Ecclesiastical Stationery Supplies Registrars Ink

Sandy1

✃ snip ✁

I, too, have some ESSRI on the way. I was wondering how best to heed your recommendation regarding decanting, . . .

✃ snip ✁

Hi,

I suggested decanting the ESSRI into more than one bottle in the Review proper, and have suggested three (!) bottles most recently in Post № 62 above: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/205705-ecclesiastical-stationery-supplies-registrars-ink/page__view__findpost__p__2164772

Perhaps Members who offer ink samples also offer empty [Montblanc] bottles for sale.

Bye,

S1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sandy1

• Bo Bo Olson

• JimB

• Chiro75

Top Posters In This Topic

✃ snip ✁

On a side-note, since this changes color with oxidation, is it a bad idea to use it in an inkwell (484 from Esterbrook)?

Hi,

I responded to a similar query previously in Post № 65 above: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/205705-ecclesiastical-stationery-supplies-registrars-ink/page__view__findpost__p__2164848

Also, considering that ESSRI does not seem to have an abundance of added preservatives, the act of constantly dipping into an inkwell may increase risk exposure to contamination (SITB and/or SITI).

Bye,

S1

I'm not into writing classics, on many pages.

I'm going to be doing the name of the pen and two Let it Be's....L et it B e one light, and one more ham fisted.

That gives me some action with the nib.

Those nibs with a tad more flex, some Snidely Whiplash handlebar mustache L's. The full flex full English handlebar mustache L, and a few rattle snake S's.

Added a Clipper semi flex M to the mix.

8 pens cleaned out this evening, 4 last night.

Report from the Front. Captain D. J. Esterbrook, class of '48-52, has fallen; shot in the 63 year old sac. Died seeking Majik. Fallen for Ink and Paper, this day 29-11-2011.

Hi,

I hope your samples capture all the things that are most relevant to you. I suppose at times I do more than is necessary, as I'd prefer to write a bit more, rather than clean the pens then realise I'd missed something.

I think that sampling the flex nibs both with and without flex is a great idea!

Oh, it seems that Esties may fall, but are not out of sorts for very long - they have more lives than cats! :meow:

Bye,

S1

I counted papers...I had lots more than I thought I did. True 1/3 of them are only 2 or so sheets. :embarrassed_smile:

I'd been saving them for when I had more inks and more nibs.

And hoping to get more than just 2 pages...but it will give me a sample of the paper in action.

But it's majik time, it's time to expose the papers to the elements, to see what they do; who flies and who makes a six man landing.

I have two papers in the mail, that a nice gent has sent me from the States...so I'm going to wait for those two papers. That will give me 4 or 5 US papers.

I'll have 50 papers; of this and that manufacture; type, weight and so on. 48 are labeled and ready to go.

17 pens wait.

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm300/BoBoOlson/SAM_0473.jpg

The ink well is ready.

And I hope the photos finally come out.

I cheated...loaded it into a semi-flex KOB, and scribbled on three five papers that were laying around. I'm going to like this ink. It shades ever so nice. :thumbup: :notworthy1:

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Finally started and this is going to take a lot longer than planned.

Did three pages of 17 pens in an hour (including horrible handwriting.

I could understand had I spent the proper time to make it legible. and came here because it's boring.

Started with the worst paper, to get an idea how to do it, and get a pattern.

The use of easy full flex, encouraged looking at the fancy L's in maxi-semi-flex and in semi-flex. I 'never' push my semi-flex nibs as hard as I am now.

Well...having a full flex nib did not make me press my semi-flexes instead of using it.

I will press the semi-flex nib only on better paper...and that EF maxi, well I don't see any reason to press it from EF to M, when I got maxi-F's and semi flex M's.

I'm very conservative.....if one presses max on a nib enough it will spring.

At 6 -8 papers a day, it's going to take a week. Then I have to clean 17 pens from 'ing' ink.

I see some paper giving it already a darker tone, as do some nibs. I have to wait till tomorrow to see something, in that a good blue black will have a different tone on the second day.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I suggested decanting the ESSRI into more than one bottle in the Review proper, and have suggested three (!) bottles most recently in Post № 62 above: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/205705-ecclesiastical-stationery-supplies-registrars-ink/page__view__findpost__p__2164772

Oh, somehow I missed that reply. And that makes sense. My current plan is to still get some $0.50 empty bottles from Goulet, but get two 45 ml Aurora bottles and store them in a cool dark place and put the remaining 20 ml in a 30ml Herbin bottle for current use. :)

So, if we are all going to decant our ink, will we need to essentially, decontaminate any bottles we decant the ink into, is that correct? What is the best procedure other than exposing them to a brick of Strotium 90 for a set amount of time? And since some of us will have to add preservatives to the bottles, what will be the best amount per 110 ML? As a final question, where does a person get the disposable pipettes that I often see on the forums?

What Would The Flying Spaghetti Monster Do?

To wash out a bottle of/for ink all you have to do is wash it out with hot water containing a drop or 2 of plain ordinary dishwater detergent. Then wash out with plain tap water. Then rinse with distilled/deionized water, Finally, let water drip out; then dry it out standing up open overnight.

For an anti-microbiolgical agent, get some sodium azide. Highest concentrations necessary are 0.1-0.02% w/v. I.e., for 110 ml, add 0.11 g or less, shake or stir, keep it cool and in the dark. Do not drink while driving!

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

With all the enthusiasm for this ink, Maybe Goulet could be the exclusive North American distributer for this ink? Are you listening Brian?

"What? What's that? WHAT?!!! SPEAK UP, I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!" - Ludwig van Beethoven.

Finally started and this is going to take a lot longer than planned.

Did three pages of 17 pens in an hour (including horrible handwriting.

snip

At 6 -8 papers a day, it's going to take a week. Then I have to clean 17 pens from 'ing' ink.

I see some paper giving it already a darker tone, as do some nibs. I have to wait till tomorrow to see something, in that a good blue black will have a different tone on the second day.

Hi,

Thanks for keeping us up to date on your progress.

I also find it necessary to "include horrible handwriting" - otherwise I would not post a Review until I had learned proper penmanship, which in my case could take a very long time indeed.

I certainly appreciate your time and effort to generate the samples. And to clean the pens.

Bye,

S1

Has anyone tried this in a Lamy Safari? If so, how was the flow?

The safari handles this ink very well. In fact its the perfect pen for IG inks IMO because you can break it down into its component parts very easily for cleaning. Ive used EF F M and all 3 Italic nibs with no problems. The shading with the italics is really good

Alan

So, if we are all going to decant our ink, will we need to essentially, decontaminate any bottles we decant the ink into, is that correct? What is the best procedure other than exposing them to a brick of Strotium 90 for a set amount of time? And since some of us will have to add preservatives to the bottles, what will be the best amount per 110 ML? As a final question, where does a person get the disposable pipettes that I often see on the forums?

Hi,

I'm not totally convinced about the need to add preservatives to the ink. (Am I in denial?)

If the ink comes to us without any nasty wee critters, I like to think that using the three bottle decanting method would also keep any contamination through use confined to the smallest 'filler' bottle. Consequently, the ink in storage is less likely to develop SITB, hence extending its 'best before date'. Also, as the ink is acidic, that may deter biological growth to some small extent. (?)

So I for one will follow the path of careful handling, use of three bottles, and no additives. I will report any odd behaviour [of the ink].

I do not mean to dissuade others from handling the ink as they choose.

I think it would be grand if others would chime-in with their observations of ink behaviour, and describe how they handled the ink.

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

A. My ink from England to Germany (both in the EU, of course) after payment by PayPal still took two weeks, but that's okay (Rolf at Missing Pen takes one day).

B.

.... Consequently, the ink in storage is less likely to develop SITB, hence extending its 'best before date'....

? => Sandy1 -- or anybody else out there-- .... where did you see any 'best before date' in regard to this ink? I don't! <= ?

Best wishes , Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

snip

I telephoned the company and had a nice talk with the lady and am being shipped an other bottle, by air mail.

She said it's a 'small' bottle of ink....110 ml.

And that we are to use it up with in 12 to 18 months in it's not overloaded with chemicals.

snip

snip

B.

.... Consequently, the ink in storage is less likely to develop SITB, hence extending its 'best before date'....

? => Sandy1 -- or anybody else out there-- .... where did you see any 'best before date' in regard to this ink? I don't! <= ?

Best wishes , Mike

Hi,

There is no BBD on the ink bottle. (Or batch ID, or production date.)

That bit of info about the biocide was inferred, ". . . in its not overloaded with chemicals".

However, a critical reading could be that as the chemicals referred to are not ID-ed as biocides, they could be other preservatives / stabilising ingredients.

Bye,

S1

EDIT - to add:

Even if the chemicals referred to are not biocides, adding a low dose of biocide is unlikely to be detrimental.

S1

Edited by Sandy1

Has anyone tried this in a Lamy Safari? If so, how was the flow?
The safari handles this ink very well. In fact its the perfect pen for IG inks IMO because you can break it down into its component parts very easily for cleaning. Ive used EF F M and all 3 Italic nibs with no problems. The shading with the italics is really goodAlan

Thanks Alan; I may have to try ESS out, as I'm looking for a water resist ink :)

Thanks for the review Sandy1!

Let me ask one think. I can't decide between this and RK Salix. From Sandy1 review of both, Salix looks more blue is this correct?

I'm more in search of a high performance, waterproof, ink. So the color is not that important. (But from the scans I prefer Salix color).

Any opinion on performance of Salix compared to the "divine performance" of ESSRI?

“The journey is more important than the destination—that’s part of

life, if you only live for getting to the end, you’re almost always

disappointed.”

Donald E. Knuth

Just filled my Pilot 78G broad nib with this and it is amazing. I have plenty of ESSRI right now, with the generous 110 ml bottle they sent, but I'm tempted to get more. It seems every time I "discover" a unique product it goes out of production. :crybaby:

Edited by januaryman

It is easier to stay out than get out. - Mark Twain

Thanks for the review Sandy1!

Let me ask one think. I can't decide between this and RK Salix. From Sandy1 review of both, Salix looks more blue is this correct?

I'm more in search of a high performance, waterproof, ink. So the color is not that important. (But from the scans I prefer Salix color).

Any opinion on performance of Salix compared to the "divine performance" of ESSRI?

Hi,

You're welcome!

Salix is not as malleable as ESSRI, so gives a more consistent colour, and that colour tends to be more Blue (less Grey-Black from the i-g). Yet, with a specific pen+paper combo, perhaps ESSRI could appear more Blue than Salix.

My Review of Salix : http://www.fountainp...klingner-salix/

In terms of performance, there are few differences. (The two Reviews cover similar points, so can be compared on those points.)

It may be imaginary that the the ESSRI is just a tad nicer when running from a narrow nib. (Advanced hair-splitting - neither are luxurious!)

One aspect that may be different relates to mixing: In a recent interview, R&K mentioned that with the exception of Sepia, their FP inks can be intermingled / mixed. As yet, I have no experience with mixing into ESSRI.

Bye,

S1

EDIT - to add:

Recent interview with R&K, on the Paper and Co. blog

http://paperandco.com/blog/2011/09/rohrerklingner-interview/?lang=en

Edited by Sandy1

Just filled my Pilot 78G broad nib with this and it is amazing. I have plenty of ESSRI right now, with the generous 110 ml bottle they sent, but I'm tempted to get more. It seems every time I "discover" a unique product it goes out of production. :crybaby:

Hi,

Nice to read that ESSRI continues to be amazing!

As Registrars in the UK are required to use ink with certain specifications, I doubt the ESSRI, (or Diamine RI), would go out of production. Indeed, selling into the wider FP User market increases consumption and broadens the consumer base, making it more likely that ink production will continue.

:happyberet:

Bye,

S1