Pilot Custom 845 = Pilot's Sad Flagship ?

Patrick L

I believe you could argue that the next step is the Namiki Youkari Royal (in red and black urushi). If I remember correctly, in Japan is "only" 2.5 times the retail price of the 845. You are absolutely right about the compatibility with the 742 and 743 range as I point out in my previous post.

The model known as the Yukari Royale in Namiki, USA lineup (It is simply called Lacquer No. 20 in Japan) is not urushi over ebonite, rather it is urushi over brass for the cap and barrel and urushi over acrylic for the section.

I hope this helps.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• nicholasyeo

• Patrick L

• Icywolfe

• Algester

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I started a massdrop for the 845 but I doubt they'd actually do it (https://www.massdrop.com/vote/-COMPARE-Urushi-Pens).

I bought an 845 B vermillion on classifieds and love the look of it but it had some hard starting problems so I sent it to Dan Smith. The B nib is also wider that I like so I'll probably end up selling it and buying an F or M.

I really wish engeika sold that vermilion 845. I would be all over that.

This place does:

http://www.japanshop-quill.com/pilot-custom845.php

Several people here have reported ordering with no problems from this Japanese seller. It is where I intend to buy mine later this year.

The prizes of life are never to be had without trouble - Horace
Kind words do not cost much, yet they accomplish much - Pascal

You are never too old to set a new goal or dream a new dream - C.S. Lewis

Favorite shop:https://www.fountainpenhospital.com

well then thats interesting I though thick nibs would be ground in a stubish way...

I see no reason to believe that to be some general or "by default" (as you put it) rule. You certainly should not have claimed it to be the case on the 845; giving "firm" opinions on matters that are not backed by actual experience or fact can unhelpfully mislead people.

I see no reason to believe that to be some general or "by default" (as you put it) rule. You certainly should not have claimed it to be the case on the 845; giving "firm" opinions on matters that are not backed by actual experience or fact can unhelpfully mislead people.

Well generally its flat on the bottom like the C nib. C nib is like BBB or add a few more B's. Basically sharpie marker.

But it's actually stubby like: http://www.japanshop-quill.com/pilot-custom845/img/pilot-custom15bb2.jpg

#Nope

Well generally its flat on the bottom like the C nib. C nib is like BBB or add a few more B's. Basically sharpie marker.

But it's actually stubby like: http://www.japanshop-quill.com/pilot-custom845/img/pilot-custom15bb2.jpg

I don't know about the C nib; the comment was about the BB nib. I have now owned 4 of the 845s and currently own two (black lacquer and Custom Enju) with BB nibs. There is absolutely nothing even remotely stub-like about them, and it is misleading for people to insist on conveying an impression to the contrary. And more so under a theory that broad nibs are "stub-like" by default.

I don't know about the C nib; the comment was about the BB nib. I have now owned 4 of the 845s and currently own two (black lacquer and Custom Enju) with BB nibs. There is absolutely nothing even remotely stub-like about them, and it is misleading for people to insist on conveying an impression to the contrary. And more so under a theory that broad nibs are "stub-like" by default.

All I was saying was the as the level of thicknesses was M > B > BB > C and people know that M and C are slightly flat. More so for the C nib. It was within reason to assume B and BB must have a flat side. And according to that image there is a certain flatter area on the nib.

#Nope

All I was saying was the as the level of thicknesses was M > B > BB > C and people know that M and C are slightly flat. More so for the C nib. It was within reason to assume B and BB must have a flat side. And according to that image there is a certain flatter area on the nib.

There could be a "certain flatter area", to go along with a corresponding rounder area. But so? The broader the nib, the larger will be the "flat" surface where it meets the paper.

I am "talking" about an actual BB nib on such a pen and the writing with such a nib. "Stub-like", as most people understand it, means more than "there's a bit there that looks flat". In any case, even it is just a matter of "looks", a close-up of a "stub-like" nib ought to dispel any illusions.

Edited by FriendAmos

My "M", "C" or "B" nibs from Platinum are not even remotely stubbish in nature. I'm not sure you understand what a stub or italic nib really looks like.

http://www.fototime.com/829583F3F0D689D/large.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/66D3483F0699188/large.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/D29D43A22EE3CBA/large.jpg

My Website

My vermilion 845 with Waverley nib shipped from Tokyo today. It will be interesting to compare it to my Namiki vermilion Yukari Royale and my 823, both of which have medium nibs.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

This picture from Leigh Reyes instagram is so beautiful

I think my heart skipped a beat ...

attachicon.gif823 & 845.jpg

Not to mention what looks like a Dorsal Fin 2 Nakaya peeking out of the pen roll.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

• 2 months later...

ha ha ha good luck with that one .

Yes.....famous last words....I think I said that about six pens ago.........!

Don't set yourself on fire to keep others warm..................

• 2 months later...

The only things I'd like to add are:

1) Yes, higher end pens tend to have integrated piston fillers. It's more "elegant" to dip the pen nib into ink with the pen body still fully assembled and turn away for filling. But, such fillers are prone to needing maintenance over time. And that can be an expensive proposition if you don't know how to do it yourself. Pilot/Namiki solved this with the super fine CON-70 converter. This is a high quality converter that you pump. And it's quick. No screwing down, and screwing up. You're in and out in moments, ready to write again. If anything ever goes wrong, you just buy a new converter.

2) Urushi. Admittedly, the subtleties of urushi don't scream out at you when it's black. From visual observation, it looks like nothing more than "precious resin." But hold it and you feel a difference. It's "glamorously" smooth. And yet, scratch resistant, more so than resin. My only gripe is that there is no ink window.

3) I think most people from the USA and Europe who admire a glossy black pen with gold accents think of Montblanc first and foremost. They don't think of "Pilot". Pilot is a maker of disposable ballpoint and gel pens, right? In Japan, it's a different story. No doubt, the gold furniture on a Montblanc is stunning. But... the cap of the Custom 845 is a real beauty. Take a look at that gold band up close and you'll see. The proportion and appearance is truly stunning. My only gripe is... I'd rather the clip say "Namiki" instead of "Pilot". It's just more Japanese sounding to me.

So the main reason why there aren't more reviews is that outside of Japan/Asia, most people don't think of high end pens with the name Pilot. Pilot could see more if they marketed the pen better... and perhaps under the Namiki name. But, on the other hand, Pilot has pride in its name. And so if feels it is deserving to have the company name on this pen.

Incidentally, back in 2008 I bought this pen for $320 shipped. Still today, you look at auctions and most of the time this pen is closing over $300. So it's holding its resale value very well.

Edited by MYU

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

I love my Pilot 845. I use every day over M600. Lamy 2k, Sailor 1911L, Montblanc 146, & 149.

After 6 month of hard use, it still looks new. It is an amazing pen.

A true flagship. :wub:

I think of my FPs as my children.

Now I'm curious to try this pen. I have and love my 823. Curious what you 845 aficionados prefer about it over the 823, besides the urushi of course.