Pilot Custom 845 = Pilot's Sad Flagship ?

Patrick L

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• nicholasyeo

• Patrick L

• Icywolfe

• Algester

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Good to see this topic bumped up. I'm in the market for this pen and it's good to see the few topics about it generating interest again.

Pilot has handicapped this pen from the get go. Very limited selection of nibs. Really only available in basic black, not marketed outside of Japan. You would think they would give it the treatment it deserves. Offer a few of the usual urushi offerings with their entire line of nibs. I bet if they did that, the pen would take off.

The global marketplace has changed significantly since the original post. Today the dollar is at 120 Yen. Back when this post was started in Sept. 2011 the dollar was only worth 76 Yen.

The pen retails for 50,000 Yen. In 2011 that was equal to $657, today it's closer at $415. All that being said, it is available at engeika.com for $292 shipped (using a 10% off coupon code).

I think the current cost of this pen completely changes its position in the pen landscape, as well as its overall appeal. At $292 I find it to be a pretty good value.

post-96214-0-89433800-1451760401_thumb.png

Edited by n2o

I suppose I can finally buy this pen that the JPY is dropping.

I find this pen extremely sexy. In it's black simplicity and small gold trimming. :puddle: :puddle: :puddle: I was going to describe it in another way.... but that would've made me look creepy.

#Nope

The global marketplace has changed significantly since the original post. Today the dollar is at 120 Yen. Back when this post was started in Sept. 2011 the dollar was only worth 76 Yen.
The pen retails for 50,000 Yen. In 2011 that was equal to $657, today it's closer at $415. All that being said, it is available at engeika.com for $292 shipped (using a 10% off coupon code).
I think the current cost of this pen completely changes its position in the pen landscape, as well as its overall appeal. At $292 I find it to be a pretty good value.

What's the coupon code?

ha ha ha good luck with that one .

Well . . . one can hope. I'm glad you got a chuckle out of it Tartuffo.

The prizes of life are never to be had without trouble - Horace
Kind words do not cost much, yet they accomplish much - Pascal

You are never too old to set a new goal or dream a new dream - C.S. Lewis

Favorite shop:https://www.fountainpenhospital.com

What make and model is that pen to the left?

Слава Україні!

Slava Ukraini!

STR:11 DEX: 5 CON:5 INT:17 WIS:11 CHA:3

Wielding: BIC stick of poor judgment (-3,-5) {cursed}

The coupon was BYE2015 and it looks like the coupon banner has been removed from the site. Just keep your eyes open, I see coupon codes there every couple weeks.

I love my Pilot 845. I love writing with it more than my Pilot 823, Pelikan M600, MB 146, Sailor 1911, Lamy 2000. It always starts. doesn't skip. It is light, classy understated design, 2-tone nib. And the URSHI finish is like nothing on the market. The con-70 also holds a ton of ink.

BTW, the reason that it isn't offered outside of japan is because Pilot wants to promote their Namiki lineup.

I think of my FPs as my children.

For those who may be interested in the red urushi 845 (or a broader nib selection), see the following site:

http://www.japanshop-quill.com/pilot-custom845.php

In addition to the usual #15 F-M-B-BB 18k nibs, there are #15 FA and Waverley 14k nibs available. I'm not aware of anyone else who is doing this. I would have ordered a red 845 with a Waverley nib if I hadn't fallen in love with a Namiki Yukari Royale Vermilion at the DC show last year. I still may get the 845 at some point.

At my office, I'm using an 823 medium that I bought from an FPN friend last year. It goes forever between fills, and never causes any problems. These are big pens with big nibs, but they are utterly reliable.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

What make and model is that pen to the left?

for the maruzen pen fair? the far left is an Ohashido 100K yen for 8 pieces

in Ao tanemuri

One thing against 845: It is not marketed outside Japan. It means no stub nib. This would be a definitive deal breaker even if I could afford it.

845 comes with a BB nib which by default has stub like properties... but not a true stub Edited by Algester

in Ao tenemuri

Ah, one of those tiny Japanese brands that make really cool pens that I can't afford

The 845 used to be on my (long) list of pens I'd like to buy eventually, but my understanding is that the section is plastic. Seems a bit annoying that a pen with a nifty material and nifty lacquer would have the part you actually hold in the same dull material as the less expensive models. I'm guessing it is to avoid staining the section when you ink it, even though the Urushi should protect the ebonite, but as far as I know both Pilot and others make Urushi coated pens where the lacquer is used on the section.

Слава Україні!

Slava Ukraini!

STR:11 DEX: 5 CON:5 INT:17 WIS:11 CHA:3

Wielding: BIC stick of poor judgment (-3,-5) {cursed}

Ah, one of those tiny Japanese brands that make really cool pens that I can't afford

The 845 used to be on my (long) list of pens I'd like to buy eventually, but my understanding is that the section is plastic. Seems a bit annoying that a pen with a nifty material and nifty lacquer would have the part you actually hold in the same dull material as the less expensive models. I'm guessing it is to avoid staining the section when you ink it, even though the Urushi should protect the ebonite, but as far as I know both Pilot and others make Urushi coated pens where the lacquer is used on the section.

But I don't think you're supposed to dunk the Yukari into the bottle.

#Nope

The 845 is the cheapest "Urushi over ebonite" pen that Pilot offers. I think they have managed this by keeping several parts common with the plastic custom lineup. Which is why the plastic parts (in black)become glaringly obvious when you see the other 845 colors like red or green. You can say the 845 is built to a price point. For the full lacquer over ebonite experience from Pilot(Namiki), the range starts with the Jumbo Urushi which is atleast 5 times the price of the 845.

HTH

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

The general saddness comes from the fact that the original nib selection is like non-existant.

But, who bumped a 4-5 year old topic? >:[

I love zombie threads...

Actually, your nib selection can be very vast. You can seamlessly unscrew the nib section and replace it with a nib section (and nib) from a Custom 723. Of course you will not get the bicolor nib... but this way you have access to all Pilot nib range. And both 723 and 845 sport the same nib size.

The 845 is the cheapest "Urushi over ebonite" pen that Pilot offers. I think they have managed this by keeping several parts common with the plastic custom lineup. Which is why the plastic parts (in black)become glaringly obvious when you see the other 845 colors like red or green. You can say the 845 is built to a price point. For the full lacquer over ebonite experience from Pilot(Namiki), the range starts with the Jumbo Urushi which is atleast 5 times the price of the 845.

HTH

I believe you could argue that the next step is the Namiki Youkari Royal (in red and black urushi). If I remember correctly, in Japan is "only" 2.5 times the retail price of the 845. You are absolutely right about the compatibility with the 742 and 743 range as I point out in my previous post.

I will get an 845 this year and will really try to stop buying any more FP's after that.

New year's resolution? Does not sound convincing...

in Ao tanemuri

845 comes with a BB nib which by default has stub like properties... but not a true stub

Not on mine. I have two with BB nib and they are round balls. Very round balls. Why do you say "by default"?