Substitute For Silicone Grease

sajiskumar

Would TWSBI silicone grease be OK? Or is that just for the piston mechanism, and not for section threads etc?

Parker 51 Vacumatic 0.7 Masuyama stub; TWSBI 540 M; TWSBI 580 1.1; Mabie, Todd and Bard 3200 stub; Waterman 14 Eyedropper F; 2 x Hero 616; several flexible dip nibs

owned for a time: Parker 45 flighter Pendleton stub, Parker 51 aerometric F, Parker 51 Special 0.7 Binder stub, Sheaffer Valiant Snorkel M, Lamy Joy Calligraphy 1.5 mm, Pelikan M200 M, Parker Vacumatic US Azure Blue M, Parker Vacumatic Canada Burgundy F, Waterman 12 Eyedropper, Mabie Todd SF2 flexible F

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ron Z

• Pen Nut

• Scrawler

• sajiskumar

Would TWSBI silicone grease be OK? Or is that just for the piston mechanism, and not for section threads etc?

Yes, but the TWSBI is more of a thinner oil consistency than silicone grease.

With the new FPN rules, now I REALLY don't know what to put in my signature.

Has PTFE in aerosol form been evaluated for piston lubrication? I noted some for sale at Tool Station today alongside their silicone sprays and wondered how different they were.

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

I'll make a note, too, that beeswax is used by fly tyers (or was . . . I'm still using some of my grandfather's supplies from sometime around the Pleistocene). You might find a small cake of it in a shop catering to fly tyers. Dubbing wax is a little softer and stickier (it's used to stick underfur trimmings to thread for use as a fly body), but I don't recall what's mixed with the beeswax to give it that consistency.

--Bob Farace

~~scribbler~~

• 8 months later...

As a soapmaker, I have the following things handy: coconut oil, palm oil, shea butter. Can I use a small bit of any of those on the section threads of a Preppy in place of silicon grease? I REALLY dislike the Platinum Preppy "Violet" (NOT! It's a reddish purple. Ick..), and am looking forward to filling it with a purple I don't hate... but I also don't want to buy a container of silicon grease for this one pen.

"What the space program needs is more English majors." -- Michael Collins, Gemini 10/Apollo 11

Hi,

In my place it is difficult to get Silicone Grease. Can I use Petroleum Jelly as an alternative?.

Is there any adverse effect in using this substitute in materials other than rubber/ebonite?

Please advise.

Thanks

-saji

Plenty of silcone grease available on e bay.

$3.37 at your local Home Depot.

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/300/f0/f0feaaa4-7296-4def-a02c-46d650c509b7_300.jpg

when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?

As a soapmaker, I have the following things handy: coconut oil, palm oil, shea butter. Can I use a small bit of any of those on the section threads of a Preppy in place of silicon grease? I REALLY dislike the Platinum Preppy "Violet" (NOT! It's a reddish purple. Ick..), and am looking forward to filling it with a purple I don't hate... but I also don't want to buy a container of silicon grease for this one pen.

I would not use any of these on/in a pen. You do not want to use a biological product on your pen just because it's handy, especially an oil. Bees wax may be the exception. Consider the cost of replacing the pen VS the cost of the silicone grease. I am all for being thrifty. But there are IMO times when being thrifty isn't thrifty, its being cheap. My experience is that being thrifty is good. Being cheap can get you into trouble.

re. PTFE in a spray. The problem is not the teflon. The problem is the vehicle that is used to carry the teflon so that you can spray it. Some of these can damage plastics Use silicone.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

This might be strange but I recently had some luck with automotive grease.

There is an automotive silicone grease that is quite acceptable. I would have to go find my notes for the name and item number for it. It is sold in auto shops for the purposes of applying to the battery terminals.

mmmmm I suppose its how you define 'luck'. Its the time factor that also concerns me, just what can occur 12 months down the line if the product selected is not compatible with your resin (precious or otherwise) and cracks start to show :crybaby:

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

There is an automotive silicone grease that is quite acceptable. I would have to go find my notes for the name and item number for it. It is sold in auto shops for the purposes of applying to the battery terminals.

I think mine is just general grease.

mmmmm I suppose its how you define 'luck'. Its the time factor that also concerns me, just what can occur 12 months down the line if the product selected is not compatible with your resin (precious or otherwise) and cracks start to show :crybaby:

Actually you're correct. I'll stop being lazy to buy some silicon grease in the morning.

I think mine is just general grease.

http://www.runemasterstudios.com/graemlins/images/ack.gif :sick: http://www.runemasterstudios.com/graemlins/images/crazy.gif

There is no icon here that adequately expresses my horror.

http://www.runemasterstudios.com/graemlins/images/fear.gif

I discovered mine at Fleet Farm (not sure if other people have these...I know they're called Farm & Fleet elsewhere...they're huge farm/livestock/tools/pretty-much-everything stores.

I had to ask someone to help me find it. No one had heard of "silicone grease," but when I asked for "dielectric grease" they pointed me to it in automotive right away.

It was labeled "silicone grease," so I'm not sure what the confusion was. It was the little round white plastic container pictured in this thread. I guess it is just more commonly called/thought of as "dielectric grease."

Like the old Porsche ads stated..."There is no substitute."

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

I would not use any of these on/in a pen. You do not want to use a biological product on your pen just because it's handy, especially an oil. Bees wax may be the exception. Consider the cost of replacing the pen VS the cost of the silicone grease. I am all for being thrifty. But there are IMO times when being thrifty isn't thrifty, its being cheap. My experience is that being thrifty is good. Being cheap can get you into trouble.

In general, if it were an expensive or special pen, I totally agree with you.

In this case, the grease costs more than the pen (a Preppy). But I also have beeswax, so I'll give that a try first.

Thanks!

"What the space program needs is more English majors." -- Michael Collins, Gemini 10/Apollo 11

• 2 years later...
  • 6 months later...

Geez! Can there maybe be a pin stating: The Experts seem to agree that the only grease they would use in a pen is 100% pure silicone grease, take your chances with anything else!

Looking for a black SJ Transitional Esterbrook Pen. (It's smaller than an sj)

Geez! Can there maybe be a pin stating: The Experts seem to agree that the only grease they would use in a pen is 100% pure silicone grease, take your chances with anything else!

+1