What Do You Mean By "feathering"?

jzents

Those are great shots, Doug!

It's never too late to hand out something like this. Good choice of all materials used.

Mike http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu264/peli46/Applause.png

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

• 9 years later...
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jzents

• SamCapote

• lapis

• Lazarus Long

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ink feathering is about too much ink outflow from the nib of the pen, especially fountain pen.

Edited by Fiona123

52 minutes ago, Fiona123 said:

Ink feathering is about too much ink outflow from the nib of the pen, especially fountain pen.

Sorry, but I disagree with you. You could write on non-absorbent paper and get no feathering from however ‘wet’ a line of ink you put down with the pen; the marks on the page may simply take ‘forever’ to dry. On the other hand, on absorbent paper with coarse fibres, I can draw a very thin line in ink with a very narrow needlepoint nib, and there would still be opportunity and instances for the ink to travel some observable distance along the fibres, away from the boundaries of the marks, before it has the chance to fully dry and set.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

8 minutes ago, A Smug Dill said:

Sorry, but I disagree with you. You could write on non-absorbent paper and get no feathering from however ‘wet’ a line of ink you put down with the pen; the marks on the page may simply take ‘forever’ to dry. On the other hand, on absorbent paper with coarse fibres, I can draw a very thin line in ink with a very narrow needlepoint nib, and there would still be opportunity and instances for the ink to travel some observable distance along the fibres, away from the boundaries of the marks, before it has the chance to fully dry and set.

Fully agree with this.

Even using a Pilot F or EF nib, I can get feathering on the terrible copy paper my work uses with an iron gall ink or something else relatively dry like Pelikan 4001 Blue. I finally had to buy my own paper for one specific application because I needed to fill in spreadsheets printed out in tiny print, and even just making a tick mark I could have it feather into an adjacent block.

On the other hand, even on humble Rhodia(which for a lot of FP folks at least in the US is a reference paper), I can use a big wet writing B or BB nib with a wet ink and get no noticeable feathering.

I think it's also worth mentioning, though, that if you're too heavy handed you CAN "scratch" the surface of the paper and get feathering on even relatively good paper. This seems to me to be especially prevalent in very fine firm nibs. To that point also, one of my dislikes of the Noodler's flex nibs is that, IME, they need enough pressure to flex that you're in danger of this happening also.

I'm with @A Smug Dill and @bunnspecial - feathering is about the paper or about exerting so much pressure that the nib cuts the paper fibers (of otherwise good paper), thereby allowing ink to soak into said fibers.  The only way the pen itself (without excess pressure) causes feathering is if there's a flaw in the nib that causes it to cut paper (e.g. a burr or otherwise excessively sharp edge on the tipping material, but these are just theoretical - I've never heard of them happening in real life).

9 hours ago, Fiona123 said:

Hope this reply is not too late.

Ink feathering is a spreading outline from where the ink was laid down. This is more common for those who use a fountain pen with a low quality. A good fountain pen supposed to produce a clean and solid outline.

The nib of the pen is the leading factor that we need to note.

Read more: [link redacted]

Your link takes me to a web page that looks like a nicely formatted blog page with the same information.  But on further inspection it actually is a business which sells the products that are described on the blog page.  Kinda cheesy how all the "Editor's Pick" entries are for products sold there.  This post seems like an ad.

What I mean by feathering is when inks flock together, particularly in avian scenarios.

With the new FPN rules, now I REALLY don't know what to put in my signature.