Ecclesiastical Stationery Supplies Registrars Ink

Sandy1

Hi all!

I promised to let you know how things are going with the ESS Registrars Ink as soon as I got my bottle! Of course, I would not even attempt to reach the thoroughness of Sandy1's review, but I think you would like some feedback!

Well, the bottle came today, after only 4 days! After decanting it into a medical brown-glass bottle (thanks for the proposition, Sandy1!) I proceeded to fill my HS 1.3 Stub with the ink and started to scribble! :rolleyes:

First impressions? Excellent! :cloud9: The ink was free-flowing from the HS and to my amazement the ink flow was just perfect - wet but not too wet. See, the problem I have with other inks and my HS Stub is that the nib is too wet with inks like MB Violet and PR Tanzanite and as a consequence I had severe bleed-through that really got me steaming... This is not the case with ESSRI, the flow is just right and there is no bleed/show-through.

What is wonderful with ESSRI is that in papers like Leuchtturm (and, to a lesser degree, Toyale Creme) it changes from blue to dark blue-almost-black in a matter of seconds! What a great ink, especially for the Stub nib; even if dark, it retains the wonderful shading... I am not a big fan of blue inks, but the ESSRI won my heart! :wub:

I think this ink will be with me for a very long dalliance! Posting some pictures, so you can see for yourselves.

✃ snip ✁

Hi,

Many thanks for the follow-up, and adding more informative samples. :thumbup:

It seems as if there are at least two inks residing in that wee bottle! One that appears to be dominated by the Blue dye, the other by the iron-gall!!

Even though I mentioned that choice of paper would ". . . set the basic Look, including exact ink hue (!)", such extreme results were not seen previously. :yikes:

Also, the ESSRI has none of the feathering / woolly line of the ink used for labeling the samples.

I am curious about the change of colour/density, especially the sample on "very crappy paper": Does the appearance change to a more dense Blue-Black as time passes?

I believe you have clearly demonstrated the need for sampling of the paper and pens prior to committing to their use when a specific Look is desired.

Thanks again!

Bye,

S1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sandy1

• Bo Bo Olson

• JimB

• Chiro75

Top Posters In This Topic

I have two bottles somewhere between UK and LA; hope they arrive by mid-week next week.

I read in this thread that it takes about nine days from UK to USA.

I am quite positive that you are going to like this ink, especially with a juicy nib... :thumbup:

fpn_1355507962__snailbadge.png

I hope to put the ink in my wet Homo sapiens pens. I use them for writing "to self", and want a fairly resistant ink.

Jeffery

In the Irish Channel of

New Orleans, LA

Even though I mentioned that choice of paper would ". . . set the basic Look, including exact ink hue (!)", such extreme results were not seen previously. :yikes:

Also, the [/font] ESSRI has none of the feathering / woolly line of the ink used for labeling the samples.

I am curious about the change of colour/density, especially the sample on "very crappy paper": Does the appearance change to a more dense Blue-Black as time passes?

I believe you have clearly demonstrated the need for sampling of the paper and pens prior to committing to their use when a specific Look is desired.

Thanks again!

Bye,

S1

Hello!

You are right about the extreme blue in the "very crappy" paper of mine, it popped my eyes out too! The truth is that the color darkened in about a day, but the darkening time is much more than what I observed in the other two paper samples (which was about 5 secs for the Leuchtturm and 2-3 minutes for the Toyale). I scanned the samples about one hour after writing them.

I am glad that you noticed the feathering of the Iroshizuku Yama Budo ink, which I used to label the samples. I used my Stipula Model T and, truth be said, this ink with juicy pens (like HS Stub and Model T) exhibits annoying feathering in both the Leuchtturm (supposedly "ink friendly" :gaah: ) and Toyale, but not in the crappy paper! Not to mention the bleed-through... :headsmack: Isn't that sad, that an ink that costs so much more behaves worse than a much cheaper ink like ESSRI? Honest to God, I am actually thinking of loading the ESSRI in my Model T and be done with Yama Budo - even if I love the color... Well, at least until I get a pen with a dry nib! :embarrassed_smile:

Kali nichta (=Good night in Greek!)

Aris

Edited by Korybas
fpn_1355507962__snailbadge.png

My money bush staggered in today. Six months late in it's annual migration over the Alps.

All sorts of excuses. :headsmack:

*Some Greek named Ulysses conned him into going to Greece. Some tourist boat captain named Jason had him strong armed by some big burly Greek name Herky, and made him row to Georgia over by Russia, to get some wool.

The sheep wasn't the only thing sheared by them pesky Greeks.

Sigh, my money bush told me it's time for him to head south for the winter. Can't talk him out of it. I warned him it's the most dangerous time in Italy since Attila shook down the Pope. .... for money bushes...a very dangerous time.

As my bush finishes the last of my 'free beer' he says;

"A Bush has got to do what a Bush Got to Do, when it comes to adventurous life of money, markets; and the dry cleaning business."

Ink ordered.

*European in-jokes.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I ordered mine November 4, got it yesterday, the 15th. Pretty darn fast. :clap1:

I immediately inked up my Bulow X750 and gave it a try. It laid down a very faint light blue line on note pad paper that before my eyes darked to a deeper blue and then a nice blue-black with shading I could see even with the medium nib. I may have gotten a bit of water from the converter that I washed out, so it may be different in a drier convertor. Now I'm not in love with blue-black anyway, but this is pretty darn nice. :thumbup:

Bad news: I pocketed the pen in my white striped shirt and walked about with it for a while. I guess I didn't wipe the pen as clean as I should have, because the wife pointed out there was ink on the pocket and underneath. :headsmack: Might have lost that shirt... not sure it will come out in the wash.

The ink on my hands, however, washed off with no problem at all.

Edit: BTW, no feathering, no bleed through, no show through on even the cheapest copier paper that my office uses in our laser printers.

AND - Another Thank You to Sandy1 for pointing me in the direction of this excellent ink! Your ink reviews are stellar!

Edited by januaryman

It is easier to stay out than get out. - Mark Twain

Thanks for the review, I just bought my first bottle. So excited to try it! It is gorgeous!

Hi,

You're welcome!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! :thumbup:

Bye,

S1

My money bush staggered in today. Six months late in it's annual migration over the Alps.

All sorts of excuses. :headsmack:

✃ snip ✁

Ink ordered.

*European in-jokes.

Hi Bo Bo

Once you've had time to use ESSRI with a few of your different pens & papers, please let us know of your experiences!

Bye,

S1

I ordered mine November 4, got it yesterday, the 15th. Pretty darn fast. :clap1:

I immediately inked up my Bulow X750 and gave it a try. It laid down a very faint light blue line on note pad paper that before my eyes darked to a deeper blue and then a nice blue-black with shading I could see even with the medium nib. I may have gotten a bit of water from the converter that I washed out, so it may be different in a drier convertor. Now I'm not in love with blue-black anyway, but this is pretty darn nice. :thumbup:

Bad news: I pocketed the pen in my white striped shirt and walked about with it for a while. I guess I didn't wipe the pen as clean as I should have, because the wife pointed out there was ink on the pocket and underneath. :headsmack: Might have lost that shirt... not sure it will come out in the wash.

The ink on my hands, however, washed off with no problem at all.

Edit: BTW, no feathering, no bleed through, no show through on even the cheapest copier paper that my office uses in our laser printers.

AND - Another Thank You to Sandy1 for pointing me in the direction of this excellent ink! Your ink reviews are stellar!

Hi,

You're welcome!

Even if you're "not in love with blue-black", a meaningful relationship may still be possible! B)

About the shirt: I am not an expert on cleaning textiles, but i-g inks are known to be susceptible to eradication from paper with the use of bleach. So appropriate use of a colour-safe bleach just might do the necessary. (Test on other similar expendable cloth before using on your shirt.)

I hope ESSRI also gives the desired results from your Pelikan.

Bye,

S1

I just received my two bottles of blue black. It is remarkable to see the writing go from a nice shade of blue to a darker shade of blue black literally within seconds. I like the resulting shade much better than MB.

Glad I bought two bottles! It will probably replace my blues and blacks.

Jeffery

In the Irish Channel of

New Orleans, LA

I just received my two bottles of blue black. It is remarkable to see the writing go from a nice shade of blue to a darker shade of blue black literally within seconds. I like the resulting shade much better than MB.

Glad I bought two bottles! It will probably replace my blues and blacks.

Hi,

Many thanks for adding your impressions of ESSRI. :thumbup:

Please let us know if you come across any spectacular pens / papers to use in conjunction with this ink. And any best avoided!

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

Just got my bottle today. I tried on a rulled tablette paper sold at University of Montreal (in french: tablette UDM lignée perforée, 8½X11 product number 145803). It is the worst paper made for writing I ever found for an FP. Even Noodler's Black can't really deal with it. It drink ink like a sponge.

It seem this ink can do a better job with it. I still got some feathering but less. I won't say it is perfect. But my writing was still readeable. I would just recommand to avoid this paper at all cost. It is junk for any FP ink.

Messmer

Just got my bottle today. I tried on a rulled tablette paper sold at University of Montreal (in french: tablette UDM lignée perforée, 8½X11 product number 145803). It is the worst paper made for writing I ever found for an FP. Even Noodler's Black can't really deal with it. It drink ink like a sponge.

It seem this ink can do a better job with it. I still got some feathering but less. I won't say it is perfect. But my writing was still readeable. I would just recommand to avoid this paper at all cost. It is junk for any FP ink.

Hi,

Many thanks for adding your experience with ESSRI to this thread! :thumbup:

Thanks also for being specific in identifying the paper that should be avoided. I hope that paper is not mandatory for any courses, (like some lab & field notebooks.)

Bye,

S1

Hi,

Many thanks for adding your experience with ESSRI to this thread! :thumbup:

Thanks also for being specific in identifying the paper that should be avoided. I hope that paper is not mandatory for any courses, (like some lab & field notebooks.)

Bye,

S1

I also did some test with this https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/195684-2-fp-friendly-notebook/ paper. It work like a charm with ESS.

Messmer

I did some writing on Levenger Storyboard Paper. The paper seems very rough (the nib drags in it), but I didn't see any feathering. On Rhodia Web Notebook paper, the ink shows no sign of feathering but takes a few more seconds to appear dry. I wouldn't hesitate to use it on Levenger Circa paper based on this preliminary experience.

Jeffery

In the Irish Channel of

New Orleans, LA

I got my 2 bottles in the mail yesterday. Now the problem. What do I decant the stuff into? I need to move it from the plastic to glass. Nice looking glass......very nice looking glass preferred. I have the Twsbi ink bottles but I need something in a larger volume. Anyone have any good ideas?

What Would The Flying Spaghetti Monster Do?

How timely that this thread popped up, as I've been asking for a day or two for suggestions on a quick-drying, quite permanent ink in blue-black to black shades. Someone mentioned ESSRI and now I've seen this. It looks like a great solution! Just two quick questions, being an i-g n00b:

1. While I can think of a few pens that would be nice to have this in, the pen I'm aiming to find the ink for is an Esterbrook 444 desk pen and "Dip-Less" inkwell. Being that the ink will be sitting in the well, as well as the pen sitting in that ink, do I have concerns? Do i-g inks (in the bottle) need to be shaken, and would the ink sitting in the inkwell 'settle', or is it not even an issue?

2. Since all it is is a nib sitting in the ink, it doesn't seem like cleaning will be a big issue, but since it could be in there for weeks (until I use it up), any thoughts? And the ink that is sitting in the capillary portion of the inkwell?

Heck, I'll probably get it anyway! Sandy1, I had to laugh when I read in your review the "Soul Source" for the ink - have I missed that in past reviews, or did you just include "Soul" because of the Ecclesiastical nature? Or is this Aretha's preferred ink?

Thanks - great review, as always...

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin