It's Here, My First Nakaya

MadAmos

I have been sitting on the fence for a while on this and I had a little overtime money available to get this done before the price increase. David, Angela and John made this a easy experience and the pen looks, feels and writes perfectly. The picture is not the best as my phone is just not a great camera but I had to post a picture...or it didn't happen :lol:

Nakaya Neo-Standard, Aka-Tamenuri with medium nib customized to cursive italic, the line width variation that John achieved is fantastic for a fine italic. Once I get to a better camera I will post some pictures of the writing.

Amos

The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once.

Albert Einstein

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ethernautrix

• schadowrider

• reprieve

• MadAmos

Congratulations on your new pen, it is a beauty. I really like the Neo Standard. The color on the pen has a nice depth to it and the gold clip matches the pen perfectly.

I hope the pen gives you many years of enjoyment.

You've got ... MY pen. We have identical Nakayas except mine is a standard broad nib and yours seems a tad more reddish. Although, as years pass, mine will catch up I understand. I've had mine about 6 weeks and it is incredible. I'm very glad I took the plunge.

Congrats -- beautiful pen! :thumbup: (I hope to be able to say the same within a week; i.e., "My first Nakaya!"). Looking forward to seeing some writing examples.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_qVJOiluU9_4/THp4iGeCcpI/AAAAAAAAA2A/xh2FRE0B8p0/s320/InkDropLogoFPN3.jpg (member since 8/28/10) Current pens:fpn_1314757310__pen_logo_collage_083011_450_hr.jpg

First thing, congratulations on buying a beautiful pen.

Like you I have been contenplayting buying a Nakaya pen for some time; 5 years. Three weeks ago I bit the bullet and ordered a pen directly from the company; sandblasted brier, black. On the ccompanies reckoning it takes about 6 weeks to get the pen; only 3-4 weeks to go.

Why look at what you haven't got, when you already have so much?

I have been sitting on the fence for a while on this and I had a little overtime money available to get this done before the price increase. David, Angela and John made this a easy experience and the pen looks, feels and writes perfectly. The picture is not the best as my phone is just not a great camera but I had to post a picture...or it didn't happen :lol:

Nakaya Neo-Standard, Aka-Tamenuri with medium nib customized to cursive italic, the line width variation that John achieved is fantastic for a fine italic. Once I get to a better camera I will post some pictures of the writing.

You've got ... MY pen. We have identical Nakayas except mine is a standard broad nib and yours seems a tad more reddish. Although, as years pass, mine will catch up I understand. I've had mine about 6 weeks and it is incredible. I'm very glad I took the plunge.

Yay to you both! The key phrase is always "my first Nakaya." Did someone say Nakayas are like potato chips? Not quite but "just one" is difficult. My Nakaya is always with me. It longs for another but makes due with Dani and Edison companions. :happyberet:

...writing only requires focus, and something to write on. —John August

...and a pen that's comfortable in the hand.—moi

Yay to you both! The key phrase is always "my first Nakaya." Did someone say Nakayas are like potato chips? Not quite but "just one" is difficult. My Nakaya is always with me. It longs for another but makes due with Dani and Edison companions. :happyberet:

I echo the congratulations all around! Beautiful pen choices all. Aka-tamenuri is a gorgeous finish.

Potato chips, and pretzels, are possibly marginally less addictive than Nakayas: I've purchased three Nakayas in as many months. :blush: Just one more...before the price increase.

Nakaya! Nakaya!

Hearty congratulations to you, Amos! That's one gorgeous pen that will subtly change in color over time, but one thing won't change: your love for Nakayas! I predict you'll see the family grow and increase and give you many years of great pleasure.

Did you ask John for a specific width for the cursive italic?

No all I asked for is the most line variation that was reasonable while remaining somewhat smooth using the Nakaya medium as a starting point it compares, on the vertical stroke with my .5mm chart. I will eventually get a few more in different nibs like a italic from a broad and probably a regular round medium flex.

I just looked closer and it is closer to a .6mm I have decided but it does depend on the paper of course.

Edited by MadAmos

Amos

Albert Einstein

Please do follow-up, i am very curious about that cursive italic for my next Nakaya.

"how do I know what I think until I write it down?"

You will love the pen! I have a Neo Standard in black with an extra broad nib that John modified to a cursive italic. This by far is one of the best writing pens in my collection.

Congratulations on your wise choice!

Regards,

Mike

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_qVJOiluU9_4/THp4iGeCcpI/AAAAAAAAA2A/xh2FRE0B8p0/s1600/InkDropLogoFPN3.jpg

We better put name tags on our pens, because I just got my first Nakaya: an aka-tamenuri Neo-Standard with a broad nib that Mike Masuyama ground to a cursive Italic. If we every meet at a pen show, we'll have to be careful not to mix up which pen is whose. :rolleyes:

I agree that John and Angela were wonderful to work with, as was Mike Masuyama. I love the pen.

HURRAY FOR YOU! YOUR PEN IS GORGEOUS BEYOND BELIEF ... Can't wait to hear what you think!

I am a member of the "can't eat just one club" and I am [im]patiently waiting for two Mottishaw-ed Nakaya pens: one soft M and one BB CI.

Paid on 7/27 ... But the pen show trumped me.

I AM JEALOUS!

Enjoy ... And please do report back.

As promised here is a scan with some samples of writing from the new Nakaya. This is on very inexpensive paper (like I am stuck with at work) and for my purposes it is perfect. This is definitely not smooth paper and it writes with just a bit of the feel of the paper with no hit of snagging on the fibers perfectly suitable for notes and everyday use. I can't wait to try it with some of my favorite inks like Tsuki Yo.

Amos

Albert Einstein

congrats on your nakaya, amos. i own a couple of decapods and am thinking of getting my third nakaya. possibly a piccolo or maybe a neo standard. not yet decided.

-rudy-