectors. And seemed to have stainless steel nibs from the look of them. So that should allay anyone's fears. I use IG inks in my Vectors all the time, because for the most part they are a bit one the wet side, and that balances the dryness of most IG inks quite nicely.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sandy1

• Bo Bo Olson

• JimB

• Chiro75

Top Posters In This Topic

Fantastic ink. Great review.

Hi,

Many thanks for your kind words :)

As ever, the generous ongoing contributions of other Members provide far far more texture and depth to my initial post than I ever imagined.

Wheee!

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

• 8 months later...

Like a lot of folks on here, I love the color of ESSRI....before oxidation, but am really sad when the blue portion turns to grey.

Has anyone found an ink that looks exactly like unoxidized ESSRI (that awesome grey blue) and has the same water resistance?

Thanks!

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

The exact oxidized colour will depend on the paper you use and the flow of your pen. For instance, when I use ESSRI with a broad Vac700, the colour ends up almost black, not gray.

The Platinum Blue-Black stays blue when oxidized. You can also try the KWZ blue IG inks (there are five of them, going from light blue to gray-black).

Another vote for Platinum Blue-Black.

Platinum Blue-black is a great ink that I use daily, but it is definitely dark blue and doesn't have the grey element that is in ESSRI.

I wonder if adding a little Platinum Blue-black to ESSRI would achieve the desired effect.

I may or may not acquire this ink, but consider my fancy tickled. A thoroughly entertaining review! :D

This has long been atop the list of inks I want to try. Unfortunately postage to Manila is too much, too long, and too uncertain yet for this student to gamble. Definitely an ink to dedicate a pen to (maybe one of those Platinums with a Slip & Seal cap?).

Hero #232 Blue-Black is my Waterman Florida Blue.

Your Kilometrage May Vary (#ykmv), a Philippine blawg about ink and fountain pens.

This has long been atop the list of inks I want to try. Unfortunately postage to Manila is too much, too long, and too uncertain yet for this student to gamble. Definitely an ink to dedicate a pen to (maybe one of those Platinums with a Slip & Seal cap?).

I have an extra bottle, if there's some way I could ship it to you while you are in China. :)

I have an extra bottle, if there's some way I could ship it to you while you are in China. :)

I am beyond flattered :wub:

Hero #232 Blue-Black is my Waterman Florida Blue.

Your Kilometrage May Vary (#ykmv), a Philippine blawg about ink and fountain pens.

Like a lot of folks on here, I love the color of ESSRI....before oxidation, but am really sad when the blue portion turns to grey.

Has anyone found an ink that looks exactly like unoxidized ESSRI (that awesome grey blue) and has the same water resistance?

Thanks!

Hi,

Well OK then, let us sally forth...

Figure 2 shows the separation of the dye and I-G components:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20ESS%20Registrars%20Blue-Black/212937c3.jpg

So that gives a fair notion of the adorable pre-oxidisation dye hue. I see it having an Indigo aspect - though there's a hint of Blue-Violet too - not a simple Blue. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indigo

I took a voyage of exploration to 'Put the Blue back in Blue-Black'. The logs of which are here: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/223337-essri-mixes/

I wish you fair winds on your voyage of exploration, and await your safe return and to read of your adventures. Any booty to be found?

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

Hi,

Well OK then, let us sally forth...

In the IR there is an image of the separation of the dye and I-G components:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20ESS%20Registrars%20Blue-Black/212937c3.jpg

So that gives a fair notion of the adorable pre-oxidisation dye hue. I see it having an Indigo aspect - though there's a hint of Blue-Violet too - not a simple Blue. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indigo

I took a voyage of exploration to 'Put the Blue back in Blue-Black'. The logs of which are here: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/223337-essri-mixes/

I wish you fair winds on your voyage of exploration, and await your safe return and to read of your adventures. Any booty to be found?

Bye,

S1

Hi Sandy1,

I can't believe I missed that thread. Thanks for the link!

I shall try mixing with Platinum Blue-black and some of the Noodler's bulletproof blues and see what mayhem arises. I'll post discoveries on the other thread.

Hi Sandy1,

I can't believe I missed that thread. Thanks for the link!

I shall try mixing with Platinum Blue-black and some of the Noodler's bulletproof blues and see what mayhem arises. I'll post discoveries on the other thread.

Wheee! (In a BlBk sort of way.)

I had to order a bottle of this. $20 and change for 110 mL of ink, shipped, from the UK to the US. It's hard to imagine a better deal for a high-quality ink.

fpn_1497391483__snailbadge.png

I had to order a bottle of this. $20 and change for 110 mL of ink, shipped, from the UK to the US. It's hard to imagine a better deal for a high-quality ink.

Agreed. If you like the final color (are grey and black technically colors?) and have no problem with keeping up good pen hygiene, then ESSRI is the greatest ink deal of our time.

• 4 months later...

Wheee! (In a BlBk sort of way.)

I'll know for certain in a week or so once the iron gall oxidizes more, but mixing 4 parts ESSRI to 1 part Platinum Blue-Black seems to have accomplished my goal of making this ink still keep it's fresh blue-black color without sacrificing any of the glorious shading or other qualities pure ESSRI boasts. :cloud9:

I'll know for certain in a week or so once the iron gall oxidizes more, but mixing 4 parts ESSRI to 1 part Platinum Blue-Black seems to have accomplished my goal of making this ink still keep it's fresh blue-black color without sacrificing any of the glorious shading or other qualities pure ESSRI boasts. :cloud9:

+1

I'm toying with a blend of ESSRI + R&K Salix, a variation of the MB IG BlBk blend that I called SalixX.

As ever, the ink in the bottle is often a gateway to more adventures for the adventurous.

I understand that Hero has a an IG ink, and am curious if anyone chose that ink as a blending buddy for ESSRI?

Any D.water in the blends?

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

It's been over a week now and the ESSRI+Platinum BB mix looks amazing! I'm going to wait a little longer to take and post pics just to allow for more time for color shift. It doesn't look the same as wet ESSRI, but the blue hue is definitely notable and the shading is undiminished. The mix is also 100% waterproof and smear proof! The color reminds me of my 1950s bottle of Parker Quink BB with Solv-X, but with superior writing qualities (the Parker is hopelessly dry in many pens).

It's been over a week now and the ESSRI+Platinum BB mix looks amazing! I'm going to wait a little longer to take and post pics just to allow for more time for color shift. It doesn't look identical to wet ESSRI, but the blue hue is definitely notable and the shading is undiminished. The mix is also 100% waterproof and smear proof! The color reminds me of my 1950s bottle of Parker Quink BB with Solv-X, but with superior writing qualities (the Parker is hopelessly dry in many pens).

I just compared this mix with some fresh ESSRI and the dark parts of the strokes look identical to fully applied ESSRI that has dried for around 5 minutes. I think I'll try increasing the Platinum BB amount in the next mix and see if that makes it closer to the color of freshly spilled ESSRI, which is my goal.

I understand that Hero has a an IG ink, and am curious if anyone chose that ink as a blending buddy for ESSRI?

I just did a 1:1 mix of ESSRI and Hero Dux 402 Blue-Black (which I'm pretty sure has some IG content). My initial impressions are that the ESSRI basically dilutes the color of the Hero ink, giving it more shading but a more pale complexion as well. This Hero BB can have a tinge of green with some pen and paper combinations, so it doesn't really look at all like pure wet ESSRI.