Review Edison Hakumin

Strang

This is my first topic since my new member introduction some time ago, so I apologize in advance for any and all mistakes.

I ordered this pen from Brian Grey at Edison and Ernest Shin at Hakumin. It, like fine wine, took a lot of time and effort to complete. I went into the process with only very vague ideas about the finished product. Looking at some of Brian's custom work, I made a few suggestions. He came up with a basic shape and size for the ebonite "canvas" which Ernest would complete. Brian also contributed the wonderful broad stub nib. As for my input to the final product, I must thank Ernest for sticking with me when I seemed to have no ideas. I gave him the Kanji quotation ("mood of the poem" or "poet's mood as he writes" or thereabouts) and suggested the placement and desire for raden bands, and later the finish and colour of the pen and the colours of raden. All of which required considerable prompting from Ernest. I made no further contribution. Ernest sent me diagrams of his design and Brian sent me photos of the turned pen. What you see below is the finished product. To say it is my grail pen would be an understatement. I could not have visualized an outcome as close to my idea of a perfect pen, but Brian and Ernest came up with just that. Although I promised a "review" in the title, there is little point in going through catagories and awarding a 10 out of 10 in every case.

The first three pics were taken by Ernest, the others are mine. I apologize for my poor photography.

[edited to say to the mods: If this is posted in the wrong forum, please feel free to move it.]

post-19566-0-48206400-1314998362.jpg

post-19566-0-09008000-1314998400.jpg

post-19566-0-10516900-1314998444.jpg

post-19566-0-95990100-1314998480.jpg

post-19566-0-83157200-1314998519.jpg

post-19566-0-15882400-1314998581.jpg

post-19566-0-05056100-1314998753.jpg

Edited by Strang

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Strang

• jde

• watch_art

• raging.dragon

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Simply gorgeous. I'm glad you were able to get the pen of your dreams and what better craftsmen than Brian and Ernest to make that dream some true. :thumbup:

Equal Opportunity Ink and Fountain Pen User.

My blog: The Dizzy Pen

That is definitely a one of a kind and beautiful.

Congratulations on a great pen. :notworthy1:

Amos

The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once.

Albert Einstein

That is a fabulous pen! Congratulations. Wow.

...writing only requires focus, and something to write on. —John August

...and a pen that's comfortable in the hand.—moi

Absolutely gorgeous!

Congratulations on a very fine pen!

Scribere est agere.

To write is to act.

Danitrio Fellowship

AMAZING!

I've said it before---Edison pens is THE next great american pen company--can't be beat!

www.stevelightart.com

Stunning ! Congrats on a great pen!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

+1 on the stunning! May you enjoy it every day.

"We're out of cornflakes. F.U.' It took me three hours to figure out F.U. stood for Felix Unger!"

Oh, wow! Just... wow! Congratulations!

Yuki

http://i54.tinypic.com/16jj9fb.jpg

Follow me on twitter! @crypticjunky

~And the words, they're everything and nothing. I want to search for her in the offhand remarks.~

What a gorgeous pen! The envy!

In some things in life it's better to take a Zen approach. If you think too much you won't achieve your goal, wheras if you don't think and let yourself go, it shall be achieved with ease. I find this helpful in writing, kendo and music.

*Swoon*

(You know it's a tremendous *swoon* when it's italicized.)

P.S. I am jealous. (In the good way. In the GOOD way!)

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

Wow. I've not been a fan of the Pearl body, but that finish changes everything. Gorgeous!

"Life is too big for words, so don't try to describe it. Just live it."

- C.S. Lewis

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

Absolutely, utterly beautiful. Like Ethernautrix, I find this pen passes the jealousy test with ease. Thanks for sharing!

"Love takes off masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within."

--James Baldwin

fpn_1345308125__danifellowship.jpg