"business" Trip To Hong Kong

Regan

Wait! :yikes: Before you judge me and accuse me of some sordid journey to Hong Kong, please let me explain myself first!

I'm going on a trip to Hong Kong in a few months and I thought that I'd be able to pick up a few pens along the way seeing that they are relatively cheap.

The main question I have is about their quality. Being asian, I know how to bargain/haggle and I'm not stupid enough to buy pens off the street (like in China). What I do lack however, is experience in asian fountain pens.

While some people hold the stereotype that all pens made in china and its surrounding environs are blatant rip offs, I was wondering if there were any "real" pens to keep a look out for while on my journeys.

If you have any suggestions as to:

a) what type of pens they have in Hong Kong

or b ) if there are any good pen shops in Hong Kong

and if you could tell me here, that would be uber awesome.

Once again, I defer to your experience, as us mere mortals can not fully comprehend the different types, makes or models to be found in the East.

Thanks for your inputs everyone! I hope to come out of Hong Kong with a head full of memories and a pocketful of pens B)

P.S. for suggestions, please keep them around US $100

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Regan

• Pepin

• professionaldilettante

• raging.dragon

Top Posters In This Topic

Hero is a good brand. My mom said she's grown up with them and that they've been pretty good. You might need to fiddle with it, but they should be nice writers. I have one or two, but admit, it's just not my cup of tea. I like my pens expensive for some reason. They are a good deal at times though. In Hong Kong, there are pen shops abound, from dirt cheap to sky high. One of the reasons I love Hong Kong. I can find anything I'm looking for, all in one city; family, pens, vinyl figurines, plushies, yeah... everything.

The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of.

Blaise Pascal

fpn_1336709688__pen_01.jpg

Tell me about any of your new pens and help with fountain pen quality control research!

Look at isellpens.com and hisnibs.com. They seem to carry the well reputed Chinese brands. The only one that particularly appeals to me is the Kaigelu 316.

wonder if you can find some vintage Japanese pens over there. I remember seeing a bunch of Seikosha clocks...

A man's real possession is his memory. In nothing else is he rich, in nothing else is he poor.

Look at isellpens.com and hisnibs.com. They seem to carry the well reputed Chinese brands. The only one that particularly appeals to me is the Kaigelu 316.

yes i went and had a look at isellpens. the hero model seems to be quite popular. any comments on that brand?

You may be able to pick up some Lanbitou pens. They are fairly cheap. I have two of them and they are by far my most used pens (more than the Lamy Safari I just picked up that I thought would win me over). Unfortunately I can't tell you the models of the pens I have because the text is in Chinese (or Japanese? Pardon my ignorance -- all I know is that there are some East Asian / South-East Asian letters on one of the pens).

They are nice weighty pens that write like you're on silk. I highly recommend them if you can find them.

Edited by F for Fountain

There are many good pen shops in hong kong..i think if you googled 'pen shops in hong kong' you shud get a few hits or search the forums as i think that question's been asked before

Edited by Apotheosis

https://imgur.com/8TOQh8v

"Oey !! Gimme back my pen !"